Optimizing Battery Drain on the Optimus V

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Intro:
I took my Optimus V and spliced in my multimeter between the battery and the phone. All it took was double sided tape and tinfoil. With the battery installed in the phone, the foil directs the positive terminal of the battery out of the phone, through a multimeter, and back into the phone through a second piece of foil that is separated from the first with double sided tape.

This enabled me to monitor the actual battery draw. I installed various roms and monitored the battery usage under certain conditions. I focused on the lower end of battery usage (airplane mode, stand by, under-clocking) because that is the focus of most smartphone users, getting the most battery life. I had a resolution of 1mA. So keep that in mind when looking at the results. A value of 2mA means the actual value might be 50% more or less.

Setup:
Each rom was a fresh flash. The only apps installed were google's. Airplane mode was toggled in order to remove the effects of the 50% Time Without Signal issue. The Rodimus rom had setCPU added to control CPU speeds. Besides changing the relevant settings, nothing in the system was touched. A steady 3G and CDMA signal was available during testing. A Wifi signal with WPA2 protection was used in the Wifi tests. A google account was also added to all the roms and background information was left enabled. Syncing was turned off. All of the values measured fluctuated somewhat during testing. Approximations had to be made as to the average stable values.

Roms Tested:
  1. Stock
  2. Rodimus 20/03/2011
  3. Zefie's CM7 01/03/2011
  4. aospCMod CM7 24/03/2011

Testing Conditions:
  1. Powering on
  2. Airplane Mode - Standby - Underclocked to 122MHz
  3. Airplane Mode - Screen Brightness 0%/100%/50% *
  4. Wifi - Standby - 122MHz
  5. 3G - Standby - 122MHz
  6. No Data - Standby - 122MHz
  7. Wifi - Standby - 600MHz
  8. 3G - Standby - 600MHz
  9. Airplane Mode - Standby - 600MHz
  10. Wifi - 600MHz**
  11. 3G - 600MHz**
  12. Airplane Mode - 600MHz**
*CPU set to 600MHz
**Unless noted otherwise screen brightness was set to 25% and the phone was left on its homescreen.
***Because of a lack of CPU control, the stock rom could only be tested at 600MHz

Results:

2quhdo4.jpg

11ucoki.jpg

50% Results:
I also tested the 50% Time Without Signal issue using Rodimus. Airplane mode was not toggled after a fresh install. 50% issue was confirmed. Wifi was then setup and then put into standby mode for the measurement. Then Wifi was disabled and 3G automatically connected. The 50% issue was again confirmed to be in effect. The phone was then put in standby mode for the 3G measurement. Data was then disabled and put back into standby for the last measurement.

1. Wifi: 5mA
  2. 3G: 300-2mA****
  3. No Data: 2mA
****When 3G was enabled and the phone put into standby, the current draw would fluctuate from 2mA to 300mA every few seconds. This was not seen in tests where airplane mode was toggled on and off after boot.

Conclusions:
At first glance there does not see to be much difference between the roms. Remember though that all of the 2mA values have an error of 50%. So there could be a 3 fold difference between some of those values. If I had a more sensitive multimeter, we could get better results.

One notable difference is between the roms when using Wifi on standby. The stock rom and Rodimus both draw significantly less power than the CM7 roms. This seems to be an unresolved bug with CM7. Also worth noting is that 3G draws significantly less power than Wifi regardless of Rom. Keep in mind that no data is being transferred while the tests are occurring besides whatever the background data uses.

It looks as though the 50% Time Without Signal issues does effect battery life when on 3G. The phone appears to be doing some activity every few seconds. Take note that I only tested it on Rodimus.

Using a current draw of 3mA, the 1500mAh battery could last as long as 500 hours. Of course, even in standby and underclocking, the current draw will randomly jump to 100mA every now and then on all of the roms. A more practical estimate at the battery life is 100 hours. That gives an overall average power draw of 15mA.

I was hoping underclocking would show a significant decrease in power use, but my resolution was not good enough to pick up a difference. I'm sure an advantage still exists, but I can't prove it with the equipment I have. The effects seem to be limited to less than 1mA. This is worthless when using the phone, but when in standby, the savings could be significant.

Hopefully these values will help you out as well as the developers. Let me know your thoughts. Note that all of these values are current draw directly from the battery. Another user on Howard forums tested the draw from the USB port which occurs at 5V and doesn't account for the loss due to stepping down the voltage.

Winners:
  1. Leaving 3G on during standby - No clear winner among the roms because of testing equipment limitations but by far better than leaving your phone on Wifi
  2. Airplane mode during standby - No clear winner again
  3. Leaving Wifi on during standby - Rodimus
  4. Not in standby but idle - Stock rom

Update: I made a guide to create firewall profiles to block apps from using your 3G/Wifi when the screen is off. This should eliminate the need to turn off your 3G when the screen is off. Read more here: http://forum.androidcentral.com/opt...ock-apps-using-3g-wifi-tasker.html#post788344

Last edited:

Bigtuna00

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Very cool.

