Does Google Voice work with OV?

nemirn

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I have set up Google Voice correctly as far as I can tell.
The GV phone # works when making/receiving calls, and I am completely aware that Virgin still counts these minutes because they originate on the mobile network.

Here are the problems I have:
1) When I log in to the Google Voice website, it is on the fritz! The page doesn't load completely, and appears to be constantly refreshing. None of the buttons/links work, so I can't even get into the settings. I have tried this on multiple computers with WInXP or Win7.
2) I can't figure out how to send a text message from my phone through Google Voice. I want my GV# to appear on all my outgoing text messages so that people don't try to use my "real" phone #.

If anyone has any advice, I would appreciate it!

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
1. Don't bother trying to use google voice through your mobile web browser. This app lets you make google voice voip calls without using your mobile minutes: http://forum.androidcentral.com/opt...-option-gv-single-app-solution-groove-ip.html
2. For regular calls and texts to appear to be from your google voice number, install the official google voice app. Within the settings of the app, change to "always use google voice". That will make all your regular non Groove IP calls have your GV number. When you want to send a text, use the same official google voice app, and it will send texts using your GV number. The replies will also come to the GV app. If you use the built in text app of the phone, it will use your virgin mobile number.

Last edited:

ScatterBrained

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I have set up Google Voice correctly as far as I can tell.
The GV phone # works when making/receiving calls, and I am completely aware that Virgin still counts these minutes because they originate on the mobile network.

Here are the problems I have:
1) When I log in to the Google Voice website, it is on the fritz! The page doesn't load completely, and appears to be constantly refreshing. None of the buttons/links work, so I can't even get into the settings. I have tried this on multiple computers with WInXP or Win7.
2) I can't figure out how to send a text message from my phone through Google Voice. I want my GV# to appear on all my outgoing text messages so that people don't try to use my "real" phone #.

If anyone has any advice, I would appreciate it!

1. I just logged into the Google Voice website from my pc and it works fine, perhaps it was a temporary error, try again and see if you still experience issues. Did you try from different computers on the same network? Perhaps its a network error. If you log in the website again and still experience problems, try again from a different network.

2. Open settings, manage applications, all, messaging, launch by default, clear defaults. Now go to a contact, select the icon to send a text message and a box should pop up asking you to complete action using either Google Voice or Messaging. Check the box at the bottom that says use by default for this action and select Google voice.

nemirn

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Well it finally started working after using another gmail account to start a new GV account and claim the cell #, then reclaiming the cell # with my original GV account.

Terry Guthrie

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Nothing seems to work!!!! I am just a old country boy but can follow instructions. Someone please give me step by step to get this voice thing off my phone

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
AFAIK the following is the easiest way of using Google Voice directly on the data/WiFi connection.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../details?id=com.moplus.gvphone&token=OPSlPUTf

Using a PC, do the following
- Set up your google voice and get your number
- Forward incoming google voice calls to gtalk
- Make at least one phone call on gtalk
- Call your google voice number from another phone (can be an ordinary phone call from your cell phone) and receive on gtalk

Do the followings on your OV
- Install the app above
- In the app, login to your gmail address that your google voice and google talk are connected to

That's it. Start making and receiving calls directly from Google Voice/Talk on data/WiFi connection. These calls will be independent of your cell phone minutes.