LG Optimus V Q&A - Newb Friendly

damiandownfall

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I saw a thread like this elsewhere on Android Central and I thought it would be great to have one here as well.

What's expected are quick little questions for quick little answers.

To ask any question, simply reply to this thread. To answer a question, quote/multiquote the person(s) you are trying to answer by selecting the quote option.

Remember, this is supposed to be NEWB FRIENDLY!!! Please for the love of Android and everything that is holy, do NOT TROLL or LAUGH at another's experience!

Enjoy.

Last edited:

damiandownfall

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I'll start off with my own question.

Can the LGOV support a 32gb micro SDHC card? I ask because of the HC part... Never had it before.

Also what about SDHC-1?

To clarify, these are the ones I'm talking about -
7avy6ypu.jpg
dytutusu.jpg

Last edited:

bjzapp

Where did u hear tht word
Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Hey there.

Yes, this card will most certainly work. I have the same one in my OV(right pic). Mine is a class 5.
What you have pictured on the right is a class 1 I believe. The left is class 4. This basically means the higher the class, the greater/better the read/write speed to/from the card.
The HC part just means that is resistant to cold/heat temps and vibrations(dropping phone let's say).
They are inexpensive.
I have a ton of MP3/4's on mine, so that's why I went with a 32G. Also a good choice to keep all your Nandroid/ROM backups;)

damiandownfall

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Hey there.

Yes, this card will most certainly work. I have the same one in my OV(right pic). Mine is a class 5.
What you have pictured on the right is a class 1 I believe. The left is class 4. This basically means the higher the class, the greater/better the read/write speed to/from the card.
The HC part just means that is resistant to cold/heat temps and vibrations(dropping phone let's say).
They are inexpensive.
I have a ton of MP3/4's on mine, so that's why I went with a 32G. Also a good choice to keep all your Nandroid/ROM backups;)

Odd. On Amazon the right one is more expensive than the left one so I assumed it was better... Should I buy the left or right? Because one is SanDisk Ultra and one is just plain SanDisk.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
This basically means the higher the class, the greater/better the read/write speed to/from the card.
This is not correct. The class # only designates write speed, not read speed.
Read speed is not regulated and varies from manufacturer and type of SD card, as well as Android Phones.
The Sandisk 16GB class 4 micro SD card has the best read speeds in our V. New, mine tested out at 40MB/s.

The read speed is the most important for Android Phones for accessing apps that are one the SD card faster, better music playback, etc., etc.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: LG Optimus V Q&A - Newb Friendly

40?? Wow that's fast. I just read Amazon's specs on the 32gb one and it said 4mb/s read on class 4.
Test was done with "SD Tools" from the PlayStore.
I think the info from Amazon is a typo. It probably should read 40MB/s
Most SD cards claim to have those read speeds, put the proof is in the test from "SD Tools". As stated in my previous post, the read speed is not regulated and will also vary depending on the Android Phone it is being used in.

- - - Updated - - -

40?? Wow that's fast. I just read Amazon's specs on the 32gb one and it said 4mb/s read on class 4.
Test was done with "SD Tools" from the PlayStore.
I think the info from Amazon is a typo. It probably should read 40MB/s
Most SD cards claim to have those read speeds, put the proof is in the test from "SD Tools". As stated in my previous post, the read speed is not regulated and will also vary depending on the Android Phone it is being used in.

tli

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site

So much misunderstanding and misinfo, if people would just read the info provided, one would see that Class 4 is indeed rated at 4MB/s *minimum* speed.

damiandownfall

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

So much misunderstanding and misinfo, if people would just read the info provided, one would see that Class 4 is indeed rated at 4MB/s *minimum* speed.

I did notice the minimum part before I posted. I agree with you.

bjzapp

Where did u hear tht word
Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
This is not correct. The class # only designates write speed, not read speed.
Read speed is not regulated and varies from manufacturer and type of SD card, as well as Android Phones.
The Sandisk 16GB class 4 micro SD card has the best read speeds in our V. New, mine tested out at 40MB/s.

The read speed is the most important for Android Phones for accessing apps that are one the SD card faster, better music playback, etc., etc.

Yes master. ;)
Correction is noted.
Musta been typing too fast again and not careful.....
so gimme a read speed on the 32GB card then.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes master. ;)
Correction is noted.
Musta been typing too fast again and not careful.....
so gimme a read speed on the 32GB card then.
Nobody has tested the read speed of 32GB micro SD card with the V that I know of. I guess you will have to be the first.
I would lean toward getting the Sandisk class 4 as they seem to have the best read speeds with our V (personal choice).