Need a Screen Lock auto 3G shut off App for Gingerbread 2.3

ashton4life

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
With 2.2 I used Green Power2 and it worked good but it doesnt with aospCMod AOSP 2.3.3 / CM7 (Gingerbread). I have tested about 4 apps and none work. If anyone has already found one that really does work please let me know because its the only thing that gives me 30-40 more battery life. Thank you!!

I dont need nothing fancy just an app that shuts the 3G off in screen lock mode and on when it it is unlocked.

Thanks again!

ashton4life

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Try Tasker. Available in the market.

I tryed that app and it was giving me brain seizures! I appreciate it but I could not figure out how to make it do it. If you can explain how to us it for what I need I would appreciate it. I was looking for more of a ready to go app.

I just need data 3G to shut off when it goes into sleep mode/Screen lock. It saves alot of power.

aeroseek

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I tryed that app and it was giving me brain seizures! I appreciate it but I could not figure out how to make it do it. If you can explain how to us it for what I need I would appreciate it. I was looking for more of a ready to go app.

I just need data 3G to shut off when it goes into sleep mode/Screen lock. It saves alot of power.

Yeah Tasker is for people that REALLY enjoy messing up their phone ;) But when used right it can perform magic :)

This is off the top of my head.

In Tasker:

TO TURN OFF 3G with screen off:
1) Create a new profile. Name: Display Off
2) In the popup, select EVENT, then DISPLAY, DISPLAY OFF, Done
3) In Task Selection popup, NEW TASK. Leave the name blank.
4) In Task Edit popup, click on the plus (+), then NET, Mobile Data. It should be set to OFF.
5) Click DONE

You now should have a Profile by the name of "Display Off"

TO TURN ON 3G when you unlock the screen:
1) Create a new profile. Name: Display On
2) In the popup, select EVENT, then DISPLAY, DISPLAY UNLOCKED, Done
4) In Task Edit popup, click on the plus (+), then NET, Mobile Data. It should be set to ON.
5) Click DONE

This should get you started :)

Reactions: ashton4life

shawayne21

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Another thing you can do which saves a lot of battery, is switching to 2G instead of removing 3G .. then when you really need 3G put it back on. Dial *#*#4636*#*

Go to phone information, and scroll down and choose CDMA ONLY as your preferred network type.

It honestly saved me more battery than shutting off the internet and turning it back on when i had the phone screen back on while I used Juice Defender on 2.2.

Reactions: ashton4life

ashton4life

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah Tasker is for people that REALLY enjoy messing up their phone ;) But when used right it can perform magic :)

This is off the top of my head.

In Tasker:

TO TURN OFF 3G with screen off:
1) Create a new profile. Name: Display Off
2) In the popup, select EVENT, then DISPLAY, DISPLAY OFF, Done
4) In Task Edit popup, click on the plus (+), then NET, Mobile Data. It should be set to OFF.
5) Click DONE

You now should have a Profile by the name of "Display Off"

TO TURN ON 3G when you unlock the screen:
1) Create a new profile. Name: Display On
2) In the popup, select EVENT, then DISPLAY, DISPLAY UNLOCKED, Done
4) In Task Edit popup, click on the plus (+), then NET, Mobile Data. It should be set to ON.
5) Click DONE

This should get you started :)

WOW you are the best! It works like a charm! I'm so mad at you!!! You just gave me a new app to tinker with now that I kinda get how to use it! lol :)Thx my friend!

ashton4life

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Another thing you can do which saves a lot of battery, is switching to 2G instead of removing 3G .. then when you really need 3G put it back on. Dial *#*#4636*#*

Go to phone information, and scroll down and choose CDMA ONLY as your preferred network type.

It honestly saved me more battery than shutting off the internet and turning it back on when i had the phone screen back on while I used Juice Defender on 2.2.

I will definitely give that a shot! Now that I understand Tasker better!
Thanks

shawayne21

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I will definitely give that a shot! Now that I understand Tasker better!
Thanks

No problem .. Another thing that turning your 3G off with the screen, is that if youre waiting for a webpage to load, or if youre downloading something, the webpage/ download stops! another thing why just switching to 2G is much better. And think about it .. turning the mobile network on and off several times is going to kill your batery far more than just leaving it at 3G and turning mobile network off when you put your phone on standby.

aeroseek

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
WOW you are the best! It works like a charm! I'm so mad at you!!! You just gave me a new app to tinker with now that I kinda get how to use it! lol Thx my friend!

You're very welcome. I felt the same way about the person that showed ME the app! ;-)

justinaz#AC

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I use this and it works well for me on stock and it says it supports 2.3.3

Green Power FREE battery saver :)

https://market.android.com/details?id=org.gpo.greenpower

I find that setting the Data Traffic Threshold to the lowest setting for me. And i have no issues with 3g not coming back up like i did with Juice Defender.

Recent changes:
3.7:
- Add option "keep data on phone call" & bugfix at phone call end
- Add option to disable wifi if couldnt connect after x seconds
- Add option to disable wifi if low signal
- Bugfix: Don't restart wifi if stopping Green Power
- Bugfix: Prevent autostart at night when service was stopped
- Bugfix: Allows to run on Android 2.3.3

ashton4life

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I use this and it works well for me on stock and it says it supports 2.3.3

Green Power FREE battery saver :)

https://market.android.com/details?id=org.gpo.greenpower

I find that setting the Data Traffic Threshold to the lowest setting for me. And i have no issues with 3g not coming back up like i did with Juice Defender.

I tried it and it didnt work. Keep in mind I left the default settings on 2.2 and it worked fine but not on 2.3. Do you have it on 2.3?
Tasker worked perfect for me using the great instructions from an earlier post, but thx anyways.

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I've installed Tasker thanks to the advice on this thread.

I played around with it and now have it set to have data off all the time unless I turn it on. However, it turns it on for 1 minute every 20 minutes to allow my email and such to sync so that my phone is just as functional as it would be otherwise.
I also have it setup to turn on data when I open up any program that requires a data connection.

Not bad I say, no sense in having 3g always on sucking away your battery if you can have it off for most of the time and come on periodically to update your required apps.

ashton4life

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I've installed Tasker thanks to the advice on this thread.

I played around with it and now have it set to have data off all the time unless I turn it on. However, it turns it on for 1 minute every 20 minutes to allow my email and such to sync so that my phone is just as functional as it would be otherwise.
I also have it setup to turn on data when I open up any program that requires a data connection.

Not bad I say, no sense in having 3g always on sucking away your battery if you can have it off for most of the time and come on periodically to update your required apps.

Nice!:)

Superorb

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to have Tasker always have 3g and wireless off and then start wifi (if close to known network) or 3g when an app (like browser) is opened? I just hate having a bunch of apps open in the background, plus I don't want it to continually try to get wifi or 3g signal. Where I live I usually have only 1 bar of signal, sometimes no signal at all.

aeroseek

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to have Tasker always have 3g and wireless off and then start wifi (if close to known network) or 3g when an app (like browser) is opened? I just hate having a bunch of apps open in the background, plus I don't want it to continually try to get wifi or 3g signal. Where I live I usually have only 1 bar of signal, sometimes no signal at all.

Yup, Tasker can definitely do this. HERE are some example profiles which should get you started.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma