My experience and question with over heating

dt81

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
Just used it for the first time... Words don't describe how *****ng amazing this thing is. OMG. I just did the jurassic Park and avengers preview and OMG. I love it!!!

Now my question... My s6 gets so damn hot that it tells me it needs to cool down. I only did those two above and it was less than 30 minutes and I had to let the phone cool down. Doesn't the fan in the unit help cool it down? Does it only work when I have it plugged into the outlet?

Posted via the Android Central App

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
This is one downside of the "Innovator" label Samsung put on the name. Basically it means it's not fully consumer ready but mostly is. Think of it as an early release or beta software. "Innovator" means there could be some bugs. This is one of them. I think it's a small inconvenience if you can find ways around it.

I really hope they figure out how to eliminate this overheating issue with future models but I understand why it happens:
- your phone is pushing the CPU really hard to render the VR app/game twice (split screen) and everything else needed to support VR such as enhanced head position tracking.
- increased CPU usage leads to increased battery usage.
- increased battery usage leads to heat.
- your phone is only a couple inches away from your eyes and forehead. Your head puts out the most heat from you body. This gets transferred to your phone.
- the Gear VR encloses one side of your phone completely, not allowing air to escape. Although with the S6 version they added small fans to help reduce fogging caused by the increased heat. Note 4 does not have that.

I don't want to scare people off that are considering buying the Gear VR. It's an incredible experience and very new to everyone. But it's part of the price to pay of being an early adopter.

There are ways to reduce the heat. Some suggestions to avoid overheating your phone:
- play in a cool, air conditioned environment
- play in front of or near a blowing fan
- play in your car with the AC turned on. Added bonus here is that you can plug into your car stereo system (if it supports that) and get fully immersive, huge sound (don't annoy you family or neighbors AND DON'T RUN YOUR CAR ENGINE IN AN ENCLOSED AREA SUCH AS A GARAGE)
- search this forum. One guy attached an ice pack to his Gear VR (not sure this is the best idea, could cause condensation or moisture. But he claims it works. Be careful with this idea. Don't ruin your phone or Gear VR.)
- search online for "fans for Gear VR". Some people have rigged up mini PC cooling fans and attached them to the Gear VR. They 3D printed a new face cover for the Gear VR to attach the high speed fans. They said it works very well. Here are two of the cooling rigs:
1. https://plus.google.com/104599526004704871048/posts/PXvguP75u1f
2. https://plus.google.com/+AnthonyMaddenVRStudio/posts/KbxowAb4zfn

- DON'T RUN YOUR CAR ENGINE IN THE GARAGE OR OTHER ENCLOSED SPACE! THAT CAN BE DEADLY.

On that last point, it's a very serious thing. I had a fellow student when I was in Junior High School who's whole family died one night.

One of the parents forgot that the car was running and closed the garage door and went in the house. They all died that night from the exhaust fumes.

Who knows if it was intentional or not. But please, don't do that.

Sorry, don't want to sound preachy, you might already know that is a bad thing to do but I had to add that.