Gmail and Messaging questions

Zi6m

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Optimus V using Google voice as only number.

Gmail:
I noticed the little check box next to emails (for delete selection etc) has disappeared. Anyone else?

Android Messaging.
My phone won't save outgoing and some incoming messages.
Once they send, they disappear. Is there a Sent folder or similar?

thx Z.
Android newbie.
Apps installed so far:
Google Voice
Youtube
Android Market
Speedtest.net
Considering rooting to remove bloatware, and ability to save apps to card, but somewhat intimidated

Zi6m

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
definately not normal. are you running a custom ROM? id wipe all the caches, then everything else and re flash it.

if not, try going to android market and installing the updated gmail client, and GOSMS PRO becuase its much better than the stock text messaging app.

Thx for reply. RE: Gmail issue
Everything is stock, no custom ROM. (I don't even know what that is really)
I used to have the little check boxes but no more.
So, how do I reflash the GV app? I have already uninstalled and reinstalled it twice, does reflashing mean reinstalling?

On the texting issue....there is something very wrong.
I sent a text and it truncated all the words by putting spaces in between each letter. After I sent it, it vanished instantly from my phone, so I only know it did that, because it came back when the recipient replied.

Zi6m

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully I have resolved it.
Make a save menu available by a long press in a clear place on the homescreen - (who knew!)
That will display a menu to create shortcuts, or place widgets on the homescreen.
Select the (Google) VOICE widget, which will appear on the homescreen.
Select it, go to MENU - LABELS which will then display all the Google Voice Folders. Choose which ones you want to display.
By selecting TEXT I was able to turn on the capability for my outgoing texts to display/save, rather than vanish upon sending.

I would guess that widget appears by default upon install of GV, but in my case it did not.
I can't imagine it would install with hidden functionality as default.
Thanks for help.

5hi7h34d

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I would guess that widget appears by default upon install of GV, but in my case it did not.

No, it doesn't. You're right, it seems like it should though. Then again perhaps it is because I run Go Launcher EX instead of the default.

Zi6m

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
No, it doesn't. You're right, it seems like it should though. Then again perhaps it is because I run Go Launcher EX instead of the default.

Yes, its pretty confusing. So much to learn.
I just figured out XP now I have to learn WIN7 !

So, why would/should I root?
Why does VM install stuff I can't delete.
Why would anyone use Twitter?
Why is there so little memory on the phone side?
Why can't I move stuff / junk to card...?

So many questions - sigh... :D
Thanks for help
Z

5hi7h34d

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Yes, its pretty confusing. So much to learn.
I just figured out XP now I have to learn WIN7 !

So, why would/should I root?
Why does VM install stuff I can't delete.
Why would anyone use Twitter?
Why is there so little memory on the phone side?
Why can't I move stuff / junk to card...?

So many questions - sigh... :D
Thanks for help
Z

Yea, me too. Only had a smartphone for a month now. I'll never get the Twitter/Facebook phenomenon but I can ignore it easily. I can't ignore the bloatware apps on my phone I can't delete so I will be investigating rooting my phone in the near future.

Zi6m

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for reply.

I appreciate your informative answers on rooting, flash memory etc good to know.

SD card storage: I only have a few apps downloaded and none of them have the option to move to card. I understand the developer may preclude that option, so I guess I have selected those that can't move.
(Google Voice - Youtube - Speedtest.net etc)

Messaging: Trying to get my folder selection to stick, rather than revert every time I navigate away from that screen.

(Google) VOICE widget - MENU - LABELS - ALL,
Can't get that selection to save and stick....

Thx again Z

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke