WebOS 2.0 - Palm is BACK baby!

taharka

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
That's what I thought with webOS 1.0. It didn't pan out. Though I likely won't go back in the short term, I hope they do better this time. The world needs competition.

nullr

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
Trying to get devkit but they pretty much locked down after the leak. I love palm but they wont take off until they release more hardware. Its a good update but even after it gets released it still takes carriers a while to push out the customized updates. If you compare it to android its better in many ways but lacks the user base to push development. Until they begin releasing more devices to push up the market share it wont happen. Also flash was promised for second half and its been a year since adobe demonstrated them using it on a pre (vids on youtube). They also need to open up mic/cam api. If it was not for webos internals and the 1+ ghz overclock and the insane amount of customization and things you could do the phone would be boring.

MANdroid5000

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Wait. Isn't the UI designer of web os now working for the Android Team?

Yep. He can give Android prettier icons, but making Android as functionally elegant as webOS would take a major paradigm shift that I don't think he could pull off...even more so without getting sued by HPalm...

Still, since I'll probably have no choice but to use Android eventually as it becomes the Windows of smartphones, I do hope he proves me wrong!

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Remind me again what's so great about webOS? I got a Pre on launch day, tried to love it for about a half a year, then the Evo was introduced at CES, got the Evo on launch day....absolutely love it and Android! Just touching my old Pre or having to look at that tiny screen makes me want to wash my hands afterwards immediately.

I mean the card system is a great idea, but the hardware, especially the Sprint version, just couldn't handle it. Play a game without rebooting the phone for 2 minutes? Forget it! At first I liked the notification area on the pre, but I like the one on Android just as well, if not even better.

I am sure new hardware will make webOS better, especially with version 2 running on it, but if the leaked specs on the Pre 2 are true....who the hell is gonna buy that thing? Same tiny screen, same low resolution, in a market flooded with killer Android devices, the iPhone, and now a flood of Windows Phone 7 devices coming, Palm doesn't stand a chance, they just don't. They got a bunch of good press after CES when the Pre was introduced, but then made one mistake after another, combine that with crappy hardware, hardly any apps, a shaky OS that needed a patch after almost every update, and you can see that consumer confidence, save for the die hard fans, in this company and line of phones, is almost non existant.

I am sticking with Android. WP7 looks nice, but I won't even consider an WP7 until next gen hardware comes out. While WP7 looks to run nice and smooth, it's basically running on current Evo hardware, maybe a little faster.

Either way, for as smartphone fans, the good times are just getting better and better!

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Remind me again what's so great about webOS? I got a Pre on launch day, tried to love it for about a half a year, then the Evo was introduced at CES, got the Evo on launch day....absolutely love it and Android! Just touching my old Pre or having to look at that tiny screen makes me want to wash my hands afterwards immediately.

I mean the card system is a great idea, but the hardware, especially the Sprint version, just couldn't handle it. Play a game without rebooting the phone for 2 minutes? Forget it! At first I liked the notification area on the pre, but I like the one on Android just as well, if not even better.

I am sure new hardware will make webOS better, especially with version 2 running on it, but if the leaked specs on the Pre 2 are true....who the hell is gonna buy that thing? Same tiny screen, same low resolution, in a market flooded with killer Android devices, the iPhone, and now a flood of Windows Phone 7 devices coming, Palm doesn't stand a chance, they just don't. They got a bunch of good press after CES when the Pre was introduced, but then made one mistake after another, combine that with crappy hardware, hardly any apps, a shaky OS that needed a patch after almost every update, and you can see that consumer confidence, save for the die hard fans, in this company and line of phones, is almost non existant.

I am sticking with Android. WP7 looks nice, but I won't even consider an WP7 until next gen hardware comes out. While WP7 looks to run nice and smooth, it's basically running on current Evo hardware, maybe a little faster.

Either way, for as smartphone fans, the good times are just getting better and better!

wow. you really changed your tune from 9 months ago.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
One thing about this whole new Palm (under HP's ownership) that i just don't get is why would they release the new webOS 2.0 on an update palm pre. The pre was not a great device, hardware-wise. My sister has the palm pre plus and it is made out of really shiny plastic. With all the hardware that HP could contribute to the new WebOS 2.0 devices, why not create a flagship or somthing? Somthing that makes your jaw drop at the sight of it.