Is the current theory still that the 50% time without signal issue is an Android bug? Wasn't is supposed to be fixed in Gingerbread?

ashton4life

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
First of all GREAT work and thank you!!!

You said:

"It looks as the the 50% Time Without Signal issues does effect battery life when on 3G. The phone appears to be doing some activity every few seconds."

I noticed the aospCMod CM7 24/03/2011 Rom doesnt show "Time Without Signal" when I look at the battery menu. If its there somewhere I havent seen it. So you still saw this problem evident on this Gingerbread Rom? Should we still toggle the "Flight mode" like we did in 2.2?

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Very cool.

Is the current theory still that the 50% time without signal issue is an Android bug? Wasn't is supposed to be fixed in Gingerbread?

I didn't check for it during most of the testing. I just toggled airplane mode when the rom first booted. On Rodimus, it was definitely there when I did the testing for 50%. I didn't check the other roms. I don't know much about what causes it or if it is fixed in Gingerbread.

aeroseek

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Nice work!
I'm very surprised that 3g uses less power than wifi. Everything I've ever read in the forums seems to suggest otherwise. I'm wondering if that is because you have an excellent 3g signal at your testing location. Would be interesting to see a comparison between the two while downloading a file.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Nice work!
I'm very surprised that 3g uses less power than wifi. Everything I've ever read in the forums seems to suggest otherwise. I'm wondering if that is because you have an excellent 3g signal at your testing location. Would be interesting to see a comparison between the two while downloading a file.

The reason I didn't want to test downloading is that instantaneous current draw doesn't get you the whole picture. Your bandwidth is a large component to how much battery you use. Example:

3G: 100kb/s ; 50mA
Wifi: 1000kb/s ; 100mA

Download a 1000kb file.
3G: 10 seconds ; 500mA*s
Wifi: 1 second ; 100mA*s

To download the same 1000kb file, the 3G connection will take 10 times as long in this example. So even though the current draw is half (in this fake example) the 3G will actually use up five times as much battery life.

With bandwidth speeds wildly varying for 3G and Wifi, I have no way of getting a meaningful measurement during a download.

But as far as leaving the phone in standby with nothing being transferred, 3G is the apparently the champ.

Reactions: ashton4life

jmel

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Nice work!

Agreed.

Thanks to the OP for this test, it is very useful.

I noticed great battery life with rodimus, and I use sipdroid over wifi but not over 3g, so I leave wifi on with Y5 battery saver all the time.

I get great battery life with this combo. I surf, use push mail, leave gps on, watch videos, etc throughout the day, and can get 2 full days of battery life.

jmel

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
But as far as leaving the phone in standby with nothing being transferred, 3G is the apparently the champ.

But since no one in their right mind would get this phone with this plan from this provider and not use data, I'll consider your conclusion to prove why it is best to always use wifi instead of 3g when it is available.

I don't know anyone that leaves their data connection idle 24/7. Now, the next question is obviously where that 'sweet spot' is for data... how much downloading does one do in a day to make wifi worth it over 3g...

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
It's not about not using the data. It is about how long you can leave the phone on standby and still have battery life left over to use data. Most of the day, your phone is left waiting for emails/ims/mms, minimal amounts of data are transferred. When you do start using your phone heavily, the battery will last 5-10 hours at most no matter the type of connection you use. But if you want to use your phone on the third day of a trip where you forgot your charger, the idle drainage will determine whether you get a good 1-2 hours or if your phone went dead the day before.

jmel

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
It's not about not using the data. It is about how long you can leave the phone on standby and still have battery life left over to use data. Most of the day, your phone is left waiting for emails/ims/mms, minimal amounts of data are transferred. When you do start using your phone heavily, the battery will last 5-10 hours at most no matter the type of connection you use. But if you want to use your phone on the third day of a trip where you forgot your charger, the idle drainage will determine whether you get a good 1-2 hours or if your phone went dead the day before.

Sure, I get that. I am thinking however of the people that have all these widgets that constantly update, and all of their web surfing, and tons of incoming and outoing emails etc.

There is some number (x) out there that is a tipping point where 3g is going to end up eating up more battery than simply using wifi.

Again, that being said, I ride the fence and use that Y5 battery saver app, and consistently have better battery than without it.

ashton4life

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

Exactly, this is why for me Green Power2 worked great to shut off 3g when the phone was in sleep mode/screen lock. I always end up using the phone with in 1 hour so my email push happens then. If I decide to listen to music I would disable it. The problem now is there is no app I can find that does this with Gingerbread 2.3 and that works. Shutting off 3G when not needed is the best battery saver you can have. For now I have to manually shut it off with the power toggler widget, but it sucks because I tend to forget to turn it on or off sometimes. There is no need for multiple apps to keep your battery life up, its the 3G that kills it. I think the Optimus V battery is not very good to begin with also. Any ideas would be helpful.

It's pretty obvious that WiFi pulls allot of battery life. Keep your phone on WiFi for 10 mins and feel the tempurature of the phone. But with unlimited 3G WiFi should just be on demand depending on where you are, it would be insane to leave it on all the time or in an autostart state.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1