we need to all get together on this one and build up some drivers and kernels for... lets say the evo 3d and similar phones. i really think this could be done. and i know there has to be other people out there that loved how webos functioned.
    08-19-2011 12:00 PM
    What is it about Web OS that made it so great? Would it be easier to just make a really nice launcher that simulated Web OS?
    08-19-2011 01:02 PM
    I don't know too much about building software, but I can tell you why I love webOS...It's simple, intuitive, and cards make multi-tasking unbelievably enjoyable (so much so that I am literally upset at the thought of possibly having to switch platforms in the future)...not to mention the notification system and gestures. I think that is a the reason why (imo) webOS users are the most loyal and passionate bunch out there.

webOs has never been given the chance to compete at the level it should, and I think there are some great people out there with the underdog mentallity that like the odds and will keep this alive at all costs. While I don't have the know how, I'd be happy to know where to send a check.
    csledge likes this.
    08-19-2011 01:14 PM
    The S3 Snapdragon model APQ8060 SOC in the HP Touchpad is virtually identical to the SOC's in the HTC Sensation, T-Mobile myTouch 4G Slide, and the HTC EVO 3D. The big problem getting a webOS 3.0 rom running on a S3 Snapdragon MSM8x60 based device would be the lack of cellular radio drivers for these chips. The HP Touchpad was never released with 3G or 4G connectivity and now it never will be.

The HP Pre 3 runs on a 1.4 ghz variation (MSM8655T) of the widely used 1.0 ghz S2 Snapdragon MSM8x55 SOC which has been used in loads of Sony, HTC, ect, ect, phones. The problem here is that the HP Pre 3 only runs webOS 2.2 so it's not the most recent version available. it was released only in Europe and then yesterday, (one day after it's European release), HP announced it was shutting down all webOS hardware production.

Good luck to you but it looks like a steep uphill climb to see this project come to fruition.
    08-19-2011 02:18 PM
    Ok so i dont know much about WebOS, but i tried to jump on the fire-sale Touchpad bandwagon (unfortunately no luck) and in the mean time did some basic research. With the latest news that WebOS is going to become open-source, i like the idea of some of the better features potentially being integrated in some custom version of android (CM9.1?). I dont know much about coding either but it seems it could theoretically be possible. As far as i understand both Android and WebOS use a Linux core/kernal? Maybe i'm way off the realms of possible here, and in any case i would expect this to take well over 6 months to come to fruition, but it sounds pretty awesome to me. All the goodness of ICS with a few extra features from WebOS sprinkled in the mix...

What do you guys think?

P.S. Full disclosure, i dont even own an Android phone yet but i'll be getting a GS2 come xmas and can't wait to join the ranks of awesomeness. I currently own a BB 9700 (which I'll probably keep purely for BBM).
    12-11-2011 03:11 AM
    What about putting it on Android Tablets?

Open WebOS anyone?
    09-11-2012 02:17 PM
    How about on an LG phone?

https://www.change.org/petitions/lg-...-and-tablets-2

Sign it if you want it! ;-)
    03-05-2013 01:19 AM
    LG bought WebOS, and their using it on Smart TVs....

Sent from my MZ604 using Android Central Forums
    03-10-2013 08:23 PM
    LuneOS, the port of Open webOS, is now available.

The alpha3 release, codenamed 'Affogato', is available on the following devices:
    Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7 (2012 wifi only), Nexus 4, HP TouchPad.

The Gnex and N7 will not be supported in future releases unless the team can find volunteers to maintain these builds. If you have the skills and interest, get in touch.

Forthcoming releases will be on a rolling monthly basis. The next is due in October.

There is a dedicated LuneOS forum on webosnation.com
    RumoredNow likes this.
    09-25-2014 12:41 PM
    LG bought WebOS, and their using it on Smart TVs....

Sent from my MZ604 using Android Central Forums
    10-06-2014 03:19 AM
    LG bought WebOS...
    Yep... Announced Feb 25, 2013.

...and their using it on Smart TVs....
    Yes... Unveiled Jan 07, 2014

Maybe I should have waited 11 more months or so to reply?
    11-25-2014 10:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD