webOS or android?

robdmau

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
thinking about getting out of winmo phone and getting it a newer smart phone. So what does android do the webOS does not?

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Functional hardware. Enough said. Oh and the updates don't cripple the phone useless until they send out another update a couple days later like Palm. You'll see a lot of people in this particular forum have switched from Palm to Hero, myself included. I haven't had to call Sprint since switching phones, and I'm happy with my hero, even if webos now has cool expensive games.

robdmau

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
from what I've read here, there are 3 or 4 versions out on different phones. Some say must have 2.0, but this doesn't have 2.0 does it? From what I've seen on the palm blogs, it's running great now and almost 1300 apps... I see a few complaints here about 2.0 being pushed back... Isn't there a 2.1 out? Why just to 2.0?

Functional hardware. Enough said. Oh and the updates don't cripple the phone useless until they send out another update a couple days later like Palm. You'll see a lot of people in this particular forum have switched from Palm to Hero, myself included. I haven't had to call Sprint since switching phones, and I'm happy with my hero, even if webos now has cool expensive games.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Don't believe that post about it being pushed back. It has always been the first half of 2010, and people come to thing, oh, that means January... then February. It'll come when its ready and all the bugs are worked out. Reguardless:
There is no Palm update that can fix the Oreo effect of the Palm Pre, nor the lack of memory. I can't even begin to tell you of my frustrations with "Too Many Cards Open" when I only had 2 cards open. That can't be fixed with software, it was fixed with hardware, and verizon got it. The Pre Plus is too new to determine if they got to the bottom of the screen cracking, dead pixels, oreo effect slider (most annoying), and horrendous battery life, to the point where you can't go anywhere without a car charger. I had a dead battery by 5pm half the time and I didn't even use the phone! They lost ALL of my contacts. Every last one of them. That was the last straw. 3 months later, I got a call from Palm about my contacts and a possible fix, after my incident was pushed to Level 3 support. Did it fix the problem? I dunno, I already had my Hero. But the last time they called, I spent 2 hours on another phone with them only to tell them after the restore, I only had 3 numbers, 2 sprint and emergency services. Trust me, Palm is not worth the Hassle. The Hero multitasks just fine, if you know how to do so. Plenty of info on multi-tasking and I recently put out a few posts on proper ways to close programs. Its been very good to me. My stress has come way down, and I like that.

robdmau

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
too many cards was fixed with the latest update from what I see. Saw a video of a guy testing the VZ one and with sprints got 13 open... He said his phone was hacked to heck too... I got 23 open at the sprint store the other day...

Don't believe that post about it being pushed back. It has always been the first half of 2010, and people come to thing, oh, that means January... then February. It'll come when its ready and all the bugs are worked out. Reguardless:
There is no Palm update that can fix the Oreo effect of the Palm Pre, nor the lack of memory. I can't even begin to tell you of my frustrations with "Too Many Cards Open" when I only had 2 cards open. That can't be fixed with software, it was fixed with hardware, and verizon got it. The Pre Plus is too new to determine if they got to the bottom of the screen cracking, dead pixels, oreo effect slider (most annoying), and horrendous battery life, to the point where you can't go anywhere without a car charger. I had a dead battery by 5pm half the time and I didn't even use the phone! They lost ALL of my contacts. Every last one of them. That was the last straw. 3 months later, I got a call from Palm about my contacts and a possible fix, after my incident was pushed to Level 3 support. Did it fix the problem? I dunno, I already had my Hero. But the last time they called, I spent 2 hours on another phone with them only to tell them after the restore, I only had 3 numbers, 2 sprint and emergency services. Trust me, Palm is not worth the Hassle. The Hero multitasks just fine, if you know how to do so. Plenty of info on multi-tasking and I recently put out a few posts on proper ways to close programs. Its been very good to me. My stress has come way down, and I like that.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
too many cards was fixed with the latest update from what I see. Saw a video of a guy testing the VZ one and with sprints got 13 open... He said his phone was hacked to heck too... I got 23 open at the sprint store the other day...

Still, do you want to go through 5 of them in the next 4 months? I did, biggest hassel ever. btw, its not true multi-tasking like everyone believes. The card has to be refreshed when it opens back up, negating the multi-tasking in the first place. I'm more than happy I bailed. 2.1 is nice, but 1.5 works just fine. Theres also functional roms out with 1.6 working, that allows more apps like the google maps navigation and google goggles.
I personally like the widgets android has to offer as well.

robdmau

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
hmm, the only thing I noticed that refreshed was the browser cards... Games pause when you go out... Go back in and you un pause it where you left off... So what's all this rom stuff? Is that a hack that needs to be done to install certain apps? And only certain versions run certain apps? I saw the widgets and that's cool, and how you can add the apps to the home screen but pre does that with the app bar and the app windows... So what does andriod do better?

Still, do you want to go through 5 of them in the next 4 months? I did, biggest hassel ever. btw, its not true multi-tasking like everyone believes. The card has to be refreshed when it opens back up, negating the multi-tasking in the first place. I'm more than happy I bailed. 2.1 is nice, but 1.5 works just fine. Theres also functional roms out with 1.6 working, that allows more apps like the google maps navigation and google goggles.
I personally like the widgets android has to offer as well.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
The Android platform has an app launcher, just like the pre. You stick the ones you use the most on the home screen. Android has the widget, although not impossible for the Pre to handle, can't be done in its current design of the operating system. Android doesn't need to refresh the program. If you left the browser, twitter app, whatever, go to another program, then go back to it, it pops up immediately without refreshing. Thats true multi-tasking. Most of the apps run in 1.5. Only a select few don't. Its a surprising minority, but there are some cool ones I would like. Bluetooth File Transfer only works for 2.0 and above. Google Maps Nav and Google Goggles works with 1.6 and above. All the games I've seen on-line work on 1.5 just fine.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Depends on what you're looking for, and also what network you want to use. The Verizon Palm Pre Plus is much better than the Sprint Pre. It's faster and has a LOT more memory and the hardware is better made (doesn't have the "oreo" issue).

I'd say ease of use, "beautiful" interface, multi-touch, better web browser, officially supported hacking community (homebrew) is where webOS beats android.

Better touch screen (only on the more recent android devices) with better accuracy in clicking/selecting, faster app load, more apps, more choices of networks is where Android really wins.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Android has 10 times the apps WebOS does. It has a lager variety of hardware as well. WebOS has a nicer way of mutitasking.

It (sort of) does, but how many of those are apps you'd actually want to use?

The reason I say sort of is that Palm ENCOURAGES you to use homebrew apps (which are all free - so far). There's actually quite a few of those that are VERY useful and also a number of very useful homebrew patches to fix issues in WebOS.

Currently there are 420 apps in homebrew (and a number of patches as well). Adding that to the Palm official catalog, and there's about 1800 apps in total. I believe last count found 16,000 apps for Android. So, it's about 8.8 times as many. But seriously, how many are useless apps? Palm's official catalog also has useless apps, but the homebrew's % of useful apps is FAR higher than ANY other app catalog out there.