Roms lg optimus v

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
It does not need to be in the root of your card, at least not with all recoveries. I keep all mine in /recovery/roms/{rom name}/.
Putting it in root just makes it easier to get to it, especially when you are flashing via ADB where you have to type in the location.

Doing it all from the phone is completely doable, but...
You still need a computer to flash the recovery the first time (or at least root, as far as I know), after that you can flash recoveries from inside the phone (quite easily actually).

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
There are methods to root without a PC, but I don't know if anyone has had success with such methods on the Optimus V.

You don't need a file manager, you can use the terminal (must be rooted just as with any other method). Open up the terminal and you will see a "$" cursor. Type in "su" and hit enter, and if you are rooted, you will now see a "#" cursor showing that you now have Super User permissions. From there, you can use basic linux/adb shell commands (ls = list files, cd = change directory, cp = copy file, rm = remove file, mv = move file, etc) to move files around, change their permissions, and reboot into recovery.

sellers86

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
It does not need to be in the root of your card, at least not with all recoveries. I keep all mine in /recovery/roms/{rom name}/.
Putting it in root just makes it easier to get to it, especially when you are flashing via ADB where you have to type in the location.

Doing it all from the phone is completely doable, but...
You still need a computer to flash the recovery the first time (or at least root, as far as I know), after that you can flash recoveries from inside the phone (quite easily actually).

You can do a permanent root with gingerbreak 1.2.0 and then flash the recovery via terminal emulator. its a lot easier

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
You can do a permanent root with gingerbreak 1.2.0 and then flash the recovery via terminal emulator. its a lot easier
You need to install the proper flash_image to /system/bin with an emulator before you can flash the recovery(Gingerbreak doesn't)
It also doesn't install Busybox
And It's suggested to update the Super User app from the market
Yes,you can download,install Gingerbreak,Root,install busybox,update SuperUser, download and flash both the flash_image and recovery.img,download a ROM and gapps,and install from recovery. ALL WITHOUT THE USE OF A COMPUTER

Last edited:

sharpe351

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I always download ROMs directly to my phone. Saves the chance of a dirty load from pc.

Sent from my LG OP V using Tapatalk

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I always download ROMs directly to my phone. Saves the chance of a dirty load from pc.

if you think about it. you want the faster CPU of the PC to handle organizing the packets of the file transfer and to organize it as a complete file once its downloaded.

the phone with a slower cpu and flash memory has more chance of introducing errors to the finished file.

I only mention this becuase for the most part, downloads on my PC have worked fine.

and roms and other large files downloaded through the phone seem to have a lot more errors and end up corrupt more often. maybes its my phone? but its still something ive noticed and feel should be pointed out.

edit* on multiple sd cards as well, not just one bad one. I have movie files and mp3s constantly end up with errors that make them play strangely or not at all sometimes

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
if you think about it. you want the faster CPU of the PC to handle organizing the packets of the file transfer and to organize it as a complete file once its downloaded.

the phone with a slower cpu and flash memory has more chance of introducing errors to the finished file.

I only mention this becuase for the most part, downloads on my PC have worked fine.

and roms and other large files downloaded through the phone seem to have a lot more errors and end up corrupt more often. maybes its my phone? but its still something ive noticed and feel should be pointed out.

edit* on multiple sd cards as well, not just one bad one. I have movie files and mp3s constantly end up with errors that make them play strangely or not at all sometimes

yeah I think downloading straight to Phone has a higher chance of corrupted downloads than PC, so I would only do that as a last resort. But now that most binary ROM distributions have MD5 checksums included, I would just do a "md5 <filename>" after the download to make sure it matches the original before flashing.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Going straight to phone has a higher chance of issues.
Error correction is not one of USB's strong points so you are better off transferring it to something stable, then sticking it in the phone to install it.

If you want to be sure, copy to the SDcard then run an MD5 again. It can get corrupted every time you move it and I have had it happen.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I realty appreciate what y'all are saying about using the PC to transfer files to the phone because the speed of the PC should keep the files from being corrupted.
There are those that don't have a PC though,and have a need to customize there phone just as much as those that do.
Viable alternatives need to be thought out to allow those without the same as those that do.

Last edited:

sharpe351

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I have never had an issue downloading directly to my phone. The experts are saying otherwise, but I am speaking from my personal experience. I flashed several phones the same way and no issues.