Display issues, wierd colorful pixel-noise AND phone unresponsive

toonboon

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes, after I wake up my phone from sleep the screen shows a wierd colorful pixely noise as shown in the picture, and it doesn't respond to anything besides the power button turning off the screen.

http://i.imgur.com/TrI3w.jpg

(Sorry for the bad quality, only camara besides my phone was this crappy old digital cam, but it gets the point across)

Sometimes it gets back to my normal lock screen after leaving it to be for a few seconds, but more often than not does it kinda 'lock up' in this mode with me unable to do anything with my phone. Sometimes pulling the battery and starting my phone works and will allow me to continue work/browsing as usual. Other times (right now) it goes back into the 'lock up' right away. Aand it just popped back to normal, this took around 5 minutes, give or take.

I know that when the screen locks up my music continues, for I have listened to music with the screen locked up. I am not sure if my alarm will continue to work as I have not tested it. I can also turn the ringtone volume up/down.

It seems to 'lock up' after long periods of inactivity as I have previously put my phone to sleep and woke it without the issue arising. This was whilst I was chatting. I have not been able to recreate the 'lock up' on demand, aside for just leaving it asleep for extended periods of time.

I hope there is a solution to this problem, and I'd preferably not wipe my contacts etc. I have no idea how I can keep my data through a reinstall, so if I'd have to reinstall then if someone could link me to a thread that explains how to keep data would be awesome.

The phone is a HTC Sensation, 8 years old. This is what it says in the 'about phone' tab.

Code:
Model number
HTC Sensation Z710e

Android version

Baseband version
11.65.3504.00U_11.19.3504.29_2

Kernel version
3.0.16-v1.30.2
SebastianFM#1

Build number
HyperNonSense v1.5 (3.32.401.5)

As you can tell, the ROM isn't the regular HTC Sense ROM, so that might cause issues. I am currently unsure whether the kernel is custom or not.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated! I hope I can fix this problem.

PS I'm sorry if this topic is a repost of any kinds, I've done a quick search for some terms that came to mind but couldn't find a thread that fit my problem.

Keefy

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Display issues, wierd colorful pixel-noise AND phone unrespon

I have exactly the same problem. I rooted my HTC Sensation several months ago using the guidelines on the XDA Developers site ([Guide] Root Official ICS ROM HBoot 1.27.000 Easely without S-Off - xda-developers) and the phone worked perfectly.

However, my usb socket broke a few weeks ago and was repaired by my service provider in the UK (O2) who at the same time flashed my rom. From the moment I got the phone back, I've been experiencing this problem - mostly when I wake in the morning and occasionally in mid-use. It would often flick back to the HTC main screen after a few minutes but now it seems to be stuck permanently on the multi-coloured screen.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

starrev

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
Re: Display issues, wierd colorful pixel-noise AND phone unrespon

I'm having same problem except now my display is only pixel noise and cannot get out of it. THink my display is shot. Going to take it to sprint store unless someone has another suggestion.

Phillip Taylor1

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Hi All

I have found that this issue can be fixed (not sure about permanently) by:
1. Removing the sim.
2. Restarting the phone. At this point the display should be working and indicating that there is no sim in the phone.
3. Allow a few minutes then shut the phone down, replace the sim and restart.

I did this a few hours ago and the phone has been working since. I thought the phone was dead, so I'm happy . I had performed a hard reset prior to discovering this, but I'm not sure this is required.

It's also possible that the gold contacts on the sim needed to be cleaned up a bit. I'm told you can do this with a pencil eraser.

I'll be ordering a new sim if it happens again.

I hope this helps revive a few phones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21