Browser redirects to vm on 3g connection

br.hoffman

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
What it in the world is going on? I hope someone has some insight.

I have an optimus v and today is the "due date" at the end of my first month.

I have money on my account and expect that at midnight it will zap me for the $25 and continue on as expected.

However....I cannot use the data today on 3g at all. The browser only will go to the virgin mobile site. My weather app won't load, fb won't work, etc.

any thoughts?

anon(141613)

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like the infamous "redirect of death", which has been reported around the Web for some time, and can apparently only be resolved by calling VM customer service.

Reactions: br.hoffman

sdxben

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

I have money on my account and expect that at midnight it will zap me for the $25 and continue on as expected.

However....I cannot use the data today on 3g at all. The browser only will go to the virgin mobile site. My weather app won't load, fb won't work, etc.

any thoughts?
Yes, this happens all the time to a lot of us. Either call virgin mobile and they will manually reset your month right away, if you do it yourself on the web you will be charged for a second month right away. Or wait 24 hours and then data will stream just fine. Sometimes a reboot can fix it. Sorry, this is the price we pay for the (cheap) price we pay.

Reactions: br.hoffman

br.hoffman

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
A small price to pay indeed. Thanks for the info, I'll just reset it.

They must hire crappy programmers for their site. Their payment process is also a nightmare.

I guess you get what you pay for. $25 sure beats the $90 I was paying with big red. So glad I got out of my contract 6 months early!

duane_black

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

any thoughts?

Exact same thing happened to me today. VM has my CC information as well. After some google fu I logged into the VM website and clicked the " restart my plan month " link in the right hand pane. Restarted my phone and everything immediately worked. This will restart your plan but did not matter to me as today the payment was due anyway. I just wish my data disconnect issue was that easy to resolve. :)

br.hoffman

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Exact same thing happened to me today. VM has my CC information as well. After some google fu I logged into the VM website and clicked the " restart my plan month " link in the right hand pane. Restarted my phone and everything immediately worked. This will restart your plan but did not matter to me as today the payment was due anyway. I just wish my data disconnect issue was that easy to resolve. :)

This is kind of in a different direction, but.....FYI - I'd watch my cc bill carefully if I were you. I and others have had issues with their site, so I am not sure about their servers.

Once I had a erroneous charge on my bill and they couldn't tell me what it was for.

Next, I had trouble placing a charge on their site. It kept telling me my exp. date or validation code were wrong (which I knew were right). So then I pulled out a new card I had just gotten, activated it and tried to make a purchase on their site. It still didn't work, but someone in Canada started making charges on my account the same day.

Another time I tried again to use a card on their site. It would look like it went through, but never showed up on my account. Or it would throw an error like before. Then I got a call from my cc fraud dept asking me if I had authorized 9 charges to vm (I was persistent). I explained that I was trying to but it kept failing. They said all charges were authorized and pending the batch being closed by vm. VM customer service said the charges were all denied.

After that, I gave up and now buy my pins elsewhere.

duane_black

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up. I removed my cc information tonight. I see the top up cards all over the place. Getting my info jacked would be just my luck.

OrlandoDFree

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
When there's a WiFi network available, you can bypass the VM redirect by turning WiFi on in your network settings. Just connect to the local WiFi network, and all your http requests will go through that instead of through 3G.