Juice Defender help - 'configured apps' feature not working

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
My goal is to set Juice Defender Plus to recognize, if Pandora and/or Meebo IM are running, to NOT disable my data with the screen off. I have both those apps configured in the app configuration as 'enable/screen off', which I think is the proper way to do it, yet the data stream always gets cut off when my screen goes black anyway.

Is there something different I should be configuring to get what I want, or is the app being buggy?

theboundless

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
My goal is to set Juice Defender Plus to recognize, if Pandora and/or Meebo IM are running, to NOT disable my data with the screen off. I have both those apps configured in the app configuration as 'enable/screen off', which I think is the proper way to do it, yet the data stream always gets cut off when my screen goes black anyway.

Is there something different I should be configuring to get what I want, or is the app being buggy?
Yes, juicedefender is buggy and bloaty, that's why I use tasker. But there may be another reason its cutting off the data; it is because the app (pandora, etc.) is in the background, and maybe juicedefender needs it to be in the foreground. It doesn't seem like android apps are all that good at detecting when something is running in the background, it needs that program to be the open program on-screen to recognize it. So try to keep the pandora app open and see if juicedefender recognizes it.

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Yes, juicedefender is buggy and bloaty, that's why I use tasker. But there may be another reason its cutting off the data; it is because the app (pandora, etc.) is in the background, and maybe juicedefender needs it to be in the foreground. It doesn't seem like android apps are all that good at detecting when something is running in the background, it needs that program to be the open program on-screen to recognize it. So try to keep the pandora app open and see if juicedefender recognizes it.

Thanks for the tip. That didn't work either. I'll just keep JD on, but when I need to keep Meebo IM or Pandora going, I'll just disable JD. sort of a pain, but JD really does make a huge difference in battery life it's worth. Just wished it would work as advertised because I did step up to the 1.99 Plus version. Not that it's a ton of money, just more principle.

ScatterBrained

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site

I purchased Juice Defender Plus for the same reason, I wanted certain apps to have internet access even with the screen off, configured as enable/screen off, but it didnt work for me. I uninstalled Juice Defender and installed DroidWall, set allow all for wifi and selected the apps I need to have access even with the screen off for 3G. Perhaps some similar setup will work for you.

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I purchased Juice Defender Plus for the same reason, I wanted certain apps to have internet access even with the screen off, configured as enable/screen off, but it didnt work for me. I uninstalled Juice Defender and installed DroidWall, set allow all for wifi and selected the apps I need to have access even with the screen off for 3G. Perhaps some similar setup will work for you.

I really have just decided to disable JDP if I need to keep Meebo or Pandora running, and enable it if I don't. Not a hard thing to toggle. Manual power management is a necessary thing with these power hungry phones. Even my iPhone 4 that I had burned thru it's battery pretty swiftly.

theboundless

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I really have just decided to disable JDP if I need to keep Meebo or Pandora running, and enable it if I don't. Not a hard thing to toggle. Manual power management is a necessary thing with these power hungry phones. Even my iPhone 4 that I had burned thru it's battery pretty swiftly.
I've found juicedefender actually hurt my battery life, depending on how much you turn the screen on/off with the 3g auto on/off, or how often you have it turn on 3g when the screen is off to check email, the battery drain cause by the constant turning on and off of 3g negates the power savings. In my testing, there is a definite strong power spike caused by turning on and off 3g. Its not like the measly power spike of turning on and off your desk lamp, probably because the evdo not only turns on, but it has to search for towers, connect and confirm connection to those towers every single time 3g is turned on. If you turn your screen on and off a lot, like I do because I text a lot, juicedefender wastes battery. There are other, I think better ways to save battery besides juicedefender, that'll get you to idle battery drain at only 1-2% an hour with 3g on the whole time.

Tracid

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I've found juicedefender actually hurt my battery life, depending on how much you turn the screen on/off with the 3g auto on/off, or how often you have it turn on 3g when the screen is off to check email, the battery drain cause by the constant turning on and off of 3g negates the power savings. In my testing, there is a definite strong power spike caused by turning on and off 3g. Its not like the measly power spike of turning on and off your desk lamp, probably because the evdo not only turns on, but it has to search for towers, connect and confirm connection to those towers every single time 3g is turned on. If you turn your screen on and off a lot, like I do because I text a lot, juicedefender wastes battery. There are other, I think better ways to save battery besides juicedefender, that'll get you to idle battery drain at only 1-2% an hour with 3g on the whole time.

Such as?

trey3

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site

i've had a similar experience as boundless. went a week with configuring/tweaking juicedefender then went a week without. found i had much better battery life without jd.

i use the power widget to manually control wifi/bluetooth. whenever possible, i connect to wifi (home and work). autosync is turned off and running lookout. i get 3-5% drain per hour.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
i've had a similar experience as boundless. went a week with configuring/tweaking juicedefender then went a week without. found i had much better battery life without jd.

i use the power widget to manually control wifi/bluetooth. whenever possible, i connect to wifi (home and work). autosync is turned off and running lookout. i get 3-5% drain per hour.

Juice Defender is an automatic power saver and can't compare to manually controlling power use. It also doesn't fully function with Gingerbread. Its just simply about laziness. If ur lazy and don't do anything to save power ur device will fly through power. If ur lazy and don't do anything but download JD u will see some power savings. If ur not lazy and turn off everything ur not using u will see alot of power savings without an app for it.

trey3

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Juice Defender is an automatic power saver and can't compare to manually controlling power use. It also doesn't fully function with Gingerbread. Its just simply about laziness. If ur lazy and don't do anything to save power ur device will fly through power. If ur lazy and don't do anything but download JD u will see some power savings. If ur not lazy and turn off everything ur not using u will see alot of power savings without an app for it.

yes, i know what JD is supposed to do but for my case, it did not save battery life. i am unsure if it is the app, its interaction with other things, or what. it seems that any 3rd party app/widget i use that mucks with the radios on/off state, messes up my 3g connection and severely drains my battery. i haven't nailed down the root cause of this, but i have found a setup that works for me so i'm moving on ... without JD

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
The one situation where I found JD's benefits is when I'm out and about, no Wifi, barely using or even looking at my phone, but want it available to receive calls.

But any situation where I'm periodically checking emails, checking the time, looking something up, etc, it's been better to manually manage my radios.

mmahusky22

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

had the same issue and found this link:
JuiceDefender configured apps - Android Forums

seems that you need the app that is configure for "enable/screen off" to be on the foreground before you lock your phone or your screen turns off. i tested it and it works. so, basically just make sure your app aka pandora is showing before your phone locks. hope this helps.

Retorrent

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I sprung for the ultimate version of JD and I have little or no problems at all but I do have the beta version of the free one installed and unlocked it with the ultimate key. But I only have it set to aggressive profile and not one of the more configured ones. Ive been unplugged for 12 hrs and 45min and still have 68% left
cpu is set to 600min 806max ondemand. You sure your not getting the "TWS" bug?

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I sprung for the ultimate version of JD and I have little or no problems at all but I do have the beta version of the free one installed and unlocked it with the ultimate key. But I only have it set to aggressive profile and not one of the more configured ones. Ive been unplugged for 12 hrs and 45min and still have 68% left
cpu is set to 600min 806max ondemand. You sure your not getting the "TWS" bug?

TWS Bug?