I am personally not a fan of WebOS based on time to time use of my sister pre plus. My opinion is obviously subjective since i own android and never owned palm but i just can't get over how there is potential for palm but it seems like it is all a half hearted attempt to get out there in the public eye

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
wow. you really changed your tune from 9 months ago.

I did...like I said, I tried to love the little critter for 6 months, then CES and the introduction of the Evo came around, and that's all it took.

But even the Evo isn't enough for me yet. I need more power! I saw the Epic Citadel tech demo running on my friends iPhone 4, and damn that looks good. Can't wait to get some more serious hardware seeing how the gaming market is really stepping it up on Android.

So, I am sticking with Android, but I am a one year per phone person, lets see what Sprint's got coming next!

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
This is the point blank case..Webos is a far superior OS than Android or IOS..This has been pointed out by many experts. The hardware is an epic fail. Can't understand for the life of me why they would send out 2.0 with the same pathetic hardware.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
This is the point blank case..Webos is a far superior OS than Android or IOS..This has been pointed out by many experts. The hardware is an epic fail. Can't understand for the life of me why they would send out 2.0 with the same pathetic hardware.

The funny part about webOS is it's name....the web indicated the idea of making apps easy to program so that anyone that knows common web languages can write an app. The problem with that was that all those apps pretty much sucked and couldn't hold the candle to the apps produced for iOS and now also Android. Yes, it was easy to create stuff like conversion apps and things like that, but for the good apps, Palm had to go back on their strategy and come up with the Plug In developer kit or whatever it was called so that there would be cool games on the platform, not just minesweeper type stuff. So, fail #1 was that apps written without the Plug In sucked, and fail #2 was that noone cared, the "flood gates" never opened and the flood of apps never came.

As far as webOS being superior in other ways, well, I guess it looks ok, and it is fairly easy to use once you get the hang of it, but really, its not revolutionary in any way as far as the UI is concerned. Everyone loves the multitasking on it, until you get the TMC error which was a very frequent occurrence on the Sprint Pre, trust me, I know from personal experience. And the saving grace, the cure for boring, crappy apps, the Plug In thingy that let us have great Gameloft games, well, it was the major cause for the TMC. I love being able to jump from one game to the next on my Evo without having to reboot for 2 minutes every time. I love not having to reboot my Evo on a daily basis because the phone got sluggish, and then having to be careful about not using too many apps because webOS was too stupid to do it's housekeeping and give the phone what little memory it has back.

I don't care what the "Experts" said about webOS, technically, in theory, it's a great OS, but practically, it was PITA to live with every day. Yeah, the hardware is partially to blame for the poor performance, but you also have to blame webOS itself for not taking advantage of all the hardware. The cpu/gpu in the Pre were no slouch and really were right about the same as what was in the original Droid, however, the Droid was and still is a very capable and fast device that wasn't hindered by its OS.

Mercule

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
One thing about this whole new Palm (under HP's ownership) that i just don't get is why would they release the new webOS 2.0 on an update palm pre. The pre was not a great device, hardware-wise. My sister has the palm pre plus and it is made out of really shiny plastic. With all the hardware that HP could contribute to the new WebOS 2.0 devices, why not create a flagship or somthing? Somthing that makes your jaw drop at the sight of it.
Agreed. I switched to the Epic for hardware, not software, reasons. If Palm put out a webOS device with specs comparable to the Epic, I'd switch back in a heartbeat.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. I switched to the Epic for hardware, not software, reasons. If Palm put out a webOS device with specs comparable to the Epic, I'd switch back in a heartbeat.

But wouldn't you feel like you're using the step child of the smart phone world? The one no one really cares about? The one where the apps are still severely lacking and new developers are hard to find, and the one that major developers seem to shy away from? Hardware up to current Android standards is nice, and you will no doubt like version 2.0 of webOS, but what good is it without popular apps? You'll always look in envy at your peers Android and iPhone phones. I personally like Googles deep pockets and support from port developers and hardware manufacturers alike. Google is working on Android at a break neck pace.

Palm HP have a lot of catching up to do, I for one will not be switching back any time soon.