VoIP on Optimus for Dummies

yoramsk

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I love the phone but 300 minutes is not enough for me. I have struggled to find a guide to setting up a functional hassle free way to make calls using the data connection. I would appreciate it if someone would treat me like the idiot that I am and provide a step by step guide to making and receiving free or low cost calls on this phone. Please don't assume prior knowledge as this is my first smart phone. Thanks in advance.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
In this thread
http://forum.androidcentral.com/optimus-v/75635-pbxes-deleted-my-voip-account.html
there is a guide posted on the first page.

However I will post quotes and links.

Follow this guide but don't use sipdroid: Never Run Out of Minutes Again: Make Free VoIP Calls on Android Phones - How-To Geek

Install csipsimple instead from the market.
Add your sipgate account to csipsimple.
Then Settings -> Filters -> Click your sipfate account -> Add filter
Auto Answer
Contains
Then write in your google voice number.

If you use sipdroid, you'll have to answer a call every time you want to make a call.

When you are done with the guide, log into your Sipgate account at sipgate.com, change your voicemail setting to answer after 60 seconds so that your google voicemail will pick up first. You'll also want to delete the "When I am on the phone" and "When phone is offline/unavailable." rules. Don't set those up to forward to your cellphone because they charge you mins for those forwarded calls.

Instead, set google voice to call both sipgate and your cell phone at the same time.

When you make calls, google callback will make your voice account call csipcimple through sipgate, and csipsimple will autoanswer and your outgoing call will start.
When you get incoming google voice calls, they get routed to your sipgate account which csipsimple is registered to. You'll also get the phone call from google voice on your cell phone line so that if sipgate doesn't work, you'll still get your phone calls.

Only give out your google voice number and your friends will only get calls from your google voice number.

Takenover83

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
There is alot of info here but some of it is outdated. Free VOIP is ever changing. As of the date of this post, you will need the following.

A Google Voice account. (https://www.google.com/voice/signup)
A Sipgate One account. (sipgate one)

You will need the following apps from the Market.

Csipsimple or sipdroid (or use the native voip if you are on a 2.3 rom. If you are on 2.2.1 then use one of the sip clients I mentioned). Both are very good. I recommend Csipsimple as it's pretty easy to use and has a sipgate profile.
Google Voice
gvcallback

All these are free. If I have not scared you away. Come back after you have setup your two accounts and downloaded the apps, and I am sure me or someone else can assist you.

Reactions: zires

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Pay fifteen more and get 1200 minutes? Your probably in the same boat as me. I don't have the 15 extra to spend. I use skype but that's wifi only. Honestly I don't think our data connection can handle voice. I know mine can't anyways. I am lucky to get 500k down and 300k up. I tried google voice but it didn't have any numbers in my area to use.

Edit
Shows what I know. Lol, so much info was added as I typed mine out.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Pay fifteen more and get 1200 minutes? Your probably in the same boat as me. I don't have the 15 extra to spend. I use skype but that's wifi only. Honestly I don't think our data connection can handle voice. I know mine can't anyways. I am lucky to get 500k down and 300k up. I tried google voice but it didn't have any numbers in my area to use.

Edit
Shows what I know. Lol, so much info was added as I typed mine out.

Most of the time I can make calls people just have to be patient when answering. In this day and age they expect people to always instantly say hello when the phone is answered. There is/will be a time delay when using voip. Even when calling from my pc there is a slight delay.

I also dont have the greatest 3g connection but it works in a pinch.

Takenover83

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
It will save you minutes regardless. I only use my 300 when I am out and about. If I am home or somewhere with wifi, I always use VOIP. If I have a decent 3G connection, then I will use VOIP if I know the convo is going to be longer then a couple minutes.

Elmdor

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Hey Guys..

My PBXES account was deleted so I'm trying to use sipgate and sipdroid with GVcallback.

It worked just once, now it just hangs on waiting for GVcallback and when I go to sipgate it just says new message. I deleted my forwarding rules except for voicemails, no idea what is wrong. Any ideas?

Update.. sipdroid says "preferred" instead of "registered" which I think it should, is that something I can fix somehow?

Takenover83

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
You have to use gvcallback. Do not use the dialer in sipgate/csipsimple. Incoming calls are 100% free and cost 0 minutes. So you use google voice to setup a incoming call and connect you to your outgoing number. That's where gvcallback comes in.

I have gvcallback setup to ask me each time I get ready to place a call if I want to use "phone or voip".

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
for some reason my minutes on sipgate are being used. i cant figure out why tho. i did everything right. even re did it twice.

Are you using google voice callback? If you call out using your sipgate account instead of using callback, it'll cost you minutes. Did you make the mistake of forwarding calls in the voicemail settings on sipgate.com? That will also cost you minutes.

thexxoffspring

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Are you using google voice callback? If you call out using your sipgate account instead of using callback, it'll cost you minutes. Did you make the mistake of forwarding calls in the voicemail settings on sipgate.com? That will also cost you minutes.

i have no voicemail settings in sipgate. i am using gvcallback. can someone explain to me the call process thats going on. like when i call my friend and gvcallback starts up what is happening?

thexxoffspring

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
also does it use minutes for incoming or outgoing calls? because i just did a test run using JUST my sipgate number and left it running for 5 minutes and it didnt take any minutes away

thexxoffspring

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Last edited:

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
im gonna try out this guide because sipgate seems to be acting weird for me

EDIT: couldnt exactly get this to work so im pretty frustrated and im going to bed lol. ill try pbexes or something else tomorrow

Guys follow the guide linked in my initial post. Do exactly as it says. Be sure to set it to udp also.

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
With all the hassles and BS with these free voip services i will stick to the 1200 minutes plan for 43 dollars,what would some of you do if this cheap plan was not available,or if the raise the price.

davidh44

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
It will save you minutes regardless. I only use my 300 when I am out and about. If I am home or somewhere with wifi, I always use VOIP. If I have a decent 3G connection, then I will use VOIP if I know the convo is going to be longer then a couple minutes.

I hear VoIP over 3G really blows due to high jitter and latency. That it's like talking on a 2-way radio.

What has your experience been with VoIP on the Optimus V and Virgin 3G?

zires

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
@davidh44,

I find that if I have a good wireless signal my 3g is good too and it okay. Better on wifi though.

Zires