Femtocell for VM?

sdxben

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if a Femtocell for VM exists? If not, can I buy a Sprint one and have that work with the Optimus V. Maybe this would fix the 3G connectivity issue aside from changing the PRL. Also, would doing this would enhance the speed and capabilities of Hotspot and Wifi tethering?

sdxben

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
slightly off topic......
whats this data2ext and prl swap thing about?? curious
Data2ext- you essentially force your data to be stored on the external sd card, thus creating more available internal memory.
PRL Swap- Changes the cell phone towers your phone accesses. Default PRL for our VM phones has access to some Sprint towers, but not 100% of them. By swapping your PRL you allow your phone to access more towers which will give you better coverage.

sha0ggy

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
wake up

why dont you guys get on topic or start a new thread don't flood this one with your inablility to SEARCH for information from google or let's say maybe the site your on instead of going compeltely off topic and asking already answered questions.. Just saying because I'm really interested as well if there is a Femtocell available for virgin mobile and we will never know if there is one available if the whole thread is full of bull**** that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Be kind rewind and delete that **** off this thread and post your own if you can't use a search box

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Shaggy if you read the wiki article it doesnt mention a femtocell for virgin.
And from what Ive read the ones for sprint are 25/75 to work. Kinda hit and miss not sure if the cost would be worth the risk of it not working.

sha0ggy

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
correct

Yes I read somewhere in my travels that a sprint femtocell blocks virgin mobile access even nextdoor to the unit's household, creating a virtual dead zone. At like $250 - 350 a cell repeater's cost doesn't justify my problem so I'll stick to setting my phone next to the windows and using bluetooth. Thank you for the reply

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Just to clarify, I kinda sounded like a dick. Wasnt my intentions.
For some reason I thought there was a wiki article posted.
But reading the thread again I must have googled femtocell.

I did read a article that said somebody had it kinda working, bascially they installed a custom rom that identified the phone as a sprint phone. I dunno how that works as it should identify as virgin via the meid and such. /shrug

Still not really cost effective for a normal user.Maybe if you loved in the boonies and was the only way to get cell service.

scootincivic

Feb 16, 2011
civicscootin.3utilities.com
Im interested in this topic myself..
I have been doing a lot of research toward Femtocell's and have yet to see any listings for anything for Virgin Mobile..
Repeaters are just not worth it in the end.. However having a Broadband connection running 24/7 doesnt help much for those that have a data limit or there net plan..

Plus repeaters are not legal to operate anyways (you can by them locally but they are in fact e-legal to operate - no biggy to me though)..

There must be some other alternatives for those that have very spotty (if none) signal within there home..

Any idea's?..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol