Hello,

Am new to this forum (and to Android), but very glad to have a place to ask for help. I just purchased a few days ago a new LG Optimus V for Virgin Mobile (obviously). Seems like a great phone for my needs. However, I have run into one glitch that is driving me nuts. I'm hoping someone here can provide a solution. I need to have a Wi-Fi connection syncing my Optimus V to my Mac (iBook G4 ... I know...ancient!) via my Apple Airport wireless router in order to install/sync SplashID software. When I turn on Wi-Fi on the phone it scans and finds this network, as well as those of some neighbors. My network is secure, and when I did the setup for the network on the phone I provided the password. However, when I attempt to initiate the network connection it shows a brief message, first, of "Connecting," and then of seeking "Obtaining IP address from ..." but it never is able to do so. When I switch to a neighbor's unsecured Wi-Fi network (with their permission), it connects with no problem. But that does me no good as my laptop is not part of that network so the syncing for SplashID can't occur.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what the problem might be??? This has been very frustrating. Thanks for any assistance you can offer.
    03-22-2011 06:18 PM
    did you try and reset the router,disable security,firewall?
    03-22-2011 06:40 PM
    Can you setup a VAP with the airport router?

If so do that with a different type of security protocol like wep or wap.
    I cant connect to my wifi with my daughters psp because the encryption is not supported by the psp. That might be the issue here your using a older encryption that is not supported.
    03-22-2011 06:50 PM
    Why use splash id? I am using keepassdroid along with the desktop app and it works great.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk
    03-22-2011 08:33 PM
    Have re-set router but not disabled security, no firewall to deal with. Will resume all the suggestions in the a.m. Thanks!
    03-22-2011 10:32 PM
    Zires: "Why use splash id? I am using keepassdroid along with the desktop app and it works great."

Me: Well, because I have used it for many years previously on my Palm devices and ALL my stuff is in there...want to import the data into the new Android version of the program. But since there is no USB capability built into the program it all depends on being able to sync wirelessly with my network...which is the sticking point at this point.
    03-23-2011 07:58 AM
    definitely a router setting. 1st check your mac settings in the router, if it's set to only accept certain mac adresses, then you need to either manually enter the mac address of your phone, or switch it to allow any. Next thing, as mentioned above, is try changing the security. I had the same thing happen when on WEP, but switched to WPA2 and connected fine. Not sure why it didn't work under WEP, but I just left it for now.
    03-23-2011 09:32 AM
    Skully et al,

"definitely a router setting ... Next thing, as mentioned above, is try changing the security. I had the same thing happen when on WEP, but switched to WPA2 and connected fine. Not sure why it didn't work under WEP, but I just left it for now."

Thanks for all the input. I wanted to report back that I resolved the issue. Had to use an unsecure profile set up (via Airport Utility) on my Wi-Fi network and then stop all firewall activity through the Mac system preferences (didn't think I had one set up, as I mentioned in an earlier reply, but turns out I did...a-duh!). This allowed the phone to connect to the network and I could also then do the sync with SplashID and restore my old files to the Android version. Disabling the firewall was the key; the unsecured network alone allowed the connection, but still would not sync. So, I guess this will be my temporary work-around whenever I wish to sync data between the SplashID desktop and my Optimus V. Well worth it. Love SplashID.

Thanks again, everyone, for your replies. It's great to have a place for a newbie to come and get some hand-holding!
    03-24-2011 11:46 AM