New VOIP option for GV - single app solution: GrooVe IP

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I have a request. Since I only plan to use this app for when I am out of the country or cannot roam, which happens very rarely, I'd love the ability to shut it off. When I exit from the app it seems to randomly restart itself.

Is that possible?

FYI sound quality has been fine in my limited testing. Stock Optimus V.

Can you give me some more details on what happens when you press exit? Does it restart immediately? Or is it shutdown for sometime but later starts on its own? By starting on its own I'm assuming you mean the notification icon reappears?

lizm

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Can you give me some more details on what happens when you press exit? Does it restart immediately? Or is it shutdown for sometime but later starts on its own? By starting on its own I'm assuming you mean the notification icon reappears?

Not immediately. But the same day, and by reappear I mean the notification icon reappears, and is red. It's possible it happens when I shut down/restart the phone, I do that once in awhile.

I didn't see a way to prevent the latter (it starts with the phone) from happening.

Black Jesus

Banned
Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

The problem I am having with that is, I have the ask every time checked and if I force close the app and go to make a call using the regular cell service it pops up with the only choice availabe mobile network then the Groove ip icon still stays in the notification bar.
I don't receive calls I only want to make them using your app.
Maybe I am using it wrong.

scootincivic

Feb 16, 2011
civicscootin.3utilities.com
I've noticed something also..
Even when the app is unchecked for 3g/4g the app will still turn on/off for my google registration (notification icon red/green)..
(NOTE: this is with wifi off)

Sense the V only has 2g/3g and the option is unchecked for cell coverage I'm not understanding why the app is still trying to register with google..
Even though no WiFi is around nor connected..

Suggestions?..

Plus is there a way to disable the app on 2g (cdma) but have it turn on for 3g?..

Sent from my Optimus V vai Tapatalk

Last edited:

Black Jesus

Banned
Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Let me make this a little more clear I read my post and I was confused.
If I shut down Groove Ip let is stay shut down until I start it when I choose to use it.
If the app has been shut down manually no matter what settings I have it should not start.
I have a shortcut to the app next to the normal dialer and let me choose which one to use, Does that make more sense?

scootincivic

Feb 16, 2011
If I shut down Groove Ip let is stay shut down until I start it when I choose to use it.
If the app has been shut down manually no matter what settings I have it should not start.
I have a shortcut to the app next to the normal dialer and let me choose which one to use, Does that make more sense?
Sounds to me your asking for a widget toggle correct?

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Not immediately. But the same day, and by reappear I mean the notification icon reappears, and is red. It's possible it happens when I shut down/restart the phone, I do that once in awhile.

I didn't see a way to prevent the latter (it starts with the phone) from happening.

If it's just starting when the phone starts, there's a checkbox that controls that behavior. In the settings menu, in Miscellaneous, uncheck Autostart. Then the app won't start up anymore when your phone boots.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed something also..
Even when the app is unchecked for 3g/4g the app will still turn on/off for my google registration (notification icon red/green)..

Sense the V only has 2g/3g and the option is unchecked for cell coverage I'm not understanding why the app is still trying to register with google..

Suggestions?..

Plus is there a way to disable the app on 2g (cdma) but have it turn on for 3g?..

Right now there's no way to disable only for 2G. If you have Allow 2G/3G calling unchecked the app will only try and register when you are on WiFi. But the notification icon will remain. You can change the notification icon behavior to only appear on registration changes.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site

What you want is that even if you have "Ask every call" selected, if the app is stopped you don't want it to ask, correct?

I think I should be able to do that. Right now in my manifest.xml I register to receive phone intents. Android calls my receiver even if the app is not running. I think if I take that register to receive out of the manifest.xml and put it into the code somewhere that may fix it. I'll play around.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I've edited my last post..

The issue is with wifi off..

Are you saying that the icon changes to green when you are not on wifi and the allow 3g/4g calling is unchecked?

If the app is running the icon will still stay in the notification bar. It just should always stay red.

Black Jesus

Banned
Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
What you want is that even if you have "Ask every call" selected, if the app is stopped you don't want it to ask, correct?

I think I should be able to do that. Right now in my manifest.xml I register to receive phone intents. Android calls my receiver even if the app is not running. I think if I take that register to receive out of the manifest.xml and put it into the code somewhere that may fix it. I'll play around.

Exactly, Just like in my DeLorean When I do not want to travel time and go 88 mph I just turn the flux capacitor off. hehe

lizm

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
If it's just starting when the phone starts, there's a checkbox that controls that behavior. In the settings menu, in Miscellaneous, uncheck Autostart. Then the app won't start up anymore when your phone boots.

I had it unchecked. Have made sure of that, told it wi-fi only and to only make calls on mobile network, not Gip...restarted and will watch and see if it comes back on.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I had it unchecked. Have made sure of that, told it wi-fi only and to only make calls on mobile network, not Gip...restarted and will watch and see if it comes back on.

Ok, let me know. I'll also double check all the code and make sure we're not doing anything stupid.

scootincivic

Feb 16, 2011
Are you saying that the icon changes to green when you are not on wifi and the allow 3g/4g calling is unchecked?
correct..

Wifi off, 3g/4g unchecked..
Notification green..

It comes & goes at times so I'm trying to see if it's just an issue with my wifi chip turning on with out me doing it manually..
I'll post either way on this matter..
However I'm sure it's another app causing this issue our my chip is just going bad..

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
correct..

Wifi off, 3g/4g unchecked..
Notification green..

It comes & goes at times so I'm trying to see if it's just an issue with my wifi chip turning on with out me doing it manually..
I'll post either way on this matter..
However I'm sure it's another app causing this issue our my chip is just going bad..

I'll look into it also.

scootincivic

Feb 16, 2011
I'll look into it also.
found out the issue..
Wifi is on..
However when I'm not connected to a SSID the icon is still green..

In other words with in your code it seems like you have the app connect if wifi is on regardless if it's connected to a SSID or not..
Showing a false state of connection..

That's the only thing I can come up with at least for now..

P.S. Getting a debit card next pay day just to buy your app!.. One should feel special

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21