PRL Swap for the V on VM (latest PRL for Sprint Towers).

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Well, it worked for a split second, and then I guess they caught on. Oh well. It looks like they locked all the pages I had tested. The chimps that run Virgin are learning at a faster rate than I thought.

z0mbi3

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
i appreciate your reply confirming you updated your device's PRL without installing CDMA Workshop.

And so far, do you believe your voice and/or data service has been improved in speed, reliability, availability, or improved battery life (seemingly the primary reasons for making the alteration to the stock PRL list)?

Or contrarily, has there been any deficit you perceive for having performed this action?

Thanks so much...

Well its been about a week since I updated my PRL (61677) and to tell the truth I haven't really noticed much difference. No deficit that I've noticed either. I'm gonna switch back to stock and for a little bit and see if there is any noticeable change. I'm sure results vary by location though.

My current Rom: aospCmod for the netflix :)

bondbeau

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Curious Indeed...

Well its been about a week since I updated my PRL (61677) and to tell the truth I haven't really noticed much difference. No deficit that I've noticed either. I'm gonna switch back to stock and for a little bit and see if there is any noticeable change. I'm sure results vary by location though.

My current Rom: aospCmod for the netflix :)

Please do report and let us know what you find...

Admittedly, though i am quite curious, i'm also not terribly adventurous (either in sentiment or skill level) to play with internal settings as described here unless it results in a substantial improvement in some fashion.

The reason i was searching in the first place was for the rather unlikely hope, as it's apparently being revealed, that there was some reasonable way to have my first Android phone (Optimus V) last more than a few hours with 3G active without needing a charge (which many have suggested is a result of inadequacies in coverage).

Still listening and looking to that effect...and appreciative of all the efforts being made...

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
The reason i was searching in the first place was for the rather unlikely hope, as it's apparently being revealed, that there was some reasonable way to have my first Android phone (Optimus V) last more than a few hours with 3G active without needing a charge (which many have suggested is a result of inadequacies in coverage).

Under Settings -> Battery Use -> Cell Standby, is your time without signal really high? You should try setting the phone on airplane mode then turning it off again, it dramatically helped my battery life. You have to do it every boot though.

brian117

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Just installed the hybrid PRL with no issues. Haven't left the house yet to see if there's any noticeable coverage difference. But I was curious, and I have read through all the pages on both threads on androidcentral, and the XDA forums. But what would installing the new latest Sprint PRL 01115 really do? Would that give you much better coverage? Just confused as to why somebody would make a hybrid PRL that combines the VM/Sprint when you can just use the Sprint 01115 PRL to have the full Sprint coverage. Or am I looking at this all wrong? Any help would be much appreciated.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Just installed the hybrid PRL with no issues. Haven't left the house yet to see if there's any noticeable coverage difference. But I was curious, and I have read through all the pages on both threads on androidcentral, and the XDA forums. But what would installing the new latest Sprint PRL 01115 really do? Would that give you much better coverage? Just confused as to why somebody would make a hybrid PRL that combines the VM/Sprint when you can just use the Sprint 01115 PRL to have the full Sprint coverage. Or am I looking at this all wrong? Any help would be much appreciated.

From what I understood, the VM PRL had entries that the Sprint PRL didn't. That is what the Hybrid PRL contains that the Sprint PRL doesn't have. Does that mean that VM has towers that Sprint doesn't have access to? I don't know. But those extra entries can't hurt. Who knows if they actually help. Unless you have poor coverage in your area, you won't see any increase in speed with either the Sprint or Hybrid. The Sprint and Hybrid PRL will give you way more coverage though than the original VM PRL.

brian117

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
From what I understood, the VM PRL had entries that the Sprint PRL didn't. That is what the Hybrid PRL contains that the Sprint PRL doesn't have. Does that mean that VM has towers that Sprint doesn't have access to? I don't know. But those extra entries can't hurt. Who knows if they actually help. Unless you have poor coverage in your area, you won't see any increase in speed with either the Sprint or Hybrid. The Sprint and Hybrid PRL will give you way more coverage though than the original VM PRL.

Yeah I understand there will be no speed increase. Not really a problem for me, it's just the coverage that I would like more of. Went out on a picnic yesterday at a park maybe 10 miles away from me, and on some parts of the drive there, I had little to no service. And looking at the coverage map on VM/Sprint, it should have had service because the sites claim there is service in those areas. So that gave me a reason to try changing the PRL and see if it changes anything. So would keeping the Hybrid 61677 PRL be best for now? Or would using the Sprint 01115 PRL be better? Thanks for the explanation also on the Hybrid PRL.:)

Ale M. S.

May 23, 2011
Visit site
On a side note: anyone else having trouble actually getting their phone to accept a new PRL (any PRL other than the stock) Whenever I input my MSL the program gives me a pop-up reading "The phone has stopped responding to memory read/write commands". No matter what I do my phone's PRL won't change using QPST v2.7.363 .....

phreak311

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
The demo version for CDMA workshop expired. I can't get the MSL for my friend's Optimus V. What can I do? I absolutely can't use CDMA workshop 3.6. I can't find a cracked version of it either.

firefox111

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Hello! I have a Sprint HTC Hero and the latest PRL is 60679. I think the PRL that is downloaded to the Sprint phone depends on where you live.

Superorb

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Hello! I have a Sprint HTC Hero and the latest PRL is 60679. I think the PRL that is downloaded to the Sprint phone depends on where you live.
Sprint is a Nationwide network, so the PRL file should contain all the towers in their network, not to mention the towers that Sprint has negotiated roaming deals with other carriers.

Superorb

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Pretty cool, I wish they had maps of other city's towers.

I was using the 01115 PRL when I was no longer able to make/receive calls or texts. I had to switch back to the older VM PRL file. I'll try this newest one though.

rhaudiogeek

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the succinct instructions. Worked like a charm.

The most visible and astonishing impact of changing the PRL. The battery life improved drastically and the phone runs cooler compared to earlier when it was always hot.

I guess the new PRL has made locking to the 3G network much easier and that prevents the phone from hunting for cell towers that eats up battery.

Will keep posted on any other noticeable differences.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair