Custom Wallpaper Exact Dimensions Tested

MikeGeer

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
After much searching, I couldn't find this information. So I took some time and figured it out on my own.

This info is really only useful to you if you are CREATING your own wallpapers with photoshop, fireworks, etc.

for HTC Thunderbolt:

The wallpaper covers all SEVEN home screens. The EXACT size is 960x800. NOT 854, or even 804. I did use 798 and 802 and it did NOT crop, but my assumption is it is exactly 800.

each home screen is 480px wide (the screen resolution itself)

the middle home screen (lets call it #4) is centered obviously so spans 240px to 720px (width obviously)

now here is the interesting/confusing part. you can NOT see the far left and right of your wallpaper EVER. 60px on the left and right on NOT visible. note: if you go to your far left home screen (#1) and try to drag even further, you will get a glimpse of about 25 extra pixels. so the first 35px are completely unseen, and the next 25px only if you pull the end home screen further. same applies to the far right. with all of that said, each home screen starts every 60px. so 60, 120, 180, 240, 300, 360, and 420. if u can do math, you see the far right home screen (#7) ends at 900px. this is because you cant see the remaining 60px.

you can NOT just make your image 840x800 because that would be the wrong aspect ratio.

btw, all of these deminsions are +/- 2px. its hard to see within 2px. i think the screen may actually be 482px wide. it doesnt really matter. just create your 7 home screens starting at 60px and increment 60px.

although you cant see the first or last 60px by default, dont forget you can still peek about 25px into it, so dont just cut your images off there.

the notification/status bar covers the top 40px.

i have the curved bottom that has the triangle app button, "Phone", and the customize button. at the height of the curve it is roughly 85px high. keep that in mind for the bottoms of your pretty wallpapers.

the lock screen has the curved bar you have to drag down, its highest point is roughly 530px from the top (PC user obviously) and lowest point roughly 675px from the top.

hopefully having these exact dimensions we can create some REALLY intuitive, mind tricking, wallpapers using the cool scrolling and 7 home screen features, as well as the lock bar.

have fun my fellow photoshoppers :)

ive included the 960x800 test wallpaper i used

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Awesome, Thanks I have been wanting to play with this to get a different picture on each screen. Just haven't had the time. I'm gonna play with some and see how it works.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood