Optimus V on Craigslist?

TibsterNumber13

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I recently found a post of 3 Optimus V's. The buyer claims they got them for their family, but ended up getting Verizon. The boxes have been opened, but phones still new.

I'm thinking about buying one of them for $110. What are my chances of something going wrong with this? I asked for the activation sticker on the back, and they replied
"and no there was never a activation sticker?
it says "initial programing needed" when the phone is first turned on"

Any opinions on this..? (Don't want to spend an extra $90 + tax for a new one...)

Bigtuna00

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I asked for the activation sticker on the back, and they replied
"and no there was never a activation sticker?
it says "initial programing needed" when the phone is first turned on"

It's bogus, that's not normal. Certainly the sticker could be removed but the phone shouldn't say "initial programing needed" when turned on. A new V (I've purchased and activated two of them) will boot right into the Android home screen and work perfectly fine on Wifi even without activation. These are probably bricked/rooted phones.

You should report the listing.

TibsterNumber13

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
It's bogus, that's not normal. Certainly the sticker could be removed but the phone shouldn't say "initial programing needed" when turned on. A new V (I've purchased and activated two of them) will boot right into the Android home screen and work perfectly fine on Wifi even without activation. These are probably bricked/rooted phones.

You should report the listing.
Alright, that's what I was thinking.... Seemed wrong to me

Think about what day today is....

Hahahahaha I emailed about this 3 days ago though :p

TibsterNumber13

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
the back of my V box doesnt have any activation stuff.

the EMEI is under the battery.

i would say, go see the phone in person, call virgin mobile, and try activating the phone using the EMEI under the battery OR just calling customer service and verifying a good EMEI.

i wouldnt tell them your buying a used phone becuase they might not help you so readily. they always want you to buy from a store.

but they really should be able to either activate it if you have an account already or at least verify that the number is good

(I meant the back of the phone)

Now I got a response to if there's a serial number to it.
"yeah but im not giving that out untill money is paid fr the phone"
How do you NOT give it out with the phone?

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like a scam.
Anybody selling a phone will give the meid out so you can verify it.

Tell the guy either you get the meid so you can verify it or he can sell them to somebody else.
Ask to meet him show him the cash and tell him look I have to call VM first and verify the meid's.
Tell VM you are buying a few phones and want to make sure they are legit and not reported stolen. They will check the meid, it doesnt matter f they are used or not. As long as you want service from them they will verify the meid.

TibsterNumber13

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like a scam.
Anybody selling a phone will give the meid out so you can verify it.

Tell the guy either you get the meid so you can verify it or he can sell them to somebody else.
Ask to meet him show him the cash and tell him look I have to call VM first and verify the meid's.
Tell VM you are buying a few phones and want to make sure they are legit and not reported stolen. They will check the meid, it doesnt matter f they are used or not. As long as you want service from them they will verify the meid.

Ok, thank you. I emailed them... And if they give me another bogus answer, I'll probably give up on this.

TibsterNumber13

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
to be fair i dont believe anyone should hand over the unique ID of the phone over email or phone or something. for all he knows you could take the number, report it stolen or who knows what, and have it blacklisted, and now he cant sell it to anyone. ive seen crazier things.

you should DEFINATELY go at least SEE the phone in person and call virgin mobile support while holding the phone in your hands. and if all goes well buy it outright on the spot.

no fuss

I'll see if a meeting is possible to set up... Whenever possible. I hope to see the phone is usable...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae