I am seriously considering this transition - albeit reluctantly. As much as I might want to, I just can't make myself pay $50+ more per month for our 4 family lines - and that with less data, no navigation, etc to get the Pre3 on Verizon or AT&T.

After fiddling around with the many android options in the Sprint store, it looks like there is very little I would not be able to replicate.

I think, perhaps, the biggest thing I will miss is the touchstone charger. I have one at home, one at work, and one mounted in my car at dashboard height. The car mount has been fantastic for navigation and music streaming (via bluetooth to my car radio) - no wires and I set it on the charger when I get in and grab it when I get out.

I have heard some other coworkers (in the past) complaining about how android handles contacts from various sources. Something about it attempting to sync data between cloud services like copying stuff from Facebook profiles into Google contacts. Is that correct and if so, can it be disabled?

I have a very strong preference for physical keyboards and I saw there were many options for android phones with keyboards. I don't mind the landscape orientation, so I should be fine there. Any recommendations for quality hardware, speed, etc of android phones on Sprint with a physical keyboard?

Thanks in advance,

t
    fred1955 likes this.
    07-13-2011 11:49 AM
    Well, like you I too am facing a dilemma. My Sprint contract ran out 2 months ago and am eligible for a $150 full upgrade. I had hoped I could easily upgrade to the new HP Pre3 but Sprint has not been forthcoming in any official capacity about this. I even wrote to several of their product managers, including CEO Dan Hesse. Sprint's non-commital response did not suggest any webOS devices nor launch dates in the near future. With all this uncertainty, I finally decided to research the best Android smartphone on Sprint for my personal and business needs and settled on the Photon by Motorola, scheduled to appear July 31st. I will miss webOS but expect to return to it as soon as Sprint releases a new webOS device in the not-to-distant future.

UPDATE: The Samsung Galaxy S2 has now captured my imagination. So, I hope Sprint launches it later this year, during Q3.
    terrygtx likes this.
    07-14-2011 08:28 AM
    I finally decided to research the best Android smartphone on Sprint for my personal and business needs and settled on the Photon by Motorola, scheduled to appear July 31st.
    Thanks for responding. I saw that phone in my own research - looks pretty sweet. I would also consider it except that a physical keyboard is critical for me. So I am currently leaning to the Samsung Epic 4G.

I still don't know how I will live without my touchstone chargers. But I did find a couple of threads where someone hacked there Epic (and and EVO) to work on a touchstone ...
    fred1955 likes this.
    07-14-2011 11:18 AM
    Thanks for responding. I saw that phone in my own research - looks pretty sweet. I would also consider it except that a physical keyboard is critical for me. So I am currently leaning to the Samsung Epic 4G.

I still don't know how I will live without my touchstone chargers. But I did find a couple of threads where someone hacked there Epic (and and EVO) to work on a touchstone ...
    Geez, I agree too. Eventually when I leave webOS I will miss my Touchstones like mad. So, I am now reviewing to see if the "Samsung Galaxy S2" and the "Motorola Photon" have Touchstone exhibition like experiences comparable to the Pre during charging.
    terrygtx likes this.
    07-15-2011 11:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD