HP goes Crazy Eddie, slashes TouchPad to $99

evilkefz

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
HP goes Crazy Eddie, slashes TouchPad to $99

If there was any uncertainty surrounding HP's intentions to exit the webOS hardware business, it has effectively been squashed by the computer maker's latest move. HP has decided to liquidate all remaining TouchPad tablet stock by cutting the price down to an astonishingly low $99. ...

Last edited by a moderator:

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Just remember that app developers may no longer support webOS apps. For instance if Facebook makes a website change, the webOS Facebook app might need to be updated.

robk84

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I also ordered one as well, for the price you simply can't go wrong. My burning question is this:

Has anyone heard rumblings at all of android being ported to this by the developer community?

jjeffcoat

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I have a friend at work who says it will be possible to root the touchpad and install Android on it.

(He already has a Nook that is rooted with Android installed on it).

Any merit to that?

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Yes there is a team working on it.

It wont be as easy as the nook cause it was already running android, BUT webOS runs off of the same type of linux kernel as android so im gonna go out on a limb and say it will happen. Especially now that teamwin members bought them.

Reactions: jjeffcoat

cyberdalek

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I have been deciding if I could justify a $500 tablet, then this happened. I bought 2 32GB TouchPad and am so happy I did. I love my Droid X and Android but the ease that I picked up WebOS was surprising. I have never used a WebOS device before this and I find the learning curve less was less than any Honeycomb tablet that I have played with. I will probably port Android when it comes and is stable mainly because the app selection sucks on WebOS. Until then I will enjoy flinging open windows off the screen.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand why everyone says it's so slow. It's faster than my Iconia, even before I put the 3.0.2 update on.

Sent from my Captivate

jlee91780

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Haven't got one, but continue to wonder why this thing is so slow when it is dual core like any tablet out there.
That's good to know, I'm all set to get one as soon as HP gets its stash from its warehouse.Hesitated first time and missed out because of some people's negativity about its future development. I don't even plan on trying to get Android on it because what's so great about Android, pretty similar to iOS and not all that for multi-tasking. If HP gets everyone one and it becomes 2nd best seller next to ipad, then I could totally see another company wanting to capitalize on this as HP already spent all that money on the start-up cost. Just wonder if selling out every touchpad makes it put a dent in the pie. In any case, HP determined the market price for a non-ipad tablet. People definitely want non-ipad tablets, just at a certain price.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2