Former WebOS Users Discussion Thread

bs03

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Right now I'm looking for a replacement for ShoppingManager (which was a replacement for HandyShopper).
I also need to find:
a Memo app
Tasks
a simple text app, I love ScratchWordProcessor
something for music/playlists
I have tried 7 browsers and think that I like Dolphin best.
I also need to find a good mail app to handle my 5 main accts.
I haven't looked at calendars yet.
I also need to look at front ends because this one isn't great.
I think that I found a card keeper, file manager, timer, txting, screen dimmer, and recipe manager.

Of course there were apps that have Android releases; so they were easy. And I'm sure there are things that I haven't thought about yet.

Sent from my NEC-NE-201A1A using Tapatalk

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
8 months off of Pre...I chose the following apps cuz i find so many of the android non-stock apps really chaotic looking, require too much awkward inefficient navigation, too many screens, etc, so these are the ones i like best: (fwiw, i have moto x/mostly stock android).

-aCalendar is my fave of the calendar lot. (and Event Flow Cal widget pairs nicely imo)
-I'm using Rocket Music Player, it has the most decent interface, others I've tried, even well-liked ones, the interfaces have been downright awful. Rocket is clean, nice, swipey, and intuitive. (plenty of themes for dif. color options).
-I like Gtasks as my simple to do program. It's good looking with a logical, efficient, pleasant interface, without being over-stylized.
-(And If anyone can help me find a decent email client plmk. Would love something with a non-chaotic look. I only use gmail and yahoo).

For utilities:

I use adw launcher and it has a few gestures you can set (swipe up, swipe down, swipe up from lower bottom, etc) to launch stuff and i like some other things about it. The gestures are very convenient...as well all know.

App dialer is cool. It's a T9 app search, and it's a widget so it doesn't really have to launch before you can use it, it just sorta pops open and not in full screen.
If anyone knows anything like it that also brings up contacts that would be so helpful.

I very much like my Notifier Pro, your notifications come up in bars on the top or bottom and you can swipe them away. In stock android...i can't even remember, either they would dissapear and you'd have to reach to the top, pull down, then push back up, or they would ...can't remember, hated it.

Not surprisingly, i set mine to show up on the bottom. ; )

... *sigh*

and fwiw, Timely is the best alarm clock ever. : )

Last edited:

FishenFool

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
You might want to look at Digital Alarm Clock by Zabamobile. It is the closest in functionality to the Pre Timepiece app that I have found.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Right now I'm looking for a replacement for ShoppingManager (which was a replacement for HandyShopper).
I also need to find:
a Memo app
Tasks
a simple text app, I love ScratchWordProcessor
I moved to android three years ago and still haven't found these. Which I suppose means I don't need them. One issue for me was that my husband used an iPod, and I wanted a shared shopping list. Now that he's using android. I should look again.

something for music/playlists
I have tried 7 browsers and think that I like Dolphin best.
I've been liking rocket player. It is simple, reasonably flexible, and can use play lists I developed in iTunes on Mac. The google player drove me nuts because it always wanted to looking on the web.

I am also using dolphin, but haven't tried enough other browsers to really compare. Someone recommended it shortly after I went android, and I've been satisfied with it.

I also need to find a good mail app to handle my 5 main accts.
I am a big fan of k9. But I have several accounts, use various aliases on different mailing lists, and like to use POP for some of my accounts. K9 takes some work to configure, but once you do, it is quite flexible.

I really miss having multiple "cards" open for different emails, though. (Perhaps to search my mail for an answer I am writing in a separate card.) The "save as draft" feature works okay, but is much clunker than multiple cards. If you find something with that functionality, please let me know.

I haven't looked at calendars yet.
I am happy with business calendar pro. It's not gorgeous to look at, but the info is pretty legible, and i like that it's easy to copy an event.

I also need to look at front ends because this one isn't great.
I'm reasonably happy with android 4. I have a Moto X, which is close to stock android.
I think that I found a card keeper, file manager, timer, txting, screen dimmer, and recipe manager.

Of course there were apps that have Android releases; so they were easy. And I'm sure there are things that I haven't thought about yet.

Sent from my NEC-NE-201A1A using Tapatalk
what duke manager do like?

bs03

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
what duke manager do like?

I am assuming that you mean file manager.
I'm using ES File Explorer File Manager by ES APP Group. So far it has done what I've needed.
My husband likes ASTRO File Manager with Cloud by Metago.
I'm still trying to set up things and really learn Android. I didn't become too picky about my webOS file manager until I was messing with hidden files, partitions, etc.

As for some other apps.
I use "What's for Dinner?" for recipes. They have versions for all the platforms.
I like Stand Alone Inc.'s Crosswords. I've used it since my first Handspring.
I liked a bunch of Astraware's games on PalmOS and webOS but I am disappointed in their Android selection.
I used to use Docs-to-Go on PalmOS. I used OpenOffice and SmartOffice on webOS. I am kind of disappointed in all of them on Android, so I still have my eye out for an office suite.
I still need a basic writing program. I don't always use office for a simple letter/note/list. On PalmOS I had several. On webOS I think I tried each new one as they came out, but my favorite was Scratch Word Processor.
For right now I'm using AquaMailPro. I liked it best of the several I tried.
I started a separate thread about calendars. I found several that are OK but they all miss the ability to change what you are viewing quickly on the front.

I found a PalmOS emulator and I might try that. I still have HandyShopper and all of my Palm apks (Who am I kidding, I still have my Palms).

I got a NEC Terrain (not a common phone) and this is leading to problems with Google Play and some apps not behaving correctly because they don't seem to understand it. If you take a Pre and slide it open, that is what my phone looks like. Kind of like a long Blackberry or TungstenC. Which is the other problem, not everything plays well with the physical keyboard.

I am still taking suggestions for everything and I will update with my findings as well.

Thank you.

bs03

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your help so far.

I like Business Calendar best so far.

I am having a dilemma with a clock. Right now I am running Digital Alarm Clock. I realized my problem isn't the app. I am missing my Touchstone. I have a bunch of touchstones and my Pre has become my alarm clock because of it. So the app is fine it is my new phone set-up that is the problem.

Next up on my hit list is a dimming control. I have tried Filter and a few before temporarily settling on Dimmer by giraffine. What I really want is something like Brightness Unlinked. My new phone has a backlit physical keyboard, screen, and signal light. Just like on the Pre, it would be best to be able to change each value separately.

On a separate note, my husband said he was proud of me because he got an email sent from my new phone this morning. I didn't tell him that my version of multitasking today is running a variety of things on my Terrain, Pre, TouchPad, and Nexus7. I don't think that this is really how this is supposed to work.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I am using alarm clock plus, by binary tactics. I sprang for the ad-free version. I like that it lets me use music for alarms. It's more complicated than I need, though, and I have since found how to drop any mp3 into the alarm directory. But it had easy options for when to set alarms based on the day of the week and such, and it makes a decent clock.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry to revive this old thread.

My husband finally found a phone that I would replace my Pre+ with. Now I need to find apps to replace my favorite webOS apps. Has anyone tried to compile a database? Is there a "best place to look"?

When I went from PalmOS to webOS I ran a number of things in Classic until new apps came along? That isn't a choice now.

Also, check out "Switchr" app, it makes looking at "recent apps" so much better.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tails?id=mohammad.adib.switchr&token=XhdtMV1C

Just got into this today to replace using that detestable "recent apps" function that is native to android.

SH4lU2b9CL_C1H0Epf_Dr9rsH2k4UHK0REFkexvMOiokdb1CpV35ApuYSYm_BLfV_sw=h900

I chose 'Arc' on the side of my dominant hand and only added 'recent apps'. And check out adw launcher gestures.

Last edited:

bs03

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
So I have been getting very frustrated with my new Android phone. I'll skip the whole rant fest here.

So my question of the day is... Has anyone tried phem, the PalmOS emulator?

Thanks everyone for suggestions. Some things I have tried and some I am just bookmarking until my new SD card arrives. My last one self destructed and took out my phone's internal memory causing me to flash and restart.

I have gone back to using Kobo. I used Kobo. Then about 2 1/2 years ago I switched to Kindle. On my new phone the Kindle app seems to take up more space with the same books loaded. I haven't figured out why. On my Nexus7, the Kindle is smaller.

I got PalmNote by Andy Anderson for a basic writing app.

I am using Tom's Multi Timer by catfantom. It does what I need and I was tired of looking at timers.

For a lazy reason, I am using SeriesGuide by Uwe Trottmann and Key Ring by Mobestream Media. My husband had accounts with all our data already set up, so very little for me to do.

I am using the official Google Voice app because Android seems to be lacking in Google Voice options. I think that I had more on webOS. It seems OK.

I am using Dolphin Web Browser. It has a favorite function, add web page to launcher. They call it "send to desktop" but it is there.

I still need a shopping list but I am going to start a new thread about that.

Just a note about moving data. Google drive will now reformat data exported there. This has led to problems. I am also finding a lot of apps will not import all old data. I have data going way back in some of my apps (14yrs on average). I have had to get creative to load it. On the bright side, I am learning a lot about Android.

That's all for now.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
You ought to be able to use Android File Transfer to move files (without reformatting) from your regular computer to your android device over a USB cable. I have found it simple and reliable.

bs03

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I haven't tried that.
I have emailed them to myself and used my Box account.

The real problem is that so many apps on webOS and Android use Google Drive to backup or export data. It seems like most active apps have developers working around this. I have found at least a few Android apps suffering due to this and of course a lot of webOS apps are a problem now.

I am strong enough with webOS to pull my dbs and work with them. For one Android app, I found a workaround on XDAdevs. The other Android stuff I was looking to see if I liked it, so I didn't bother.

Mainly, I just wanted the warning out there because most people aren't aware.

frmorrison

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
The next version of Android, for now called "L" has a revamped recent apps function that almost looks exactly like the cards featured in webOS.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The next version of Android, for now called "L" has a revamped recent apps function that almost looks exactly like the cards featured in webOS.

...which they seem to have followed directly after Ubuntu for Devices and iOS in implementing graphically...

I'm becoming much more interested in Sailfish OS and their live covers. It's a 2D array of open apps "cards" on the home screen and no stacking... But the apps remain live and, so far as I know, only webOS offered that previously; all others having the apps hibernating when minimized. Further, in Sailfish, you can interact with the apps when in card form. Email, for instance, when minimized you can swipe left across the card to refresh the mailbox and the app stays in card form - swiping right across the card opens the app in compose new email.

I've been trying out the Alphas on Nexus 4. There has been a lot of progress there. Also the Hardware Adaptation Development Kit is now out and the porting to various Android handsets has now begun.

As a former webOS user, I'm pretty excited to see this develop. It has now supplanted Ubuntu for Devices as the OS I look forward to moving to as a daily driver. Entirely gesture driven. Sound familiar?

anon4935932

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hello former webOS users!

Just got my Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini over the weekend. I'd been using a Pre 3 for three years, and a Pre and Pixi before that going back to 2009 (and Palm Treo and PDAs before that going all the way back to 2001. It's a bit sad, but also reassuring to see familiar names here. I still think webOS is the superior OS (and I'm looking to keep my Pre 3 as a home wi-fi device, along with my TouchPad), but I'm sure you all know the reasons for moving on.

I got the S4 Mini because I like the smaller size. I have no quarrel with the hardware (though I miss the physical keyboard), but my first impressions of Android are mixed. It seems a bit clunkier than webOS...too much inconsistency between swipes, gestures, taps, and button pushes. I also think the easy multitasking of swiping between cards on webOS is far superior to Android multitasking and task/app switching. Who knows, maybe my opinions will change as I get to know Android better.

I'm posting to ask for advice in finding Android equivalents to many of the webOS apps I've used for so long. Forgive me if some of these are obvious and/or already on the phone (I wont be insulted if you say, "Didn't you see the app on your phone? It's standard!"). Here's a list of the webOS apps (with some parenthetical comments to help specify what I'm looking for):
  • Tasks
  • ClassicNote (I like the abilities to categorize and to password-protect some notes)
  • TapNote (I like posting quick text notes directly to Dropbox)
  • InterfaceLIFT (I found a couple of Android apps that access the Interface site. Looking for opinions on the best one)
  • Track My Weight (Just basic weight, with quick graph)
  • drPodder HB (vidcasts, video podcasts, or whatever they're called)
  • FeedReader
  • Mileage Monitor (Just basic car mileage)
  • Where's My Car?
  • UberRadio (alarm function, manually add stations)
  • MLB Scores and NHL Score (Just a quick check of scores and standings, no more)
  • Games: Backgammon, Solitaire, Freecell, Pyramid, Spider
  • System: Dr. Battery, Proxy Switch, Internalz, Wall Switch, Nodoze
I know that's a long list, but I'd appreciate any informed opinions! One thing we never had to worry about with webOS was being inundated by app choices! ;)
A couple of other final questions related to the Mini itself... I've seen mixed info on wireless charging. Can a Mini be adapted for wireless charging and/or use on a TouchStone? Also, I'd much appreciate advice on slim cases, covers, sleeves.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Superjudge

May 6, 2013
Visit site
What's amazing about webOS is that it seems other OS's are still playing catch up. Such a forward thinking OS and I will never buy another HP product as long as I live.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
One quick follow-up (sorry for asking so much)... Antivirus? Real concern? If so, recommendations?

Posted via Android Central App

For Android, YES. I prefer Lookout. Get the AV and look at additional plug-ins they have.

Anyone who says, naw you don't need AV just be careful; that person is whistling in the graveyard...

Gaurav

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Nice to see some old faces in this thread from old precentral days!

I really don't miss much about webos because most of the features have basically been added to andriod over time. I miss cards, but thats basically just about the only thing I think...