Former WebOS Users Discussion Thread

DennisOS2

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I got a Touchpad back when the firesale started, and loaded CM9 ICS about a year ago. Recently I loaded webOS for the first time in a year to see when the last app was updated (sometime in August) and noticed that the normal Angry Birds app wasn't free anymore. It turns out sometime last summer Rovio noticed and changed it to a paid app.

Anyway, at least Preware had some updates, one nice was to change the user agent to iPad.

Like OS2, WebOS will never see significant use again. Too bad. So much potential, so little HP desire or competency.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Android Central Forums

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
So, as an ex WebOS gal, who jumped to the Photon (and is still cursing the lying ******** at Motorola) I'm looking at a new phone sometime soon. Curious if anyone is in the same boat, and what you guys are looking at.

DennisOS2

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
So, as an ex WebOS gal, who jumped to the Photon (and is still cursing the lying ******** at Motorola) I'm looking at a new phone sometime soon. Curious if anyone is in the same boat, and what you guys are looking at.

There are soooooo many good options out there. Unfortunately (for you) some are Moto's, but HTC and Nexus also have a ton. Good time for getting a new phone.

Sent from my HP Touchpad w/CM9 Tenderloin

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site

Well, as you can see I'm on the same boat. I think the Nexus 4 is a very good option. However, I'm waiting to see the Galaxy S4.

I will be able to upgrade in June or July, (not totally sure but anyway) if I stay with Sprint, and my contract is done in September if I decide to go prepay with T-Mo.

I recommend you wait and see what Samsung and others bring to the table this next few weeks or months, than make a decision.

Sent from my Photon 4G that Stupid Motorola will not upgrade to ICS or any other newer form of Android because they're a bunch of lying bastards (and deserve to go to hell!) using Android Central Forums

khazoury

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Need help, finally switched to the S3 from my wonderful Sprint Pre2 and very disappointed. I would like to have one program to access all my emails and one program to access all my calendars but I read android can't handle that. Webos did that easily and showed all the folders for each account. Anyone care to help?

And what's with all these ads? Should I have gone to iOS? Yuck

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I've had webos devices from the pre plus to pre 2 and pre3 still have my touchpad. Now I have a gs4 but i miss alot of what webos did.

The stock email app on the gs4 is ok. I imagine it is similar on the gs3.what I hate is that Gmail does not get push email in the stock app. Lame. Other than that it's fine. I use the Gmail app for Gmail and then stock app for all others. What are you looking for that the stock email app doesn't do? And what are you specifically looking for the calendar to do?

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I've had webos devices from the pre plus to pre 2 and pre3 still have my touchpad. Now I have a gs4 but i miss alot of what webos did.

The stock email app on the gs4 is ok. I imagine it is similar on the gs3.what I hate is that Gmail does not get push email in the stock app. Lame. Other than that it's fine. I use the Gmail app for Gmail and then stock app for all others. What are you looking for that the stock email app doesn't do? And what are you specifically looking for the calendar to do?

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but the native email app can have all your email accounts in it and there is an option to show them all as one account,, as for calenders,, put them all in one folder on home screen

Note 2,,ITS TRUE, SIZE IS EVERYTHING.

khazoury

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
got my emails to work, guess it'll have to do.

but what about calendars? Anybody know how to set up yahoo calendars? I only seem to be able to setup yahoo email, but not calendars. I google and exchange setup.

Devilsbane

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Been off my Pre for almost a year (after 3 years, the volume and power buttons were broken, the micro usb cable wouldn't seat properly... I charged with touchstone for nearly a year, and pieces of the case were falling away because of a few drops). I still miss my phone, I liked the size and shape and I LOVED the OS. It was great always knowing what apps I had running and I could page through them or swipe away. It really bothers me that android apps run in the background and you have little control over them. The control you do have entails going through application lists and force closing apps. With my pre, if I had my music app open then it would start playing over bluetooth when I got into my car. If I didn't have it open, silence. With android? Either way music starts playing when I hop into the car. I've had to go into bluetooth settings and disable media over bluetooth and enable it the times I want to listen. I also find it very annoying to have apps close that I wanted to come back to. Pre had it right with alerting you that memory was low and allowing you to decide which apps you could close.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
got my emails to work, guess it'll have to do.

but what about calendars? Anybody know how to set up yahoo calendars? I only seem to be able to setup yahoo email, but not calendars. I google and exchange setup.

I have the Galaxy S4, I still missed my beloved Palm Prē and WebOS.

Anyway, the phone's email app could work with all your emails, I just don't use it that way.

The calendar app on this phone has all my calendars and works great. 👍😃

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

TJs11thPre

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
hi all -

here's a recommendation for the webOS theme that applies to the Go Launcher EX. I put it on my Nex7, spent some time setting up my icons to display like webOS cards on the desktop, and recategorized folders in the app drawer. Now it resembles a baby Touchpad.

Good enough as all i use the tab for is playing Simpsons and Words/Hangin' with Friends anyway. I won't use it for the rest of the stuff.

I still really don't like how google's apps work at all. Two separate apps for gmail and other mail? Absolutely horrible 'hangouts' chat app that you must force-quit or miss texts while you're not online? Sure, JB 4.3 has some better gesture navigation thanks to webOS designers joining google, but it's still not true multi-tasking and still not nearly intuitive. After several months trying to get on board with Android, i still find the user experience completely frustrating. I'll stick with my Touchpad, thanks. And if ACL ever completes, such that I can play Android games within webOS on the TP, this Nex7 will promptly go on fleabay.

***EDIT*** 30 mins later...

how ironic i just read that the kit kat release today will include a hangouts update to combine sms and gchat. and some kind of improvements to the "recent apps" page to make it feel more like true multi-tasking. guess I'll have to update an' see.

seems they are working hard to catch up to what Palm had 4 years ago. keep at it, google. you're getting there.

Last edited:

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I know how you feel...
But I make do with multi window on my Galaxy S4, it's really great for multitasking. It only needs to work with all the apps! Not just a few!

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

bs03

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry to revive this old thread.

My husband finally found a phone that I would replace my Pre+ with. Now I need to find apps to replace my favorite webOS apps. Has anyone tried to compile a database? Is there a "best place to look"?

When I went from PalmOS to webOS I ran a number of things in Classic until new apps came along? That isn't a choice now.

sicembaylor

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry to revive this old thread.

My husband finally found a phone that I would replace my Pre+ with. Now I need to find apps to replace my favorite webOS apps. Has anyone tried to compile a database? Is there a "best place to look"?

When I went from PalmOS to webOS I ran a number of things in Classic until new apps came along? That isn't a choice now.

Specifically, what apps? I can't believe you've held onto the Pre+ for so long. I loved WebOS, and I really really wanted to love my Pre+ but the poor build quality drove me to Android and I haven't looked back since!