If WebOS 2.0 launched with hardware like the Evo would you have switched?

Would better hardware make you switch to webos 2.0?

• Total voters

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
So WebOS 2.0 is launching...on some pretty out-dated hardware. Would better hardware have made a difference?

i.e.

Bigger screen
front-facing camera
720p, auto-focus, zoom
HDMI-out
better battery life
B/G/N-wifi

fonefanatic

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I really like WebOS and would seriously consider switching back from my Evo if they brought out some better hardware! Something like the Evo with WebOS would make a tough decision for me (If it were on Sprint). I do not understand why Palm/HP has not realized this? There is a large number of people that like WebOS but cannot stand the hardware that it is on.

dg417

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
I purchased my Evo yesterday. If Palm announced Evo like hardware I would probably stay with WebOS. At this point I can't imagine going back to a small 3.1" screen.

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I would've done this back in Jun when the Evo launched and the Pre 2 should've been due because back then an Android device wasn't on my radar until word of the Evo came out and no new Pre.

So now everything is reversed for me with a new Pre/Webos device not being on my Radar and a Evo 2 is because i'm now comfortable with android/apps and I can't go back to that tiny keyboard and screen that was killing my eyes.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I purchased my Evo yesterday. If Palm announced Evo like hardware I would probably stay with WebOS. At this point I can't imagine going back to a small 3.1" screen.

I agree. I don't get this at all. HP is making a HUGE mistake by making the WebOS 2.0 flagship device this weak, 3.1" screen device. Plus about 60% of all WebOS users are on Sprint. I think they're going to lose users.

stashu11

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I love Webos, but the screen is too small and the camera sucks (by today's standards). Even the new one will only have a small flash for it.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Evo like hardware? Perhaps, but I would still like an app store. If devs would start pushing WebOS apps, than most likely! I heard WebOS is COMPLETELY open source.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Evo like hardware? Perhaps, but I would still like an app store. If devs would start pushing WebOS apps, than most likely! I heard WebOS is COMPLETELY open source.

No, it's not.

A fair amount of it is open source which you can find here Open Source Packages - opensource.palm.com - Palm

The vast majority of it is the stuff you'd see in any Linux distro. There are also some applications written in javascript/html/css, so by nature they're "open source." But there are biig pieces of software that are VERY important to running the phone on each network, as well as with GPS, etc that is closed source.

DarkS3ct0r

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Oh yes, if the Pre 2 had better hardware there's no doubt I would stay with palm/HP.
I was REALLY disappointed with all the announcements the other day.
Pretty much sealed the deal for me switching to Android this Christmas.

webOS is an amazing OS, but it's still not up to par with other OS's
They're lacking so much. IMO It could be a ton better than what it is now.

Palm-a-PREciation

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
If WebOS had a screen like the Evo or Epic (in size and resolution), AND had apps like Barcode Scanner, Shazam, Vlingo, etc, and had a better keyboard (physical or virtual), then sure, I'd stick with WebOs....but I'm not so loyal to stick with Palm until they catch up, I'll go with whatever phone is the best phone for me at the time. At this point in time, I think WebOS has a LOT of catching up to do!!! I don't think the Palm Pre2 is going to do it either.

I'm looking at getting an Epic in a few weeks, but in a year when I'm elgible for an upgrade, if Palm has the best phone then, I'll switch back to them.

Last edited:

eric.atx

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
No. I would not go to WebOS because the biggest reason I came to android was the apps. Then the phone hardware came into play for me. I came from RIM and the apps sucked!

ilongbored

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
No. I would not go to WebOS because the biggest reason I came to android was the apps. Then the phone hardware came into play for me. I came from RIM and the apps sucked!

If hardware was better and more appealing, developers would come quickly. You need one to get the other.

jamex

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I would switch in a heart beat. The email and calendar are amazing on webos but blows on android. Two of the most important things for me on a smartphone. Also seeing exactly what I am doing on multiple apps was a delite. It is a chore to be holding down the home button whenever I need to switch so basicaly I was able to do what I needed much faster on webos. Also I think the web browser on webos rendered pages a lot better. I get a lot of issues in menus on android but they worked perfect on webos.

It is really a shame that their nex deice is another Pre but I think HP will have something more appealing next year.

bnob99

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I had a pre for about a week and then switched to Android. That was definitely the right decision. Looking at the new version of webos, it just doesn't do anything for me. The whole stacking of cards has no appeal to me. The customization of Android blows everything else out of the water.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
If webOS had the apps I would switch for sure. Heck I probably woulda stayed if they had the apps. I love the OS. If the rumors are true and they come out with 6 deviced next year and one of them is awesome then I'll have to reevaluate where I'm at smartphone wise.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37