Former WebOS Users Discussion Thread

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,
I suspect there will be more and more WebOS users over the coming days, weeks and months. I thought I'd start a place for us to commiserate, share important things we've learned and offer tips for making the WebOS user more comfortable.

I have cross posted this to the Precentral forums.

Thanks,
Deesugar

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
A month in on my phone, and I couldn't be more comfortable with it. Spent many hours with CM9 on my TouchPad, and I don't think it's a fair comparisson. I still prefer webOS on my TouchPad, and will probably continue using it as I always have.

BMIC50

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
A month in on my phone, and I couldn't be more comfortable with it. Spent many hours with CM9 on my TouchPad, and I don't think it's a fair comparisson. I still prefer webOS on my TouchPad, and will probably continue using it as I always have.

Same here. If Android implements more of webOS, I wouldnt be upset at all!

DennisOS2

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I believe you have to think about this in two ways. First, I do agree that WebOS was far ahead of aOS. Even 4.2 (JB) won't have the power of WebOS. That besides the overall power, there are a lot of little conventions in WebOS that are so powerful yet simple ...... like how everything is configured.

However, developers (hard and soft) have embraced the openness of the Android platform and the result is a plethora of truly useful apps.

My wife and I both have TouchPads. Her's is at 3.0.2 (for some reason it will not upgrade above that). I've just moved mine to dual boot with CM9 11/11 Nightly w/camera patch. Mine works great with aOS and is very stable. There are financial apps I couldn't get for WebOS. My wife doesn't have a need to change ............ I love the change.

Now that WebOS is open source maybe we'll see further developments and that's great. However, as was said 15+ years ago during the Desktop wars ............ its not the OS but the apps that run on the OS that determines the platform's success. Will WebOS (with the great new APIs promised) ever attract application developers that will take advantage of those wonderful WebOS APIs? Unless it does WebOS will be just another historical footnote.

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Flash forward two months.....I have more Android apps that I've bought since I posted that, and I'm finding I'm starting to use the Android side a little more than I was then. I agree, where you have your apps, is where you'll spend your time. There will be no (new) developers developing for webOS until there's at least one product available for sale. The latest rumor is an LG smart TV... I don't find myself wanting a smart TV in the first place let alone a "new" player to the market..... As for the "great new APIs promised" would you care to remind me which ones were those again, or provide a link? :D They have done some pretty cool things with LunaCE, but most if not all is simply on the UI side of things. There still isn't a basic voice command action like Google Voice or Google Now. I even bought an app ($5...ya probably too much, but I was in the mindset of supporting what existing developers we had) that was supposed to be a webOS version of Shazam/Soundhound...but it took forever to even match a song, and then when it did, had very little extras to show for it.

Every once in awhile it gets brought up how Android Play Store is 99% full of garbage apps....and that may be so, depending on your point of view. Number of available Android applications - AppBrain shows 580,537 apps available with 23% being low quality. If we go by the 99% number as garbage, that still leaves 5,805 good quality of apps. Almost the same number of TOTAL webOS apps and it's safe to say that not all of those were quality..

I'm with you though. I love the change as well.....now that I've gone ahead and done it. :D

DennisOS2

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I stayed longer than I should have with WebOS. The change was actually because my wife and I had two ancient PrePluses neither of which worked (keyboards). She got the iPhone 5 I got the Razr Maxx HD. We love both phones, but got me thinking about my TP. Figured........ What the hell; let's see what the old girl (not my wife) can do. CM9 is rock solid and now the camera works.

And about those WebOS APIs ......... that's what HP and that community is promising:) I'm old and can't hold my breath for very long ;-)

Sent from my aOS TP.

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I've never used the camera aside from Skype, which I barely use as it is. I'm undecided if I like CM10 over CM9....not a whole lot of difference, imo. Still better than CM7. As far as those APIs are concerned, now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure these (mysterious) APIs were "promised" when we went from 1.4.5 to 2.0. I stopped holding my breath a long time ago.

DennisOS2

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
The API carrots were dangled a bit too long. In this fast moving market you can't just plan for the launch, but 3 revisions/versions down the road. Palm did a wonderful job with the OS and then forgot about keeping it moving ahead.

Sent from my CM9 TP

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I used my beloved Palm Prē (got it on launch day) until September 17 2011, that day I got my Motorola Photon. I still try doing gestures on the darn thing at least 3 times a day :D

But I still get my webOS fix a few times a week since my wife and I each have a PalmPad.

