should i root and use custom rom?

kofman13

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
i just started using android.. got a optimus V after using iphone for 3 years.
ive always wanted to get most out of phones. my first phone was a razr and every phone since then including iphone ive hacked to do everything i wanted to do and get more out of it.
so far im really happy with my android phone but sometimes the battery could be better and sometimes i feel it could be a bit snappier.
are these custom roms that much faster? do you really see the difference if the cpu is at 800 mghz per say instead of the stock 600?

kofman13

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
it wont intefere with my carrier? activation etc. this is my first cdma phone i feel like this would mess something up. (im probably wrong)
what would you say are the chances i could permanently mess up my phone?
also i noticed there are 3 big roms on this forum what are the differences? are any of them fully functional? whats your favorite

Takenover83

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Well there is always a chance. Is it already activated? I would do that before installing a custom rom. I know the activate.apk is missing from "Stock Virgin Mobile + Xionia Kernel (BETA 2)". If you use MMS alot, then stick with a 2.2 rom. The 2.3 rom's, incoming MMS is broken and does not look to be fixed anytime soon. Currently, the rom I mentioned above is my favorite. It's stable, fully functioning, and speedy.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Go with Rodimus or Stock + Xionia (my fav).
Use SetCPU, and pump it a little, and it will change the phone completely.

Stock + Xionia runs faster and uses less battery (thanks to the junk being removed), and as mentioned, it is noticeably faster, even without the overclock.

I too was hesitant, now I won't go back.

Desmock

Banned
Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
If you do not follow a tutorial correctly to root, custom recovery, and flash the rom, then there is always a chance you could "brick" (ie: $150 paper weight) your phone. Fortunately, the steps are all very easy and even a monkey could do it if paying attention.

Over clocking does speed up things on certain applications, but if what you want is a non laggy version of say, angry birds, then overclocking doesn't really help at all. I would still recommend it for the bloat ware removal, however a simple root without the other two steps could just as well do this with the right uninstaller from the market.

I use the RodimusROM and it comes with Xiona kernal plus a few other nice tweaks and bloat ware removal (Not the activation apk though, which in my experience isn't really bloat at all). You should still activate before flashing any rom though.

Just my two cents.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

chrissurra

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I would recommend using Rodimus as it has great battery life, the dev updates it often and he has it optimized to use the graphics chip which makes the phone even faster.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad