How to go about shell painting?

DraeHD

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Well I have the sudden strong urge to repaint my OV to a new color of choice.

Nothing flashy and no designs, just a new solid color.

Seeing as standard is black I was thinking just silver or white, with black rocker buttons but then I realized the hard buttons (home/etc) are slate grey also...

Any ideas?

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
White. Although white is difficult to do correctly. I suggest using white rustoleum spray paint and covering the parts you don't want painted with packing tape or electrical tape. Also wait a couple days between coats because spray paint bubbles if applied in multiple coats over short periods

Edit: also once painted spray the whole thing with the clear finishing spray so it creates a protective layer between the elements and the paint.

MasterTec

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I think if i were to do that i would just disassemble the phone and go to town!

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Not to burst your bubble, but couldn't you just get a new case or skin on the phone? My V has a $5 plastic case I bought from amazon six months ago. Still pocketable for me even with the case on, and no funky paint smell. Once the case wears out, I can always get a different color. (Assuming I still have the phone in the next few months...)

Plus, a case (+ decent screen protector) can help reduce damage to the phone if accidentally dropped. Paint can't do that.

well ok... maybe paint the buttons?

Last edited:

skurtov

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Not to burst your bubble, but couldn't you just get a new case or skin on the phone? My V has a $5 plastic case I bought from amazon six months ago. Still pocketable for me even with the case on, and no funky paint smell. Once the case wears out, I can always get a different color. (Assuming I still have the phone in the next few months...)

Plus, a case (+ decent screen protector) can help reduce damage to the phone if accidentally dropped. Paint can't do that.

well ok... maybe paint the buttons?

What's the fun in that though, and if you could, I've tried painting my OV before but the only issue is that the paint begins to rub off from the oils and sweat off your hands. Any recommendations on a clear coat I could use.

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Check out this topic:
forums.androidcentral.com/virgin-mobile-optimus-v/144850-semi-brick-yeah-need-help-experts-embarrasing-haha.html

The guy that needed help painted his V and posted pictures and some things he did to it. You could pm him. Just don't revive the thread :D

Sent from my AOKP Swagged Out Nook Color