Oculus vs. Vive vs. PSVR

Rob Phillips

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I’ve used PSVR and loved it BUT I have zero experience with Oculus and Vive. As I’m trying to determine my next steps into the VR world a question comes to mind...

Not considering cost, who does VR the best? Why?

Okay, that’s technically two questions.

3...2...1...GO!

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
From what I have been reading I would say the HTC Vive because of the sensors and technology used...it´s simply better. But I own it so maybe I am being parcial about it ;)
Cheers

Rob Phillips

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
From what I have been reading I would say the HTC Vive because of the sensors and technology used...it´s simply better. But I own it so maybe I am being parcial about it
Cheers

Personal bias is perfectly acceptable.
I’m considering turning this into an investment because Vive or Oculus are going to require a new PC or Mac for me. All I have now is an older model MacBook Pro. As we discussed on iMore Apple hasn’t really gotten into the VR world yet.
So many decisions...So much money...

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Personal bias is perfectly acceptable.
I’m considering turning this into an investment because Vive or Oculus are going to require a new PC or Mac for me. All I have now is an older model MacBook Pro. As we discussed on iMore Apple hasn’t really gotten into the VR world yet.
So many decisions...So much money...
I understand. But I love you that part, the decision. Analysis, reading reviews, configuration a setup to buy and build. It's exciting.
But then again, I'm a bit of a geek ;)

Rob Phillips

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I understand. But I love you that part, the decision. Analysis, reading reviews, configuration a setup to buy and build. It's exciting.
But then again, I'm a bit of a geek ;)

I’m considering building a rig just for VR. It’s been ages since I actually built a PC though. I want to say it had an AMD Athlon K7 processor in it. It was a beast!

LtDarthWookie

Apr 9, 2018
Visit site
I have played both the PSVR and Vive. To me the Vive really had the superior Motion tracking and of course power as you can just build a better PC. But the PSVR is easier to set up and definitely the most comfortable VR hedaset I've tried.

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I’m considering building a rig just for VR. It’s been ages since I actually built a PC though. I want to say it had an AMD Athlon K7 processor in it. It was a beast!
Not the best of times to buy a graphic card since prices are inflated but it's a thrill to do the configuration of the parts. I don't do that since 2012, I still use a OCed 2500k CPU, benchmarks show that at 1440p resolution there is not much difference between a 8700k (6 generations later) and my CPU, particularly when overclocked. I just upgraded the graphic cards twice since then and added a better SSD.

Rob Phillips

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Not the best of times to buy a graphic card since prices are inflated but it's a thrill to do the configuration of the parts. I don't do that since 2012, I still use a OCed 2500k CPU, benchmarks show that at 1440p resolution there is not much difference between a 8700k (6 generations later) and my CPU, particularly when overclocked. I just upgraded the graphic cards twice since then and added a better SSD.

CPU upgrades have become as incremental as smartphone upgrades. I still use a 2013 MacBook Pro because the i5 processor isn’t a whole lot slower than the CPUs in the current generation.

LtDarthWookie

Apr 9, 2018
Visit site
Yep. Also I was genuinely impressed by the VR performance of the base PS4 not the pro. The motion controllers also worked very well. They weren't quite as good as the Vive, but for the money PSVR is definitely probably the easiest entry into VR aside from GearVR which is pretty limited (but great for Netflix when your spouse wants the TV).

Belle_Celeste

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
I have played both the PSVR and Vive. To me the Vive really had the superior Motion tracking and of course power as you can just build a better PC. But the PSVR is easier to set up and definitely the most comfortable VR hedaset I've tried.

Thank you for your insight! I haven't been able to figure out which headset to buy myself. It's a matter of "Do I want to go with the cheapest option (PS VR)" or, "If I'm already forking over x amount of money, for a little bit more, should I get a more superior headset (Vive)".

Which of the two do you find yourself using more often? Or have you just experienced both headsets (and not necessarily own them)?

LtDarthWookie

Apr 9, 2018
Visit site
I have just experienced both. However I'm looking towards getting a Vive. I really like the roomscale support it has and I'm pretty invested in the PC gaming ecosystem and already have a GTX1080, I would say dependent on the games you wanted to play and what you already had the PSVR is really not a bad way to get into VR and would probably be my choice if I didn't already have a PC that can run it. However come black Friday if they really lower the price on the PSVR I'll consider picking that up as well.