LG Optimus V ESN Headache

DrZoidbergAndBender

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
Long story short. Bought one LG Optimus V on craigslist couldn't activate it. Bought another one on craigslist and this one was successfully activated. I was about to have the phone for a month then went to Knott's and lost it there. Tried to get first one activated no luck. Googled around for answers and I checked the ESN on CheckESNFree.com - The worlds only free instant online ESN checker! and it said it was a clean ESN. I tried activating it but I couldn't. So what can I do?

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I just did and they said it was a suspended account due to theft. What I don't get is why it still shows as a clean ESN?

Lesson learned: don't believe everything you see on the internet.

That website shows my ESN as being bad, yet this is an Asurion replacement that is most decidedly activated and working.

But now that you know that you purchased a stolen device, I think the right thing to do would be to surrender the phone to Virgin. You can get in a lot of trouble for knowingly purchasing a stolen item. Just my 2 cents.

thenameisnigel

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Lesson learned: don't believe everything you see on the internet.

That website shows my ESN as being bad, yet this is an Asurion replacement that is most decidedly activated and working.

But now that you know that you purchased a stolen device, I think the right thing to do would be to surrender the phone to Virgin. You can get in a lot of trouble for knowingly purchasing a stolen item. Just my 2 cents.

Sprint MVNO handsets are always going to be reported bad the website says

Sent from my Epic 4G Touch running the world's best operating system.

interex

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Wrong...

You need to understand what a "bad ESN" is first. A "bad ESN" is an ESN tied to a device that is either active on an account (in use) or locked to an account, either because of TOS violations, or failure to pay the ETF.

If you check the ESN of a phone you are currently using, it should say it has a BAD ESN because it's active, meaning someone else can't just grab that ESN and activate it on their account.

If you check an ESN and it says it is CLEAN, this means the ESN is not tied to an account, making it eligible for activation on an account.

Now, the addition of the "Not Postpay" notification, this notification is given to us by Sprint, stating that the ESN is no longer listed on Sprint's PostPay database. This should occur when you check a Sprint MVNO ESN, such as Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile, Credo, iWireless, etc... it can also occur when you enter the ESN of a Sprint device that has been migrated away from Sprint's PostPay database to a Sprint PrePay MVNO such as PlatinumTel, PrepaYd Wireless, etc.

Please make sure you understand how things work before you say bad things about it.

-Shane
/www.CheckESNFree.com/

Reactions: mxnerd and mlson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781