PRL Swap for the V on VM (latest PRL for Sprint Towers).

asadullah

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
So here is what I've seen so far. I can connect to the non-sprint towers, but they kick me off every min or so and my phone has to reconnect. The data connection will load google.com but no other sites and all searches fail. Phone calls do not go through either. I get the message that was mentioned earlier about purchasing a card.

This could mean that it doesn't work...or it could mean that not all towers work. I could swear that I was roaming and making a call a few days ago. Maybe Virgin saw threads like this one and at XDA and put a stop to it. I don't know...

I'm pretty sure that they don't allow roaming. I'm not saying stop trying, try the (I think it was) alltel prl that sprint and verizon use.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
FYI if you want to force roaming, you need com.lge.lgehiddenmenu installed. This is not to be confused with com.lge.hiddenmenu. I have only found it in the stock rom. All the other builds don't have it.

Reactions: ejlmd

ejlmd

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
FYI if you want to force roaming, you need com.lge.lgehiddenmenu installed. This is not to be confused with com.lge.hiddenmenu. I have only found it in the stock rom. All the other builds don't have it.

Can you please post it and how to install in non-stock rom?
Is it just an .apk?
Thanks.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Can you please post it and how to install in non-stock rom?
Is it just an .apk?
Thanks.

You can get the .apk from the stock rom. You'll find it here \system\app\LgHiddenMenu.apk . If you have the stock rom backed up, restore it, copy that file over to the microsd, and then restore your preferred rom. I doubt it will install on any of the other roms though.

Alternatively, you can load the stock rom. Follow the directions here: [TIP] Force roaming without hack. | Android Phones Tips and Tricks

And then restore your preferred rom. The settings you set for roaming will carry over. If you ever want to reverse the settings, you'll have to restore the stock rom again, use that guide, and then restore your preferred rom again. You can change the same settings with QPST, but that is a but riskier if you don't know what you are doing.

Reactions: ejlmd

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I keep getting
"failed..phone does not answer"

lame

Even if we can't roam, doesn't the updated PRL file have an updated list of the sprint towers that we can use? Also, even if we set the phone to home only (no roaming), I think location services will still be able to use the verizon towers for better "location servicing".

Correct me if I'm wrong.

danhalen

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that they don't allow roaming. I'm not saying stop trying, try the (I think it was) alltel prl that sprint and verizon use.

I tried alltel 30043 and had data connectivity but could not call my voicemail to test phone connectivity. Wasn't sure which one to try to i just tried the highest numbers one they had.

Takenover83

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
If anyone out there is still on stock Virgin Mobile PRL 61007. Would you please back it up (instructions post #1), so we can confirm the hash-checks with the 61007 we have? Thanks.

Takenover83

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Yea it works fine. But I would feel better if someone would upload a fresh 61007 from the Optimus V, so I can compare it to the one floating around a few other sources.

asadullah

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
Yea it works fine. But I would feel better if someone would upload a fresh 61007 from the Optimus V, so I can compare it to the one floating around a few other sources.

If you want me to record me pulling it of my phone I will or just call me a dumbass or liar right out at this point I don't know what people are thinking. I'm confused as to which of these two you think I am.

If you think I'm dumb check out the videos about android I made and the tools/roms/guides for android and threads I made on xda and android forums. Of course that should really tell you about how much time I've put into helping others so I've no need to lie.

Takenover83

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Calm down killer. I just want a '2nd' 61007 to compare to. It has nothing to do with not believing you. If the Hash checks match-up from a a person who has never messed around with PRL's, then we will know 100% for sure that the Sprint PRL and the Virgin Mobile PRL 61007 are the same. Either way, you took it kind of bad, when I am simply playing it safe here. It's good to have 2 backup's :)

If you want me to record me pulling it of my phone I will or just call me a dumbass or liar right out at this point I don't know what people are thinking. I'm confused as to which of these two you think I am.

If you think I'm dumb check out the videos about android I made and the tools/roms/guides for android and threads I made on xda and android forums. Of course that should really tell you about how much time I've put into helping others so I've no need to lie.

Last edited:

asadullah

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand what the big deal is. Thanks for posting 61007 asadullah.

No prob.

Just a little info for others a prl stays the same until the next one is released. For instance if you have 61007 nothing on it will change. If there are changes though they will release a new prl (61008).
So a prl 61007 will remain the same whether you got it ten years ago or today

digitaljeannie

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Virgin Mobile phones use sprint PRL's. The current PRL for Sprint is 60676. The difference is in the modem settings. Virgin Mobile phones are set to "Home Only", meaning that they will only utilize native Sprint coverage towers and no others. If you're advanced enough you can use QPST to go in and change the roaming preference settings to something like "Automatic" and see if that makes any difference. Worst case scenario, you pay attention to what they were before and put them back when you're done with your experiment.

nookcolor

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
The difference is in the modem settings. Virgin Mobile phones are set to "Home Only", meaning that they will only utilize native Sprint coverage towers and no others. If you're advanced enough you can use QPST to go in and change the roaming preference settings to something like "Automatic" and see if that makes any difference.

Using the service menu, I set the roaming option to any, and the the band preference also to any (from PCS....I'd think you have to change that, too), but it seems to connect to the same 4 towers. Only difference I noticed is that it swaps the CID around for the diferent towers. I'm using the OpenSignal app. Is there a better app for this that would give me more and better info. It doesn't tell me what network it connects to, only CID's for the towers... I admit that I'm not even sure what I'm doing here. :)

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Using the service menu, I set the roaming option to any, and the the band preference also to any (from PCS....I'd think you have to change that, too), but it seems to connect to the same 4 towers. Only difference I noticed is that it swaps the CID around for the diferent towers. I'm using the OpenSignal app. Is there a better app for this that would give me more and better info. It doesn't tell me what network it connects to, only CID's for the towers... I admit that I'm not even sure what I'm doing here. :)

Roaming does not work as far I saw (see a few pages ago). If you want to test it, set roaming to "affiliate only" instead of "any". When roaming there will be a triangle in your status bar.

Little Joe

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I loaded the sprint prl to my optimus v and forced roaming got 1x only and phones says welcome to verizon when I try to make a call and no data access. I backed up my original prl file

61007.prl

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt