Scared of rooting and flashing

kofman13

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm really tempted to try a custom rom but there's a few things holding me back.
1. It voids your warranty right? I'm scared I'll drop and break the phone right after i root as a cruel joke.
2. Is it true that if you move more "phone only apps" into sd, the are problems? Like widgets not working etc?
3. I heard i won't be able to get OS update legitamately through sw update if I use a different rom. This true?

kofman13

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
If I revert to stock then I could get covered by warranty again? In case of repairs. I just also scared of bricking my phone during all this and having to buy a new one when it now costs almost $100 more then when i bought it.
Other than apps I need widgets for, it's save to dump them to card? Like maps and gmail and other core stuff.
How do you update if you can't through sw update. Do they release a manual OS update file with the OTA one?

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
If I revert to stock then I could get covered by warranty again?

Morally, no.
In reality, yes.

They have no way of knowing you rooted the phone or did anything else to it, especially if the phone is broken and won't turn on. It'll look like any other phone, and they'll honor the warranty even though technically they shouldn't.

You have to ask yourself, are you a Homer or a Flanders?

kofman13

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Definitely homer. One question still.
How will I update when there is a legit gingerbread update? There will be manual too?

Liquidplacidity

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
That's how I was at first. My friend has the Droid X and he'd always talk about flashing his, and he'd tell me that there's no harm in doing it. I was really hesitant, but I finally did it one day. I don't regret it at all. I'm using Aospmod, and I could never go back to stock. I don't have MMS but that doesn't bother me at all. It just works so well, and the built in theme changer is awesome. Oh and tethering.(If you'll ever use that sorta thing)

kofman13

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
thanks guys....
would anyone want to by my jedi master and help me through this? the info intutorials is kind of overwhelming plus im still wary of a few things...
do i need to do the root tutorial, THEN flash a custom room? or can i just flash a custom rom thats already rooted. ( less steps the better haha).

also after i put a custom rom, how will i activate again or get service with virgin mobile.
and will my android market account still recognize my same phone

also.... some people said when putting rom on sd card to install i need to put GApps there too. but i looked at a rom i would want to use in the future and in instruction it just says put rom on sd card. nothing about g apps

Last edited:

Liquidplacidity

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
thanks guys....
would anyone want to by my jedi master and help me through this? the info intutorials is kind of overwhelming plus im still wary of a few things...
do i need to do the root tutorial, THEN flash a custom room? or can i just flash a custom rom thats already rooted. ( less steps the better haha).

also after i put a custom rom, how will i activate again or get service with virgin mobile.
and will my android market account still recognize my same phone

also.... some people said when putting rom on sd card to install i need to put GApps there too. but i looked at a rom i would want to use in the future and in instruction it just says put rom on sd card. nothing about g apps

No matter how many custom roms you flash, your service will always stay active, unless Virgin mobile actually messes something up themselves. The market? It'll recognize it as long as you type in the same account username and password. As for gapps? I'm not really sure with that. I used to flash roms without flashing gapps, and it worked fine for me. It seems to be the updated market(?) but that's the only thing i'm confused about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance