Using Wifi Only with no VM plan active?

aliencode

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
So I let my plan on my Optimus V and have not topped up, I have several phones but my kids like to play Talking Tom and Youtube videos on my Optimus so I switched it to Wifi on my home network... but I am unable to access the internet at all in any application on the phone. Does VirginMobile LOCK your device network connections from even using Wifi if you dont have current service?

aliencode

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
It does not have that power.

While that may be true Ive used Wifi here at home lots of times on the Optimus while the plan was active and it always worked, is there some setting that you can think of that I have to enable/disable when the phone has no active plan.

The default browser has no connection none of the apps have a connection and my wifi works just fine on every other device.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Did the wireless work before? It sounds unlikely that they would do such a thing. Not impossible though. You can try downloading droidwall onto your computer and transferring the apk to the phone over USB. Install it, and set the firewall rules to allow "all applications" over wifi, then enable the firewall. If they did block wifi, that might unblock it.

aliencode

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
After doing some testing... looks like I can access IP addresses directly within the browser, the name servers must be hard coded into the stock rom. Does anyone know if other roms allow you to change nameservers?

aliencode

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Fixed.
Had to go into advanced wifi settings (had no idea there was such a thing sounds noobish but really lol) and make sure to set static ip.

Still strange that wifi would work out of the box with the VM service active but had to actually set up wifi settings and dns servers manually without VM service.

Thanks for the quick responses much much appreciated.

sixit

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
WiFi works without a Virgin Mobile Plan on the LG Optimus V

The LG Optimus V phone will work fine on WiFi without any Virgin Mobile (VM) plan or even account. The phone doesn't care what the account state is - as long as it can get to a WiFi connection.

Liquidplacidity

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Did the wireless work before? It sounds unlikely that they would do such a thing. Not impossible though. You can try downloading droidwall onto your computer and transferring the apk to the phone over USB. Install it, and set the firewall rules to allow "all applications" over wifi, then enable the firewall. If they did block wifi, that might unblock it.

Actually, that is impossible. lol. Virgin Mobile has no control over your internet provider, and the wireless card inside your phone. The only way that they could do it, is if they push some sort of setting into the phone, as the account is running out, disabling the wifi chip. But I highly doubt that they do that. The network has no control over whatever is in the phone, as long as you don't have service with them.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Actually, that is impossible. lol. Virgin Mobile has no control over your internet provider, and the wireless card inside your phone. The only way that they could do it, is if they push some sort of setting into the phone, as the account is running out, disabling the wifi chip. But I highly doubt that they do that. The network has no control over whatever is in the phone, as long as you don't have service with them.

Actually, google has a backdoor to all of these phones. That is how they remotely uninstalled those malicious apps back in March (without anyone's consent). VM could just as easily disable the net capabilities of your phone when you deactivate it by running one simple line of code rerouting your Wifi iptables. They obviously didn't in this case, but pretend like they couldn't.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781