Nandroid backup failed

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Ugh! I made a Nandroid backup of my system and data so in case my phone had a bad crash or malfunction I could restore to an earlier point. Well lo and behold, my keyboard, digitizer, and whatever else controls the touch input were so wonky and messed up that I couldn't even SIGN IN to my Gmail account.

I did a cache and davlik wipe, tried resetting and rebooting, tried setting the Keyboard to stock. None of that worked. Disgusted, I decided to wipe everything and restore...

Lo and behold, when I tried to restore my Nandroid backup, it said "MD5 sums mismatched!" EFFF ME...

So now I'm here, dejected, flabbergasted, that I'm starting back at zero. Well, I'm not really starting at zero, since my SD card still has data on it, but I lost a lot of stuff.

From this point on, as long as I'm running a low spec, 2.2 phone like the OV (and I suspect I will be for a while), I've decided to try a new approach to Android. Rather than spending a lot of time and effort building a ROM environment that is tweaked for my liking, I may just run stock 2.2 and see if a handful of Market apps can make it function similar to a barebone stock ROM.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I would imagine what happened was somehow they were renamed when moving them around.

I cant remember if it checks for md5 when restoring parts of a nandroid but you can restore just the data. However I recommend titanium backup or mybackup so you can restore just certain apps and data next time.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I would imagine what happened was somehow they were renamed when moving them around.

I cant remember if it checks for md5 when restoring parts of a nandroid but you can restore just the data. However I recommend titanium backup or mybackup so you can restore just certain apps and data next time.

*slaps himself* You know what, I did rename the Restore file. But I did it so I would know exactly what it was, I currently have so many files on my SD that I forget what is what unless I name them SPECIFICALLY.

Do you think that changing the file name caused the MD5 sum error?

sellers86

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
*slaps himself* You know what, I did rename the Restore file. But I did it so I would know exactly what it was, I currently have so many files on my SD that I forget what is what unless I name them SPECIFICALLY.

It can't have spaces or weird characters. Instead of backside iho, name it backsideiho. That should work. If not, try deleting the md5 from the backup folder.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

curtis1973

King Of Pants
Aug 7, 2011
Visit site

usually the backups will still install if you rename them. i try to keep it simple with no symbols,etc in the name. only enough characters to name it rom name. like backside,froyo,harmonia,etc. haven't had an issue that way yet. i was told adding odd characters might result in a failure upon reinstall,but i can't verify that any. recovery might be able to actually use symbols,etc in the name.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
usually the backups will still install if you rename them. i try to keep it simple with no symbols,etc in the name. only enough characters to name it rom name. like backside,froyo,harmonia,etc. haven't had an issue that way yet. i was told adding odd characters might result in a failure upon reinstall,but i can't verify that any. recovery might be able to actually use symbols,etc in the name.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

Thanks man! I honestly am scratching my head about it. I DID use a hyphen in the restore file name. Maybe that was the problem. :(

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7