USB port starting to fail, anyone tried to fix this?

economichitman

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
The usb port on my OV is starting to fail, it doesnt charge unless I pull the cord at an angle to put torque on the jack. Can the port be re-soldered to the board, or is it the little set of pins that stick out that break? Has anyone tried to re-solder the usb port? Any tips?

economichitman

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
R u sure its not the cord

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Android Central Forums

Yeah, I've had the same problem with multiple chargers. The connection is only good if I torque the cable in a direction to apply pressure on the jack, then set it down carefully. I've seen similar issues with dc input jacks on laptops that needed re-soldering.

notown

SAMLOKA
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
sorry to not answer your question specifically but i think i remember someone ruined their port and then just got tired and got a spare wall battery charger for a few bucks it came with a spare battery to just switch

bjzapp

Where did u hear tht word
Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
yeah....soldering isn't a good idea.
Well, if you're really good and have like a super MINI sized pencil and controlled heat.
You could potentially burn-out or break another connection.
Try the other methods as mentioned but just dont break the actual pins in there...then you're screwed!
;)

economichitman

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I dont think my soldering iron has a small enough tip. I think I'll just put some hot glue over the usb jack to hold it to the board and hope it makes it last a lil longer till I get an Evo V

snobro

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I experienced this same problem a month or so ago. The charging port (USB port) will become a haven for any lint that resides in you pockets. I suggest you take a safety pen or something really skinny but rigid and carefully get the extraneous material out of the hole. This will fix your problem, in theory. Just remember to take your time so that you don't potentially break anything.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

itzpremix

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
This may not solve your problem, but it is helpful when trying to EITHER give/receive things between your computer and phone. Download "DropSpot" from the Google Play Store. No USB cord needed, I love it. Also, you may want to look into wireless charging ports.

economichitman

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I experienced this same problem a month or so ago. The charging port (USB port) will become a haven for any lint that resides in you pockets. I suggest you take a safety pen or something really skinny but rigid and carefully get the extraneous material out of the hole. This will fix your problem, in theory. Just remember to take your time so that you don't potentially break anything.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

This helped a bit. There was a lot of lint packed up against the inside of the port. Thanks.

ificanucan2

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem. Ended up returning phone 3x before I figured it out. There is a small tongue inside the port. Take a jewelers screwdriver or small penknife and gently push the tongue down... very little force is needed. Test with charger. Push down more if needed. Best of luck. Worked for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12