Question on how to partion a sd card

skyscanr

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Ok I want to partion my sd card to make it so that app that can not be moved will be placed there .

My phone is rooted and I have down loaded linktosd .

How do I go about making 2 partions on the card .

I am new to this rooting stuff and dont really know where to look for the right info for this phone .

I have 2 cards so i can back up just in case

heelsfandave

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I used MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition - it's a free program that runs under windows. You can connect your phone via usb and repartition the sd card without losing the data. I had to format the new partition as FAT32 (tried ext2, but it did not work).

skyscanr

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I used MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition - it's a free program that runs under windows. You can connect your phone via usb and repartition the sd card without losing the data. I had to format the new partition as FAT32 (tried ext2, but it did not work).

Well this worked well . I at first tried it with just a fat32 and then a swap ,ext2,ext3 and it did not sem to work as far as adding memeory to my phone.

I then just did 2 fat 32 partitions and used linktosd and it seems to work .

I have a extra card and going to try and do 2 fat 32 partitions and the just a ext2 and a swap and see what happens on a extra card

Thanks for all the help no I can reinstall a few apps that I just did not have the memory for :) like Hbo Go

qwer123123

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I had the issue before. I searched online and found some partition tool. it can help you manage your card. the product name is EaseUS.you can search it online.

jAdOg@88

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
In my experience, it's always better to partition the sdcard with the phone you are using. Most all custom recoveries have the partition sdcard in the menu.
I know of others and myself who have messed up their sdcard by using the mini tool or other agents via USB.
Some of it in the language/binary, other in transfer/connection.

VM670 on ZVJ-running Hydro Rom

bjzapp

Where did u hear tht word
Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
If your not rooted and running a custom ROM that supports use of an ext# partition you will never see any benefit in doing this.

This link might help you understand more: [SCRIPTS]CronMod-A2SD/D2EXT/INT2EXT (updated 09/19) - xda-developers

X2
I agree with that.
I'm thinking he's wanting to basically move most of the apps to SD and not "link"
IDK...I'm not even sure quite how certain things would run on SD alone or if at all.???
There are only a couple I use that are moved to SD alone .

glarepate

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Well this worked well . I at first tried it with just a fat32 and then a swap ,ext2,ext3 and it did not sem to work as far as adding memeory to my phone.

I then just did 2 fat 32 partitions and used linktosd and it seems to work .

I have a extra card and going to try and do 2 fat 32 partitions and the just a ext2 and a swap and see what happens on a extra card

Thanks for all the help no I can reinstall a few apps that I just did not have the memory for :) like Hbo Go

A swap partition is a bad idea for almost any way you will use your phone.

The only thing a swap partition is for is as a place to move operating system processes to, i.e. running programs, not stored apps waiting to be started up, when your phone runs out of RAM (not NVRAM or sdcard space, real RAM). So what will happen is that the swap partition on the memory card will get worn out much faster and your phone will slow down while processes get swapped from the card to RAM and back. And normally if you run out of RAM the OS just kills programs that aren't being used and frees up RAM for the one that is running.

You want to have 2 non-swap partitions. If you use Windows and want to read the card with it use fat32 for the first/main partition. You probably won't ever need to read or write the stuff on the extended partition so it can be vfat/fat32, ext2, 3, or 4, but not swap. And maybe not ext4 since not all OS kernels support that format.

Simplest way to go is have 2 fat32s and the second one should be no bigger than 1GB since some ROMs can't work with a partition bigger than that. That size problem is going away for most ROMs but you're not likely to need more than a gig anyway, so don't waste the space on it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc