For those who switched from the Pre

solo1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
HA HA HA HA ... This phone is pure sexiness ... as we all are saying ... We loved the WebOS ... but hated the hardware ... Our Ideal phone would be the EVO form factor with the WebOS and App Market behind it ... Needless to say I too find myself swiping things that just wont move ... Its funny as hell to be ... It will get some used to but the EVO is a godsend for us PRE-Vious owners ... We will NEVER look back .:p

dmenglert

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
My EVO is being shipped to me on Monday, I did go to the Sprint store to play with the demo units, and like most people said its fast, the screen is bright and clear. I too found myself trying swipe up and swipe left, however just after 10 minutes I knew I made the right decision.

One thing i didn't try and I hope people can comment on, While there are some User interface things i will miss from my Pre, the thing that bugged me the most was how long it took to boot up, it took longer than my windows PC's, How fast does the EVO boot up?

ZDriver

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
What are your thoughts about the Evo compared to the Pre now that you have switched? I'm looking to make the switch next week sometime.

After having the Pre for 1 year i can now honestly say i have a REAL phone, the Palm Pre just SUCKS! I wouldnt have one now if it were free, and i dont miss kiddie webOS AT ALL!! The ONLY thing i can honestly say i miss is the touchstone charger.

ZDriver

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
this phone is fast. i love the app market, i love the screen size..i heart the kickstand!!!!!!!!!!!.... i'm going to root this badboy by the end of the day so that i can get the screen capture app working. but im very happy with my EVO! i feel bad tho for the PDF over at precentral.com they really don't know what they're missing out on.

Screen capture app is already working its called ShootMe and its in the market.

boston_ant

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Well, my Evo is refusing to activate. The Sprint store reps didn't even know what to do. They said to just wait it out. So in the meantime I've done the things I can on the phone without being able to connect to the internet or get a service bar. I've tried the camera, played a game, messed with the wallpapers, and settings. Already, I'm beginning to lose interest in my Pre. I actually have them sitting side by side right now... I have no idea how I ever used a phone with a screen that small compared to the Evo's. I still love my Pre and am going to keep it as a back up, but it's all Evo from here on out.

ischmidt

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Even with Sense papering over some of the more obvious cracks, Android's user experience is brittle and primitive compared to the smooth just-works-ness of WebOS and it's gestures. It's like going back to Windows 3.1 from 7. I expect that to improve rapidly starting with 2.3 now that Google has hired Palm's UI design lead though.

That out of the way, the EVO itself is amazing and a clear upgrade from the Pre in almost all other respects. Great screen, super-fast performance and scrolling, and even with just 3G web pages load at near-desktop speeds. The size is skirting the edge of being uncomfortable to hold on voice calls (any larger phone would be, I think), but it ultimately works out, and the kickstand is a great idea that works very well.

It's a logical upgrade for Pre owners, although you might want to play with a demo unit before committing your cash.

Jordus

Banned
May 5, 2010
Visit site
Pre? LOL

What a complete pile of junk compared to the Evo.

I finally have build quality, features, and a RESPONSIVE OS. Thats all i need.

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
If everyone misses swipes and the cards- how come someone can't come up with a "task switching" app that emulates that?

I hated the gesture area because it was slow to register- a back and forward button or D pad would have been much faster in response. My favorite action was press the button- go to card mode and move from card to card or close cards. But the "Too many cards open" error sucked.

If I had a verizon Pre Plus on the day the SPRINT pre launched on sprint's network (free hotspot- enough ram to have 50 apps open simultaneously- full exchange support from day one) my user experience may have been less tarnished... but I feel like I've been beta testing the pre for Palm for 12 months- and I have a broken microusb door held on with scotch tape... and this is my 3rd or was it 4th? replacement phone since launch!?

I'm so looking forward to the evo later today it's not funny. I'm sure I will miss the touchstone and app switching- and having a pocketable phone vs. a holster monkey (sorry but if you pocket the EVO beast- you've got some BIG PANTS.) but it's worth the trade off.

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I have an INTENSE DESIRE to want to close apps when I am done with them. This is the only thing that is driving me a bit CrAZy!!

i:Di

I don't want to install a task killer per the experts but I had Google Earth open and running, I was done and just really really wanted to close it. i:)i

It will take some adjustment to let Android handle it all.

Other than that I think all my apps etc... have equivalents so I should be good to go! i:)i

thatwilsonguy

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
When I got WebOS patched and overclocked, I really liked it. The problem is that I always wanted a iphone like device and that is what the EVO is. Not going to knock WebOS, can't wait for a tablet.

Tyler Durden

May 14, 2010
Visit site
after playing with the EVO all day, I just picked up my Pre to do a full erase before I sell it... well...........
I can't believe how small it really is!
I couldn't believe how I got along with that tiny little screen for the last year!

I'm LOVING my new EVO!
the size is GREAT!
so far, the battery life seems to be better that the Pre..
the battery was showing an almost full charge when i got it this morning, I have been playing with it for most of the day and it was showing about half when I put it on the charger a little while ago.

Paterick

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
How is text messaging on the Evo? I really like the Messaging app on the Pre. Is it better or worse? I know you can install different apps for messaging, but I would like to know how the standard app compares.

Also, how is the Evo's signal strength compared to the Pre? Do you notice better or worse signal?

Thanks for all the comments. :)

Last edited:

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The apps are just so much more polished. Not necessarily in functionality as apps on the Pre worked fine, but just the look and the feel. The best analogy is the Pre apps are like a picture done crayon and the EVO is is the same picture printed on a laser printer.

The voice command (something I sorely missed even over the Instict) is pretty spot on. Text to speech is...tricky. You have to speak at a single cadence otherwise it thinks your finished and stops.

PDFs actually open.

The camera is pretty impressive as it allows manual settings and autofocus opposed to "you get what you get."

Settings galore.

Flash!

Pretty much anything missing from the Pre is here and nicely done. The UI can be a bit cavernous, but I imagine that will get better in time. Just a great device.

akarol

May 31, 2010
Visit site
There are tons of FREE task managers that give you full control over which apps you want to leave open, or auto-kill when leaving them, or when turning the screen off, etc, etc etc. Look at the market.

akarol

May 31, 2010
Visit site
The apps are just so much more polished. Not necessarily in functionality as apps on the Pre worked fine, but just the look and the feel. The best analogy is the Pre apps are like a picture done crayon and the EVO is is the same picture printed on a laser printer.

The voice command (something I sorely missed even over the Instict) is pretty spot on. Text to speech is...tricky. You have to speak at a single cadence otherwise it thinks your finished and stops.

PDFs actually open.

The camera is pretty impressive as it allows manual settings and autofocus opposed to "you get what you get."

Settings galore.

Flash!

Pretty much anything missing from the Pre is here and nicely done. The UI can be a bit cavernous, but I imagine that will get better in time. Just a great device.

Don't forget that Palm's UI designer defected over to Google recently. The future is going to be bright for Android. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance