Pbxes Deleted My VOIP Account!

bunklung

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE:
PBXes.org has halted service on my free account. I can successfully connect, but incoming and outgoing calls are dead. Smooth move! My account has not been deleted.

Boooooooooooooooooooooooo to PBXes.org for not being transparent about this.

I switched to sipgate.com and use google voice call back now.

ejlmd

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE:
PBXes.org has halted service on my free account. I can successfully connect, but incoming and outgoing calls are dead. Smooth move! My account has not been deleted.

Sometimes the pbxes account or server gets "stuck", so the android voip client will register with pbxes.org but won't complete incoming or outgoing calls.

If one logs into the pbxes.com website, then "Personal Settings" tab, then "Submit and Start", that seems to update/reset the entire configuration.

Also, make sure in Sipdroid codecs settings to disable the G722 HD codec, as that is only for paid accounts, and I think if it is enabled after some trial period its being enabled will block phone calls through pbxes

My free GV trunk is still working, but maybe I'm just lucky.

Last edited:
Reactions: bunklung

bunklung

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I never used the HD codec, so that wasn't a factor.

However, the "Submit and Start" worked like a charm. Thanks for the info. I hope this helps anyone else with the similar problem.

Sometimes the pbxes account or server gets "stuck", so the android voip client will register with pbxes.org but won't complete incoming or outgoing calls.

If one logs into the pbxes.com website, then "Personal Settings" tab, then "Submit and Start", that seems to update/reset the entire configuration.

Also, make sure in Sipdroid codecs settings to disable the G722 HD codec, as that is only for paid accounts, and I think if it is enabled after some trial period its being enabled will block phone calls through pbxes

My free GV trunk is still working, but maybe I'm just lucky.

NOMster

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Mine is still active but when someone calls i get the internet call and answer but they can't hear me. I have to call them back then everything is fine.

ejlmd

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Mine is still active but when someone calls i get the internet call and answer but they can't hear me. I have to call them back then everything is fine.

Google Voice only uses G711u (also called PCMU) codec to route incoming calls. Make sure you have that codec enabled in your android VOIP/SIP client, or the audio won't work.

Other codecs like SPEEX, GSM will work through PBXes using the outgoing Google Talk trunk, but not incoming from Google Voice.

Reactions: NOMster

NOMster

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Google Voice only uses G711u (also called PCMU) codec to route incoming calls. Make sure you have that codec enabled in your android VOIP/SIP client, or the audio won't work.

Other codecs like SPEEX, GSM will work through PBXes using the outgoing Google Talk trunk, but not incoming from Google Voice.
now um...how do i do this? i'm using pbx but i dont see these options

ejlmd

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
now um...how do i do this? i'm using pbx but i dont see these options
In Sipdroid, hit menu button, Settings, Audio Codecs, then the list of codecs will display.
Touch the pull down arrow to the right of each codec to enable, disable, etc.
For free PBXes accounts using Google Voice, make sure G722 HD Voice (64bit) is disabled, and make sure PCMU (64bit) is enabled.
You change the order of codecs by long press on the name of the codec to move up or down.
I leave GSM first and PCMU second, with everything else disabled. It is said to keep the SIP invites more "compact" if one minimizes the number of enabled codecs.
Incoming calls by GV will always use PCMU, but outgoing GSM and SPEEX also operate if they're listed first. Both seem less jittery to me over 3G than PCMU (G711u), which uses higher data throughput and is supposedly less forgiving of packet loss.
I've read that SPEEX is more CPU intensive than GSM, but they seem to behave similarly for me on the OV using 3G data.

Reactions: NOMster

ejlmd

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Ah. See I'm using the native internet calling 'n gingerbread. No sipdroid involved.

With the native gingerbread client, and also CSipsimple, in my experience you have to use UDP, not TCP. This much more rapidly drains the battery due to frequent keepalives to the server. There's no choice of codecs in the native client.

Enable "Receive incoming calls".

Add account:
username is for example NOMster-200
password is your extension password on your pbxes.org account configuration page, not your google password.
server is pbxes.org
enable "set as primary account."
You have to hit "menu" to save your settings:
Use Internet Calling for all calls where network is available, or ask for each call.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
With the native gingerbread client, and also CSipsimple, in my experience you have to use UDP, not TCP. This much more rapidly drains the battery due to frequent keepalives to the server. There's no choice of codecs in the native client.

Add account:
password is your extension password on your pbxes.org account configuration page, not your google password.
server is pbxes.org
Use Internet Calling for all calls where network is available, or ask for each call.

I use TCP with CSipSimple. It works fine. The only catch is if you are connected with wireless and behind a firewall, you need to forward port 5060 to your phone.

NOMster

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

Add account:
server is pbxes.org

That's how its set up. I am set up to make all calls over data and it works fine. And I receive them also but when someone calls me they can't hear anything. I hear them but they get silence. So I call them back using internet calling just like the incoming call was and all is well.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Update: They deleted my account again. I give up :) Sipgate it is.

I would suggest everybody just deleting their account even a paid account. Sipgate seems to be so much easier to use. and I dont have to use three different service just to get it working.

If you have trouble getting signed up, DO email them and explain the problem. Initially I was kinda *****y with them but after 10 emails and some trial and error I finally got it working. I sent the Tech a gracious thank you email and told them I would gladly recommend the customer support as quality to anybody. And if there was a way to let his/her supervisor know I was pleased I would.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I would suggest everybody just deleting their account even a paid account. Sipgate seems to be so much easier to use. and I dont have to use three different service just to get it working.

If you have trouble getting signed up, DO email them and explain the problem. Initially I was kinda *****y with them but after 10 emails and some trial and error I finally got it working. I sent the Tech a gracious thank you email and told them I would gladly recommend the customer support as quality to anybody. And if there was a way to let his/her supervisor know I was pleased I would.

FYI, for those with paid subscriptions at pbxes, canceling your pbxes subscription results in the loss of your service THAT MOMENT. So even if you have 29 days left for the month you already paid for, pbxes will cancel your service that day and will not refund any of your money. There is no other way to cancel a subscription. So if you want to get all your money's worth, you have to cancel manually on the last day of your subscription. But don't screw up, or you'll be charged for another month. Really classy way to do things! Don't forget that once you cancel, you won't be able to contact CS. So if something screws up and they keep charging you every month, there is no one to contact. You have to file a complaint with paypal and wait weeks if not more for a resolution.

Seriously, everyone give Sipgate a shot. It has been nothing but awesomeness.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
FYI, for those with paid subscriptions at pbxes, canceling your pbxes subscription results in the loss of your service THAT MOMENT. So even if you have 29 days left for the month you already paid for, pbxes will cancel your service that day and will not refund any of your money. There is no other way to cancel a subscription. So if you want to get all your money's worth, you have to cancel manually on the last day of your subscription. But don't screw up, or you'll be charged for another month. Really classy way to do things! Don't forget that once you cancel, you won't be able to contact CS. So if something screws up and they keep charging you every month, there is no one to contact. You have to file a complaint with paypal and wait weeks if not more for a resolution.

Seriously, everyone give Sipgate a shot. It has been nothing but awesomeness.

With paypal and most credit cards you can issue a chargeback. If you are honest and say they arent providing you with the service you expect paypal 99% of the time will issue a refund. I recently filed a chargeback on a service I paid for and within 3 days claim was settled and paypal refunded my money.

liebezeit

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Sipgate works fine but the latency is significantly higher than PBXes because of PBXes magical gtalk gateway.

What I want to know is--why can't we just have a GTalk client running on our phones that directly connects to Google but works like CSipSimple otherwise? Skip SIP, PBXes, all of it and go for the simplest, most reliable (because no third party involved) and lowest latency solution.

Put another way--why can I get a good low latency connection to Google Voice from Windows running Firefox running GMail...but not on Android?

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
If anyone is interested, here is how you an setup your CSipSimple to accept only voip calls when available and cellphone calls when not. This involves using Tasker.
  1. In Tasker, press New -> Event -> UI -> New Window
  2. For the label, place: CSipSimple
    Case matters! If you have sipdroid, use "Sipdroid" but I'm not sure of the capitalization. If CM7 uses a different window for voip calls than regular calls, you can use whatever the name of that window is.
  3. Next add a task. Phone -> Silence Ringer
  4. Go back and add a second context for this profile.
  5. State -> Incoming Call

Now when there is an incoming call AND the CSipSimple's window pops up, your phone's main ringer will be silenced and the cellphone incoming call dialogue will be suppressed. This won't stop CSipSimple from ringing or stop you from answering it. If you have an incoming call over your cellphone line, nothing will happen because the CSipSimple window won't pop up.

I should warn that this isn't 100% effective.

Tried this with CM7 and it wont work says the device doesnt support silent mode.

Last edited:

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Sipgate works fine but the latency is significantly higher than PBXes because of PBXes magical gtalk gateway.

What I want to know is--why can't we just have a GTalk client running on our phones that directly connects to Google but works like CSipSimple otherwise? Skip SIP, PBXes, all of it and go for the simplest, most reliable (because no third party involved) and lowest latency solution.

Put another way--why can I get a good low latency connection to Google Voice from Windows running Firefox running GMail...but not on Android?

The Gtalk protocol is Jabber. It's actually an open source IM'ing protocol. There are Jabber clients for android and you can even get them to connect to Gtalk. I haven't tested it, but you should be able to get calls too if the client has voice capabilities. The problem is that the jabber clients are configured for IM and not making calls. They would need to send the correct commands to make a call over Gtalk, and I'm not sure what those commands are. I'm not really positive how pbxes is pulling it off because they are essentially reselling google phone service for a profit. My guess is that they are actually doing a sort of google callback, but on the server side so that it is transparent to you.

I think it is only a matter of time before google cuts off pbxes. So don't be too jealous. Google will most likely come out with it's own VOIP system this year since it axed Gizmo5. Then it will have complete access to all aspects of my life. It already has my email, mapping, phone OS, phone contacts, documents, im's, texts, credit cards, GPS location, and youtube clips. All it needs is the actual content of my phone conversations. Then when I go to search online, google will have pre-filled the search box, searched (instant), clicked the relevant ad, and ordered the product for me.