New VOIP option for GV - single app solution: GrooVe IP

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
after comparing this app with skype, skype seems to have a more stable voice transmission with fewer drop outs. i tried calling my friend with groove and he couldnt even hear me, it would only transmit the last half of my statement. i did a comparison calling my landline and skype was the winner.

Groove IP:

Pros:
Google voice service without using your providers (VM) minutes
FREE service (-2.99$)
FREE Number

Cons:
New app with relatively little features
voice drop outs frequently while speaking

Pros:
Stable voice, reliable
APP is loaded with features

Cons:
Monthly fee
have to pay for a number which is extra ontop of the service

This app is promising, but i will hold off for a while until the devs have a chance to update and polish it. For now i will stick with skype.

Sorry you're having problems! Can you tell me what phone you're using? And are you using 3G or WiFi?

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
links for those of us that would like to check it out.

I think this may work. GrooVe IP | Facebook. It may not work, I was reading that you need to have a certain number of people like or follow you before it becomes a real page. I'm actually pretty surprised the people who have followed so far found the page. There's really not much there right now.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I think this may work. GrooVe IP | Facebook. It may not work, I was reading that you need to have a certain number of people like or follow you before it becomes a real page. I'm actually pretty surprised the people who have followed so far found the page. There's really not much there right now.

Well I would link it in your sig on here and any other forums you post on.
I liked it and will keep my eye on it for updates :D.

one80oneday

Jan 25, 2011
twitter.com
This app is awesome and works perfect! I've always wanted a simple, all in one solution for VOIP and this app blows Nettalk outta the water. I won't ever need to use it because I don't use any mins but will come in handy when my wife decides to upgrade to an Android and when out of the country.

My only suggestion would be an option to disable the notification icon in the taskbar always on & maybe smart dialing.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
This app is awesome and works perfect! I've always wanted a simple, all in one solution for VOIP and this app blows Nettalk outta the water. I won't ever need to use it because I don't use any mins but will come in handy when my wife decides to upgrade to an Android and when out of the country.

My only suggestion would be an option to disable the notification icon in the taskbar always on & maybe smart dialing.

Can you explain smart dialing? Not familiar.

Also, just out of curiosity, why would you want the notification icon invisible? Without it there's really no way to know if your registered or not. Believe making it a toggle is already on our list, just never knew why someone would want it off.

vee

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Just got your app, I used it with wifi, worked as expected. Tried it on 3g and the other person couldn't hear me, and the other person was cutting off on my side. Full bars. But wifi works well.

Last edited:

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
How's the battery life on 3g for those who just leave on the app?

And my girlfriend complained of echo issues, have others as well?

Hi. We're working on getting an echo canceler into the app. Until then you can reduce the echo by playing with the speaker volume and microphone gain settings. What causes the echo is your mic picks up sounds coming from the speaker and transmits it back to the person you're talking to. This causes them to hear themselves after a slight delay. You can improve it by reducing the speaker volume and/or reducing the mic gain. We tried to best guess the default settings but each phone is different.

anon(182107)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I just tested this and the call quality wasn't as good as regular voice other than that it works great.
I guess I can't complain considering its over 3G and I'm getting free calls!

Sent from my Optimus V using Tapatalk

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Price increase. $3.99 now. Up from $2.99.

Hopefully people think it's worth the extra $1. When we initially published we decided we'd increase the price once it sold a certain number, don't think any of us expected to hit that number so quickly. Really have to thank all of you for the feedback, support, and most of all patience you've shown us.

I'm pretty excited about the next version.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
The Developer should pimp this on some of the travel forums I know on the Carnival Cruise Line board on Cruise Critic they are always looking for cheap/free ways to call home from foreign ports assuming that it would work on wifi outside the usa.

Carnival Cruise Lines - Cruise Critic Message Boards

Should work on WiFi outside the US. Have talked to a few people who have used it in various countries. Thanks for the link!

Takenover83

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully people think it's worth the extra $1. When we initially published we decided we'd increase the price once it sold a certain number, don't think any of us expected to hit that number so quickly. Really have to thank all of you for the feedback, support, and most of all patience you've shown us.

I'm pretty excited about the next version.

Got any news you wanna share about the next version? Or is it going to be a surprise lol

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Got any news you wanna share about the next version? Or is it going to be a surprise lol

I see you shiver with antici........pation

I just don't want to over-promise. Haven't really tested anything that was coded over the weekend. But proximity sensor support, first stab at bluetooth, native call log integration, and registering as a dialer (so you can click a phone number in an email and GrooVe IP is an option to use to dial) all got "code completed" this weekend. Now just have to test and debug.

Reactions: Takenover83

Takenover83

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Sounds awesome. That should make many people happy. Guess you didn't take a day off as planned. Did you ever find out anything with the outgoing codecs? From my understanding, Google Voice supports a number of codecs for outgoing, but is limited for incoming? I remember reading about it somewhere, just do not remember where...

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Sounds awesome. That should make many people happy. Guess you didn't take a day off as planned. Did you ever find out anything with the outgoing codecs? From my understanding, Google Voice supports a number of codecs for outgoing, but is limited for incoming? I remember reading about it somewhere, just do not remember where...

We took another quick look. But none of the other codecs we tried worked even though they're on the supported list. We're planning to take another longer look maybe over the weekend.