I think i'm bricked....

blaqbird

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Long story short, I got stuck in LG's stock recovery and I'm not sure what to do. I don't know if I'm bricked but whenever I reboot, I reboot into recovery. I'm sure that if I can get root I can work on getting a custom recovery and install a ROM. So I guess my question is, what do I do now? Is there a way to get root if I can't get in to change to debugging mode?

blaqbird

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
youll have to find a completely stock ROM and install it from the stock recovery. well, im not master of android phones but ive done a few so far and it seems the stock recovery will install the stock rom over whatever is already on the phone.

finding the rom itself is a problem though.

you can load the update.zip onto the root of the sd and install it from the recovery, then in the stock rom go back and start from scratch with the usb debugging option

do I need to rename the stock rom to update.zip or is it a specific file I need to download? I tried renaming and installing it as update.zip from stock recovery but I get the message signature verification field.

Last edited:

anon(161369)

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
you need to download the android sdk first on your computer then open a cmd window and access adb shell through there

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

blaqbird

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
you need to download the android sdk first on your computer then open a cmd window and access adb shell through there

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I have the sdk, every time I attempt to access the shell I get an error saying the directory doesn't exist.

primetechv2

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I have the exact same problem. I accidentally flashed a Sprint ROM while trying to recover from something less horrific.

So far I have the stock, Deodexed ROM available, and enough drivers for the phone to be recognized when I plug it in. However, I don't think I'll be allowed to mount the SD card through the phone now.

I'll keep you posted on whether that stock thingey'll actually help...

primetechv2

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Got an error upon trying to change the stock ROM to "update.zip" and apply it.

Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

Edit 1: Looks like this can't be done anyway. Rats.

Edit 2: I got industrious and tried to re-sign the ROM ZIP as "update.zip" with a few different programs. One of them succeeded, but the phone still ignored the patch. Probably because it's an LG thing not a Google one...shoot.

Last edited:

FuzyBaffy

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I had installed the
recovery-thunderc-v-1.2.0-GNM.img
available here
Custom Recovery Optimus V - Android Forums

When I pissed about the internet not working one day on my rooted stock rom I went to the Settings Menu under privacy and decided to erase all data to get it to stock. Well it didn't like that i had the thunder recovery and kept on boot looping to it.

No matter what Rom I loaded gingerbread, stock or whatever it would just loop to recovery. Well It wasn't the ROM that was the problem it was the recovery.

The recovery must have left some original LG code or area that has a flag that keeps on telling it to reboot to recovery and clear cache but the hacked recovery doesn't turn off that flag (wherever it may be) and it loops.

When you flash a nandroid backup with Thunder recovery it won't flash the recovery. Thankfully Thunder has ADB root setup when you boot to recovery so you just have to flash your stock rom nandroid backup and then flash the STOCK recovery image overwriting the thunder recovery image MANUALLY. This will allow it to reset that nasty LG flag and then it proceeds to boot to your stock image.

Then the boot loops stop. I would get away from stock just in case you should acidentally use the settings privacy menu to wipe your device.

Here is the stock image with some instructions but you can't really use them completely. You will need to adb the STOCK recovery from within your custom bootloader.

How to: Return your Optimus V to Stock(Tested working)

Just wanted to let you guys know what is going on. Don't do anything stupid and really screw up your phone.

You need to save battery life to fix your phone don't waste it, it won't charge without booting. Although you can get an external "Universal Travel Charger" that will charge any kind of phone battery.

Last edited:

blaqbird

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Tried taking it to Radio Shack, the rep told me that it seems like I'm missing the android files needed to actually start up and since I was outside the 30 day window by 4 days they couldn't swap it for me. Suggested I call VM and see if they can replace it since it might be under a 90 day warranty.

blaqbird

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Looks like the problem is worse, no longer boots into the stock recovery, guess I'm officially bricked. Went ahead and called VM for a replacement. Glad I'm still under the initial 90 day warranty. Though....they're outta stock so i gotta wait for them to get stocked before they send it.

primetechv2

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The awkward thing here is I don't actually have a working "adb shell" either... I've been to both of those pages, and without being able to get shell access, they're not exactly helpful :p

My Virgin Optimus currently thinks it's a Sprint Optimus, which may need its very own thread >.> Long story.