Hopefully someone can help me diagnos this OV!

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Hey OV peeps,

My OV is working great, with ONE notable exception. I've been running LeslieAnne's Aeneas ROM for the past 7 days or so, with minimal apps and it's been great, ran perfect. So a day ago I decided to add more apps on top of my minimal necessary and see what happens. Well today I was on YouTube and the OV had a hard crash. I could not get it to respond or go to homepage or even force close. So I opted to pull the battery for a hard reset after no other options worked.

When I turned it back on, the digitizer was haywire! Couldn't click on an app icon consistently, couldn't scroll or zoom, and the keyboard? Forget it. Pressing one letter would click another letter, delete a word, etc. I couldn't even sign into Gmail. The phone worked, but it was so wonky it was unuseable for all intensive purposes.

Long story short, this problem has come up before on different ROMs, but ONLY infrequently. I've tried everything I can as a regular non-dev to fix it, but nothing works. All I can do is wipe everything and reinstall the ROM, which does fix it, but I lose my /data.

I'm wondering if anyone could maybe give me a hint at what is the issue. I've tried to fix it without a "clean install" but nothing works. Anybody think they can help me out here.

Thanks.

Octahedron

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Hey OV peeps,

My OV is working great, with ONE notable exception. I've been running LeslieAnne's Aeneas ROM for the past 7 days or so, with minimal apps and it's been great, ran perfect. So a day ago I decided to add more apps on top of my minimal necessary and see what happens. Well today I was on YouTube and the OV had a hard crash. I could not get it to respond or go to homepage or even force close. So I opted to pull the battery for a hard reset after no other options worked.

When I turned it back on, the digitizer was haywire! Couldn't click on an app icon consistently, couldn't scroll or zoom, and the keyboard? Forget it. Pressing one letter would click another letter, delete a word, etc. I couldn't even sign into Gmail. The phone worked, but it was so wonky it was unuseable for all intensive purposes.

Long story short, this problem has come up before on different ROMs, but ONLY infrequently. I've tried everything I can as a regular non-dev to fix it, but nothing works. All I can do is wipe everything and reinstall the ROM, which does fix it, but I lose my /data.

I'm wondering if anyone could maybe give me a hint at what is the issue. I've tried to fix it without a "clean install" but nothing works. Anybody think they can help me out here.

Thanks.

Wipe everything, and I mean everything from recovery. Also, how are you flashing your roms? That could be an issue.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Wipe everything, and I mean everything from recovery. Also, how are you flashing your roms? That could be an issue.

Thanks. I did go to recovery after the digitizer went haywire, and I tried wiping the davlik and cache partitions first. That didn't fix it. Then I tried doing a factory reset in the recovery - no fix. So that's when I just reinstalled everything, wiping boot and system.

When I install a ROM, I'm using JerryScript's CWM Green Recovery.

Like I said, it works just fine 90% of the time. Then my phone seemingly freezes randomly, and it's just the digitizer that is messed up.

It just seems like it's not a hardware issue, I think it's something in Android itself :(

Octahedron

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I did go to recovery after the digitizer went haywire, and I tried wiping the davlik and cache partitions first. That didn't fix it. Then I tried doing a factory reset in the recovery - no fix. So that's when I just reinstalled everything, wiping boot and system.

When I install a ROM, I'm using JerryScript's CWM Green Recovery.

Like I said, it works just fine 90% of the time. Then my phone seemingly freezes randomly, and it's just the digitizer that is messed up.

It just seems like it's not a hardware issue, I think it's something in Android itself :(

Do you use any task killers/battery apps? Also, try Cannibal Touch Recovery.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Do you use any task killers/battery apps? Also, try Cannibal Touch Recovery.

I have not used any task killers, mainly because I don't install apps that need permission to run in the background. I'm on Aeneas which is a stock Froyo ROM, so battery life is pretty good.

I can look into Cannibal Touch Recovery. But other than being touch, does it have any features or stability that CWM doesn't? Do you know maybe?

I'm not exactly dissatisfied with CWM, it seems like it works pretty well. But I'm no expert so I definitely could be missing something haha :D

Octahedron

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
I have not used any task killers, mainly because I don't install apps that need permission to run in the background. I'm on Aeneas which is a stock Froyo ROM, so battery life is pretty good.

I can look into Cannibal Touch Recovery. But other than being touch, does it have any features or stability that CWM doesn't? Do you know maybe?

I'm not exactly dissatisfied with CWM, it seems like it works pretty well. But I'm no expert so I definitely could be missing something haha :D

Touch is just a feature. It's a mix of all the cwm based recoveries and is being generally accepted as the main recovery right now.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Touch is just a feature. It's a mix of all the cwm based recoveries and is being generally accepted as the main recovery right now.

Well that's awesome, thanks! Idk if this will fix the wonky digitizer or not. But I checked the Cannibal Thread, and it looks awesome, so I appreciate u letting me know! Will be downloading and flashing this in the next day or so :D

Octahedron

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Well that's awesome, thanks! Idk if this will fix the wonky digitizer or not. But I checked the Cannibal Thread, and it looks awesome, so I appreciate u letting me know! Will be downloading and flashing this in the next day or so :D

I was thinking maybe you had a bad flash. If not you probably just have a faulty OV. You could hassle with VM and get a replacement.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
You say that you try doing a factory reset and that doesn't help, so you go back into recovery, wipe /boot and /system and then flash your rom? If I am reading that correctly, that isn't giving you a clean flash.

I would recommend backing up your SD card. Wipe boot system data cache sdcard and dalvik 3 times. Then, connect your phone via USB and copy over your rom zip file to flash.

Sent from my VM670 using Android Central Forums

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
You say that you try doing a factory reset and that doesn't help, so you go back into recovery, wipe /boot and /system and then flash your rom? If I am reading that correctly, that isn't giving you a clean flash.

I would recommend backing up your SD card. Wipe boot system data cache sdcard and dalvik 3 times. Then, connect your phone via USB and copy over your rom zip file to flash.

Sent from my VM670 using Android Central Forums

Thanks Cole. Atm I don't have a computer set up to copy over USB. But I did wipe the partitions multiple times. Then I reimstalled Aeneas, and it works fine. I don't know why, it just does. Shrug. ;)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay