Some tips I've found for good battery life.

Bocklar

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Last Edit 3/18/2011

Hello everyone. I made this account at first just so I could download all the stuff needed to root my V, but now I wanted to tell everyone what I use to get really good battery life with this phone:

-Rooted with Stock + Xionia Kernel

-Widgetzoid Widget set up to have a Data (3G) On/Off toggle, kept off when not using it. Its set up with the APN toggle and not the APN rename.

- NOT RECOMMENDED ANYMORE, NO BENEFIT -Advanced Task Manager set to AutoKill everything whenever screen turns off

-Set CPU with profile for Screen Off that drops speed down to lowest available (~120mhz)

- 50% Signal Fix installed http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=938677
(if you dont want to install this fix for fear of messing up your cell radio settings you can just turn on airplane mode for ~15 secs every time you turn on your phone, achieves same result)

- Screen Brightness at 50%

-Auto Killer memory Optimizer installed and set on extreme - (I dont think this one is that bad since it only kills stuff if you get really low on memory)

The two greatest helps on battery life I believe are keeping 3G off with the toggle and the 50% fix.

I may be using too many programs ( like 2 auto killers ) but I can have my phone on all day, play around with it for an hour or two, make a couple of calls, and at the end of the day its in the 75-80% range, which I think is great. Overnight if not charged it only loses 1% about every 2 hours.

I know there are other threads on this but its more of people complaining and then you have to dig through pages to find the apps and techniques to actually help your battery life.

If anyone has any other recommendations, you're welcome to post them and I'll update this post so people don't have to dig through it to find them!

Cheers,

Bocklar

Last edited:

Helgaiden

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
the signal fix didnt do anything. Installed, rebooted, still have the signal bug. I wonder if its because its on the SD card instead of phone memory.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

If you use this, and you lose your data connection, it will NOT auto-reconnect.
You will have to toggle each time you lose the data signal.
Once installed, the only way to correct it, is a wipe.

You are better off toggling to airplane mode for 10 seconds after boot has finished then turn off airplane mode manually than using this app. It's a nice idea, and a great app, it just doesn't work properly with out phone.

No app that changes data settings work properly with the OV.

confuzion

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Hmm.. That's not good... Guess it's too late for me.. Oh well. My 50% dropped down to 2%. Hopefully it doesn't disconnect too often.

Hugh Johnson

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I've done most of the things you've mentioned, Bocklar. No way my phone lasts that long but I'm using Zefie's CM7 too.

You are better off toggling to airplane mode for 10 seconds after boot has finished then turn off airplane mode manually than using this app. It's a nice idea, and a great app, it just doesn't work properly with out phone.
How come you have to wipe, even after uninstalling?

Last edited:

Mirth

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
-Widgetzoid Widget set up to have a Data (3G) On/Off toggle, kept off when not using it.

I've heard that it's a battery killer when the phone is switching between 3G and non-3G. Does this widget option turn off just the 3G or the data altogether? Cause I'd like to just turn off 3G when I want, but still have data so that I can receive G-mail notifications and stuff.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I've done most of the things you've mentioned, Bocklar. No way my phone lasts that long but I'm using Zefie's CM7 too.

How come you have to wipe, even after uninstalling?

Someone has made an app that does that airplane mode trick you mentioned (but for the first 12 seconds) too. I've seen it on XDA and I believe I have it on my phone but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be in my Android apps folder on my desktop so I can't give you its name.
It's not toggling Aircraft mode properly. It's possibly a bug in the menu structure, but no app seems to work properly for it.

Uninstalling does not reverse the changed setting.

Hugh Johnson

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
It's not toggling Aircraft mode properly. It's possibly a bug in the menu structure, but no app seems to work properly for it.

Do you know if there's a way to manually change the option back? Seems like it would be a lot easier then reinstalling all your apps! ;)

Bocklar

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I havent had a problem with the 50% fix losing my data connection, and if my data is ever off and i need it, i have the widgetsoid widget on the desktop to turn it on... i was using juice defender and had problems of losing 3g with that though...

also i dont use any task killers anymore after reading up on them... ill modify the first post to reflect that

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

I installed this the other day. Decided I wasnt noticing any change and my problem was just poor signal at home. Uninstalled it and havent noticed any problems.

Is it possible its a bug with the stock rom? Im on the official Zefie not the v port and frankly the only issues I have now is the stupid mms and BT not working as a phone headset.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

It worked and continues to work for me. Maybe you would like to explain more as to how it doesn't work for you and what settings it has messed up. What rom are you using? I have tested this fix on stock, Romdimus, and Zefie's CM7. And by the very nature of how aps work, you never need to wipe to reverse a problem.

One of the reasons you might not think it works is that you look at your battery usage through settings->about and see that the Time Without Signal is some really big number (but not 50%). Try this, plug your phone into the charger and reboot it that way. Once the 50trick app has finished doing it's thing, unplug from the charger. Then check settings->about->battery usage->standby time. Magic! I don't think rebooting while charging adds anything to the fix. I think it just hides the few seconds that the phone has the bug before airplane mode is toggled from the statistics of your battery.

Also note that the 50% bug will not drain your battery until you start using 3G. If you have your phone on wifi, the battery drain will be normal.

Helgaiden

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site

Um...that fix isnt for the random data disconnects. Its for the 50% without signal bug that drains battery even when the phone is on standby. It has nothing to do with data toggling other than the fact it uses airplane mode to fix an issue unrelated to random data disconnects.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Do you know if there's a way to manually change the option back? Seems like it would be a lot easier then reinstalling all your apps! ;)
Nope, once changed I could never find a way back.
As far as I know every app that messes with this setting messes it up.

I installed this the other day. Decided I wasnt noticing any change and my problem was just poor signal at home. Uninstalled it and havent noticed any problems.

Is it possible its a bug with the stock rom? Im on the official Zefie not the v port and frankly the only issues I have now is the stupid mms and BT not working as a phone headset.
It's supposedly a bug with the hidden menus being labeled wrong or something.
What happens, is that once you lose data, it will not reconnect. Next time you go to use data, it will show it working, but you receive nothing.

It worked and continues to work for me. Maybe you would like to explain more as to how it doesn't work for you and what settings it has messed up. What rom are you using? I have tested this fix on stock, Romdimus, and Zefie's CM7. And by the very nature of how aps work, you never need to wipe to reverse a problem.

{cut}

Also note that the 50% bug will not drain your battery until you start using 3G. If you have your phone on wifi, the battery drain will be normal.
I understand the 50% bug.
See what I wrote above.

Um...that fix isnt for the random data disconnects. Its for the 50% without signal bug that drains battery even when the phone is on standby. It has nothing to do with data toggling other than the fact it uses airplane mode to fix an issue unrelated to random data disconnects.
No, it doesn't fix the random disconnects.
See above.

Before I installed it, no problems. Installed the app, I no longer reconnect after a data loss. Wipe, re-install everything, problem is gone.

I can repeat this over and over with Stock, Stock with Xionia and Rodimus. I am pretty sure I saw it on the 2.3 roms as well. Completely repeatable. The "Network app, *#*#numbers#*#* trick anything accessing the hidden 3g menu causes the same problem.

Reactions: Hugh Johnson

denshigomi

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
The two greatest helps on battery life I believe are keeping 3G off with the toggle and the 50% fix.

I'm fairly certain that the 50% time spent without a signal is a cosmetic bug that doesn't affect battery life.

Turning off 3G, underclocking, and running the screen at half brightness will measurably improve your battery life.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol