Favorite on screen keyboard.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
SlideIt!

Most intuitive swiping and tapping combo out there by far. It also has directional keys that most keyboards lack so that you can move around text one letter at a time if you need to.

Reactions: Kreatur3

Kreatur3

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
SlideIt!

Most intuitive swiping and tapping combo out there by far. It also has directional keys that most keyboards lack so that you can move around text one letter at a time if you need to.

I wasn't aware there was another "swype" keyboard out there. I'll definitely have to give it a shot. I assume, since you dont use swype, you like this a lot more. I simply cant go back to hunt and peck type of texting since swype. BTW the new version of swype sucks lol.

nin

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
SlideIt!

Swype has this if you swype the bottom left key (swype symbol) to the next key (SYM). You get this section.
WUCJ0.png

I wasn't aware there was another "swype" keyboard out there. I'll definitely have to give it a shot. I assume, since you dont use swype, you like this a lot more. I simply cant go back to hunt and peck type of texting since swype. BTW the new version of swype sucks lol.

This is the thing with any app lol, personally I have the opposite feeling so I know a bunch of keyboards will be posted. The new Swype they released is a huge improvement and my favorite for sure now. It no longer has that annoying popup with suggested words, or the one that pops up saying "your word was below the top suggestion" or whatever. It no longer adds words automatically to the dictionary, this way when you misspell something it won't be misspelled when you type the intended word again. Instead if you type something unique it says "Add this word to the dictionary". As a pop up replacement you get a bar with suggested words similar to the swiftkey keyboard. Tapping on a word anywhere in the message brings up the bar with the suggested words, works great when typing fast and one word shares similar letters, no need for deletion and retyping, just two taps.

The way I use my phone it works for me perfectly. One thing I don't suggest with swype is long messages. The automatic spacing (you can disable it) is a great feature but can be annoying the longer you type. So depending on your use other suggestions will be better.

Last edited:

x_magus_x

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
SwiftKey

-Predicts better over use/time
-Scales properly with screen density changes (unlike Swype or SwiftKey X)
-Has numpad-style configuration even when not entering phone number (unlike pretty much every other virtual keyboard)

Reactions: Kreatur3

Kreatur3

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
The new Swype they released is a huge improvement and my favorite for sure now. It no longer has that annoying popup with suggested words, or the one that pops up saying "your word was below the top suggestion" or whatever. It no longer adds words automatically to the dictionary, this way when you misspell something it won't be misspelled when you type the intended word again. Instead if you type something unique it says "Add this word to the dictionary". As a pop up replacement you get a bar with suggested words similar to the swiftkey keyboard. Tapping on a word anywhere in the message brings up the bar with the suggested words, works great when typing fast and one word shares similar letters, no need for deletion and retyping, just two taps.

The way I use my phone it works for me perfectly. One thing I don't suggest with swype is long messages. The automatic spacing (you can disable it) is a great feature but can be annoying the longer you type. So depending on your use other suggestions will be better.

The things I dont like in the new one are that, if you type a word it doesn't have, and press space it will revert it back to whatever top word was in it's own list. Also when type on a screen the keyboard will stick to the top over the dialogue box so I can't even see what I'm typing. I really didn't mind the pop-up box.

nin

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
The things I dont like in the new one are that, if you type a word it doesn't have, and press space it will revert it back to whatever top word was in it's own list. Also when type on a screen the keyboard will stick to the top over the dialogue box so I can't even see what I'm typing. I really didn't mind the pop-up box.

Never knew about the space thing, when typing something I am sure it doesn't know I tap the left box since it has the exact way you spelled it and with automatic spacing enabled I start typing the next word and let it adjust/space itself.

The second problem I actually did notice once and agree, it is very annoying. Swiftkey sounds like it has the solution by scaling itself automatically.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
SwiftKey

-Has numpad-style configuration even when not entering phone number (unlike pretty much every other virtual keyboard)

Hadn't heard about that one. Thanks, I'll try it out.

Kreatur3

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I have two now to try out. Slideit and Swiftkey. I like the 2.8 version of swype but more than willing to try a "swype" type of keyboard that is an improvement over the 2.x or the 3.x.

Kiernon

Total homewrecker.
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
SwiftKey

Giving Swiftkey a shoutout as well for the same reasons Magus listed.
It just feels right for me, and it's what I keep going back to. Great keyboard.

-K

SagaciousB

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I haven't tried it yet, but a friend of mine really likes a swype-like one called FlexT9.
I hate the fact that they have T9 in the name, though. Based on the name I would expect that it tries to emulate and old-school number pad for people who have T9 in muscle-memory and just can't give it up. Not the case.

Somebody in their marketing department should be fired.

Last edited:

sharpe351

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Currently trying slideit. Must say its much better than Swype. Hated all the "tips" popping up constantly. Seems more precise too.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
So I read up about swiftkey. It is an interesting idea, but I'm not too comfortable with giving it access to facebook, email, im...etc. I realize it is necessary for the app to adapt to the way you type online, but how do I know what they are doing with all of that data? Plus, I think too many kids already type online as if they have some sort of mental handicap. What is wrong with just typing out your words?

Has anyone used swiftkey? How is it in terms of predicting your words?

Retorrent

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm a big fan of better keyboard because I like the "Glow" skin for it and I also have swiftkey, wish I had something I could take pics of my screen with so I could post a pic

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax