Radioshack Wireless?

skurtov

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I've been reading a little of this on Endgadget but apparently RadioShack has contracted with Cricket to make their own MVNO. They have plans starting at $25, 300 minutes, and unlimited data and text (I wonder where they got that idea from). But long story short, they're selling the Huawei Mercury Ice for $150, 1.4ghz, 512mb of ram, 4 in. screen, which is respectable, considering it manages to beat up the One V is screen size and speed. The real kicker is that Cricket Wireless does have significantly faster 3g speeds.

Last edited:

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Cricket has a smaller system than Sprint, and contracts with Sprint for roaming. So while it may be faster in Cricket specific areas, in many places it won't be faster.

As for the Huawei... It may beat the One V on specs, but the triumph also beat the Optimus V in specs and we know how that turned out. I would take a One V over a Huawei any time.

emburybrett1

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Cricket has a smaller system than Sprint, and contracts with Sprint for roaming. So while it may be faster in Cricket specific areas, in many places it won't be faster.

As for the Huawei... It may beat the One V on specs, but the triumph also beat the Optimus V in specs and we know how that turned out. I would take a One V over a Huawei any time.

I hear by many Huawei phones are cheaply made and the bulid quality is poor. But for data speeds Im using a Blackberry pearl 8120 (Still kicking after almost 4 years!) on T-Mobile that only has edge and it faster then speeds i've had on my optimus v.

here is a link more info about plans
http://www.phonedog.com/2012/09/04/...-cricket-powered-and-arriving-on-september-5/

Last edited:

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I hear by many Huawei phones are cheaply made and the bulid quality is poor. But for data speeds Im using a Blackberry pearl 8120 (Still kicking after almost 4 years!) on T-Mobile that only has edge and it faster then speeds i've had on my optimus v.

here is a link more info about plans
http://www.phonedog.com/2012/09/04/...-cricket-powered-and-arriving-on-september-5/

My younger cousin just got a Huawei Fusion android phone and his older sister got a ZTE Avail android, both are the same size, similarly shaped, cheaply made, and same speed processor, but the Huawei just blows the ZTE away. Its actually very speedy. I'd compare it to the OV actually. The ZTE is lagggggggy as molasses... and that's after I overclocked it to 800 MHz.

skurtov

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Even though the build quality might be plasticy. It's still a significant upgrade over the OV. It's actually been rated fairly well because if the phones over all performance. Great screen, acceptable processor, and from what I've read it has a pretty great camera

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

curtis1973

King Of Pants
Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
ill tell you a better buy then both of those devices. the kyocera rise. had an opportunity to use it for several hours earlier and i was impressed. as fast as the elite and running ics. only $99 and can probably be gotten a little cheaper from other non-vm retailers. it held its signal well vs my elite which is always losing 3G. now id give radio shack a nod vs vm on their $25 plan though. but other than that id say for $99 the rise is looking good for my $45 a month.

emburybrett1

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
ill tell you a better buy then both of those devices. the kyocera rise. had an opportunity to use it for several hours earlier and i was impressed. as fast as the elite and running ics. only $99 and can probably be gotten a little cheaper from other non-vm retailers. it held its signal well vs my elite which is always losing 3G. now id give radio shack a nod vs vm on their $25 plan though. but other than that id say for $99 the rise is looking good for my $45 a month.

I looked at the plans and this is what i found. Not the best unless your your looking for a non smartphone.

This is from NBC

Radio Shack to offer no-contract wireless service - Technolog on NBCNews.com

Radio Shack's service will offer a $25 plan with 300 voice minutes and unlimited text, as well as a $35 plan with 1,000 voice minutes and unlimited texting for feature phones.

For smartphones, plans include a $50 per month unlimited voice and data plan with 1GB full speed 3G data and a $60 a month unlimited voice and data plan with 2.5GB full speed 3G data. Both include unlimited data usage. The more expensive plan includes more data usage before downloads begin slowing down.

Last edited:

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
If I went to Cricket I would simply get their copy of the One V or see about porting my Evo V.

By the way, when testing internet speeds, while the connection does matter, it's not the whole story. On the OV, it's so underpowered that while browsing you actually can wait just as long for the page to render as it did for it to download. Faster phones feel like the internet is faster because there is less lag.

skurtov

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
If I went to Cricket I would simply get their copy of the One V or see about porting my Evo V.

By the way, when testing internet speeds, while the connection does matter, it's not the whole story. On the OV, it's so underpowered that while browsing you actually can wait just as long for the page to render as it did for it to download. Faster phones feel like the internet is faster because there is less lag.

That's probably why my mom's Elite feels that it loads things at light speed compared to my OV.

emburybrett1

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
That's probably why my mom's Elite feels that it loads things at light speed compared to my OV.

thats really what it is. when I had my Htc Inspire with at&t when on edge (about the same as virgin mobile) pages would seem to load just as fast as 3G but it was really just that you could start looking at the page without it slowing the phone down. your really just waiting till the phone will get done vs the downloading of the page.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair