HTC Vivid Rapid battery drain

jayjay1o1

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
I have had my Vivid for about one week, and I quickly noticed that the battery drains like crazy, about 1 percent a minute. I I download Juice defender, and but all that app does is shut off my wifi when I'm using it, but or runs my data when I'm not....please can anyone help me! I I really like this phone and I don't want to change it just because of the battery

I am unrooted with no unlocked bootloader, and running stock 4.01 ICS

satannik

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
All the att bloatware sucks up your battery life, if you don't want to root, I recommend advanced task killer, and don't use auto brightness.

jayjay1o1

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
Disabling auto-brightness seemed to have helped. I'm going to try to download advanced task killer, because I bricked my last Vivid and I don't want to risk rooting...

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Always thought task killers don't work on modern versions of android.

Auto brightness does seem wonky on this phone. I keep mine at 40-50%, run juice defender at pretty much default settings and easily get 9 hours unless I'm really working it. I don't do any other battery management. I even run a lwp.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Android Central Forums

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I get 15-19 hours with my extended battery. ATK still works fine, so no defaming it. Keep autosync off, disable background data, lowest brightness, and amazing life. :)

Sent from an Android using Android Central Forums

Vetdoctor

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
"System Panel" the paid version can show you apps that seem to be draining the system. My phone has refused to go to sleep for a long time and I'm still trying to figure out why. I tried a program for monitoring deep sleep but the vivid doesn't have the right file to monitor and the developer could not tell me anything more.

Certainly insuring as few programs as possible are "using the phone" in the background. Email, FB, Twitter, news. . . whatever. You can experiment with putting the phone on "Airplane mode" for hours when you aren't using it to see if they are draining battery by checking the network for information. (Airplane mode certainly prevents t hem from checking, I believe that would save the battery unless the programs are constantly waking the phone anyway. )

Check around. The word is that Task killers do not work since Android 1.0 or such.

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
"System Panel" the paid version can show you apps that seem to be draining the system. My phone has refused to go to sleep for a long time and I'm still trying to figure out why. I tried a program for monitoring deep sleep but the vivid doesn't have the right file to monitor and the developer could not tell me anything more.

Certainly insuring as few programs as possible are "using the phone" in the background. Email, FB, Twitter, news. . . whatever. You can experiment with putting the phone on "Airplane mode" for hours when you aren't using it to see if they are draining battery by checking the network for information. (Airplane mode certainly prevents t hem from checking, I believe that would save the battery unless the programs are constantly waking the phone anyway. )

Check around. The word is that Task killers do not work since Android 1.0 or such.

This was a while ago I posted this, with a better kernel code and governor, I no longer needed a task killer. As for deep sleep, the Vivid stock barely gets any. When nodded with the right kernel, it goes into deep sleep slightly after the screen goes off. Take a look at the screenshot below:uploadfromtaptalk1360205016033.jpg

As you can see with my extended battery, roughly the same time my screen goes off, the Vivid puts itself into low power, otherwise known as deep sleep.

And the word, technically phrase on the street and web thafs technically true is:

"Task Killers were only useful until FroYo (2.2.x) came out with the kernel instructions to have their own purging process, which, when disturbed, just let to battery drainage."

Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums

Vetdoctor

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

Regarding the low power/deep sleep: When I first bought the Vivid moving to it from the Sprint Evo was quite the event. The Evo on a good day couldn't make it more than 8 hours. The Vivid could do 12 without breaking a sweat and 24 if I was having a busy day and pretty much just didn't use the phone (Honey, I'm on my way home.). Now I find the Vivid is making it 4- 6 hours on a charge. Today, with the new Dolphin update , I found it twice hot with the CPU running 100%. Ending Dolphin solved the problem for the moment.

But enough about me, tell me about the kernel on your phone. Do you have to install a new ROM or is it possible to just put in a new kernel? Recently I saw Clockwork Mod has a beta out for the Vivid. I need my phone too much to beta with it and I don't have enough brains and time to fuss with it if it is having issues. I need something stable. The new M7 is looking better every day.

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

Regarding the low power/deep sleep: When I first bought the Vivid moving to it from the Sprint Evo was quite the event. The Evo on a good day couldn't make it more than 8 hours. The Vivid could do 12 without breaking a sweat and 24 if I was having a busy day and pretty much just didn't use the phone (Honey, I'm on my way home.). Now I find the Vivid is making it 4- 6 hours on a charge. Today, with the new Dolphin update , I found it twice hot with the CPU running 100%. Ending Dolphin solved the problem for the moment.

But enough about me, tell me about the kernel on your phone. Do you have to install a new ROM or is it possible to just put in a new kernel? Recently I saw Clockwork Mod has a beta out for the Vivid. I need my phone too much to beta with it and I don't have enough brains and time to fuss with it if it is having issues. I need something stable. The new M7 is looking better every day.

I keep hearing about the M7, I must look into it.

As for the kernel: It's a custom one, and to be honest, you can't just slap on any kernel, it has to be compatible with the Stock ROM. I do have a custom ROM. In my opinion, it would be quite better in the long run, however, if you just want to keep it stock, then look for a custom kernel that works with the stock ROM. ClockWork Mod is a custom Recovery that is pretty decent, although WCX recovery is actually a lot more better. And stable. No betas. The CWM beta you're talking about is CWM Touch. The ability to use captive buttons and the touch screen to navigate.

I totally trailed off, you would have to see if there is a kernel that is compatible with the stock ROM. Putting the wrong kernel is like using an iMac kernel on an Intel motherboard. It just won't boot.

jayjay1o1

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
I keep hearing about the M7, I must look into it.

As for the kernel: It's a custom one, and to be honest, you can't just slap on any kernel, it has to be compatible with the Stock ROM. I do have a custom ROM. In my opinion, it would be quite better in the long run, however, if you just want to keep it stock, then look for a custom kernel that works with the stock ROM. ClockWork Mod is a custom Recovery that is pretty decent, although WCX recovery is actually a lot more better. And stable. No betas. The CWM beta you're talking about is CWM Touch. The ability to use captive buttons and the touch screen to navigate.

I totally trailed off, you would have to see if there is a kernel that is compatible with the stock ROM. Putting the wrong kernel is like using an iMac kernel on an Intel motherboard. It just won't boot.

Lololol you guys are still on this in 2013? OperationA7X I haven't heard from you in a while! How have you been?

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Lololol you guys are still on this in 2013? OperationA7X I haven't heard from you in a while! How have you been?

Oh you know, modding, still enjoying my Vivid, refusing to get another type of phone, same ol', same ol'. What phone did you ever end up getting? It has been a while, my post count has grown since then! I'm currently hoping I can get some coding under my fingers so I can FINALLY build my own ROM for the Vivid...

Sent from my HTC Vivid Borked using Android Central Forums

Sammy4887

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi, can you please tell me from where you bought the extended battery and how many mAh is it?
Can my original battery be made efficient i have recently brought the phone and i'm fed up with its battery!!!:'(

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney