root with 4.1.2?

Deucalion29710

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
OK my portable hotspot is essential to my home setup. After this upgrade, or downgrade rather, I lost all functionality of my hotspot. Does anybody know how to root with this so-called upgrade? I was looking forward to getting jb but this is ridiculous. I finally get it and it thwarts my tethering. PDAnet does not work with most jb devices and that is the case for the Reverb with jb. I am told if I was root that I could use another app which would effectively disable Sprints internal blocking. So that everybody knows, the BIN4RY method DOES NOT WORK. Waste of time. It goes through the process and reboots this device, but when you try to confirm with Root Checker there is no root. Any ideas? Anybody?

bkttk2

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
You are not the only one looking for this fix. I know there is discussion at androidforums.com as well. I will post info here if I hear anything.

Deucalion29710

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Let me throw this out there...is there a way to get back to ice cream sandwich by using an application like Odin? I can't seem to find any clear instructions or working download links. I do know that performing a factory reset at this point would just simply wipe my user data and I would still have jellybean.

bkttk2

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Any chance you still have custom recovery and previous nand backup? Only thing I can think of. Would need to ensure the jb update does not reinstall if you are able to get back to rooted ics.

Sent from my SPH-M950

Deucalion29710

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I never made a back up and never put a recovery on it either. This phone was just sent to me a couple of weeks ago as a warranty replacement. Honestly given Virgin Mobile's track record I thought the Reverb would never see jb unless a bright CM dev wrote a rom. On my linux machine I am still able to get online via USB tether using Easy Tether. I wouldn't be so pissed about this past update if somebody could steer me in the right direction on how to get my hotspot working . I had a Linux machine, a tablet, PS3, and a smart TV all connected to my portasble hotspot, and in one act of genius VM yanked it all out from under me. Honestly they should send out a text on the day before these updates roll out describing what they are and what to expect from them. I mean really...they send you a text when your bill is due, right?

Last edited:

Merrill Baker

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
The only way I know how to root the new jelly bean is to flash cwm with Odin but make sure you uncheck the reboot after flash option so that after the flash is complete you can pull the battery before android actually boots the first time cause it won't work if you don't boot the first time directly into cwm recovery. After your in cwm just choose to reboot three device and it will ask to fix root choose yes and it'll reboot rooted. Simple as that. But you won't have cwm anymore for some reason every time you run jelly bean it goes back to original recovery agent but it will be rooted. I was also able to downgrade using cwm and odin. First download super helado or any rom that is ics based and store it on your external sd card than flash cwm the same as before and pull the battery and boot directly into cwm than completely wipe everything but the external sd card. Format data system delvik cache cache and internal sd card (not external card) than install the custom Rom and reboot. Than after reboot u will c in settings that it's android 4.0 again. Than shutdown reboot into recovery again and recover an old recovery from ics. If u don't have one I'm sure u can find one online if u research it. Than after u do the restore reboot and use kies to update to ics officially. If u don't it's still jelly bean that just says it's ics. If u try and restore the ics restore without the rom it will stay jelly bean and kies won't recognize it. Anyways this downgrade works well with galaxy reverb done it several times but u will still get the pop ups asking to upgrade and the only way I've found to get rid of that is to go into settings applications than under the all tab there is a Google framework services app just click disable on that and it will get rid of automatic ota updates but you also lose Google play store but you won't accidentally update in your pocket or anything. Just something to think bout.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2