I don't think I will ever install anything else on my PalmPad, but who knows.

Now I'm just trying to figure what device will make it my way or if I should leave Sprint and go prepaid with a Nexus device.

Sent from my Photon 4G that Stupid Motorola will not upgrade to ICS or any other newer form of Android because they're a bunch of lying bastards (and deserve to go to hell!) using Android Central Forums

spartca

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
One of the things I like the most about webOS is its built-in Messaging app that consolidates all SMS and IM from Gtalk, YIM, etc. into one app.

Now that I'm transitioning to Android, I'm wondering if there is any good equivalent? The stock apps seem to separate SMS and IM into two or more applications.

Thanks!

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Yea...unfortunately there's nothing even close to that anywhere else!

Stupid #:4%_#+:$:b4#$;$@&( Leo Idiotheker and HP!!!! IDIOTS!!! :mad:

Sent from my Photon 4G that Stupid Motorola will not upgrade to ICS or any other newer form of Android because they're a bunch of lying bastards (and deserve to go to hell!) using Android Central Forums

DennisOS2

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
One of the things I like the most about webOS is its built-in Messaging app that consolidates all SMS and IM from Gtalk, YIM, etc. into one app.

Now that I'm transitioning to Android, I'm wondering if there is any good equivalent? The stock apps seem to separate SMS and IM into two or more applications.

Thanks!

Gotta believe there is or will be an app that consolidates messages that meets your needs.

Dennis

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site

Thanks!

Don't think it includes sms but it includes everything else . check out im+

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I was a pre owner back in the day until the first evo came out . That's when i saw the crash and burn on the horizon and jumped ship . so glad i did. I really still don't see the continued fascination with webos, but that just me. Happily married to my brand new note 2 at the moment.

DennisOS2

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I was a pre owner back in the day until the first evo came out . That's when i saw the crash and burn on the horizon and jumped ship . so glad i did. I really still don't see the continued fascination with webos, but that just me. Happily married to my brand new note 2 at the moment.

I believe the conventions they employed for settings/configurations and for general data entry were far ahead of Apple or Android. Their multitasking model was ahead of everyone as well. Doesn't matter if you don't keep it moving ahead or have support of developers.

Dennis

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I used my beloved Palm Prē (got it on launch day) until September 17 2011, that day I got my Motorola Photon. I still try doing gestures on the darn thing at least 3 times a day :D

But I still get my webOS fix a few times a week since my wife and I each have a PalmPad.

I don't think I will ever install anything else on my PalmPad, but who knows.

Now I'm just trying to figure what device will make it my way or if I should leave Sprint and go prepaid with a Nexus device.

PalmPad.....lol. I'll tell you aside from a couple of GB, you have nothing to lose installing Android on your TouchPad......oh and maybe 20 minutes of your time. Although not all apps are optimized for tablets, there's some that are nice to play around with. As for your signature...take matters into your own hands if you want ICS, or JB for that matter on your device. Just make sure you read as much as you can, watch a YouTube video or 3 and root it. Problem solved. :) ....if you're worried about warranty issues, you can always unroot it and reset the flash counter.

DennisOS2

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
PalmPad.....lol. I'll tell you aside from a couple of GB, you have nothing to lose installing Android on your TouchPad......oh and maybe 20 minutes of your time. Although not all apps are optimized for tablets, there's some that are nice to play around with. As for your signature...take matters into your own hands if you want ICS, or JB for that matter on your device. Just make sure you read as much as you can, watch a YouTube video or 3 and root it. Problem solved. :) ....if you're worried about warranty issues, you can always unroot it and reset the flash counter.

Heartily agree. Big fan of WebOS for its potential, but not its current state of development. A week of CM9 on my TP and I never looked back (booted webos). I actually use the TP a lot now. It's like having a new tablet. Just wish I had the 32g version. With all I've loaded on now there isn't much space for books a music.

Dennis

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I am a former pre owner. At the time I loved my pre. At the moment I sporting a galaxy note 2 and it is by far the best device I have ever had. Got 17 hours out of my battery today with the screen being on for 10 of them hours.

Note 2, it's true, ,size is everything!

frmorrison

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I got a Touchpad back when the firesale started, and loaded CM9 ICS about a year ago. Recently I loaded webOS for the first time in a year to see when the last app was updated (sometime in August) and noticed that the normal Angry Birds app wasn't free anymore. It turns out sometime last summer Rovio noticed and changed it to a paid app.

Anyway, at least Preware had some updates, one nice was to change the user agent to iPad.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SandiR