HUGE app size, majority is data using up lot of internal storage space-screenshot_2015-08-19-10-37-00.pngHUGE app size, majority is data using up lot of internal storage space-screenshot_2015-08-19-10-49-30.png

Clearly the app is sucking up huge and yet (slowly) increasing internal storage space. This is mainly due to the app's data sucking up enormous and yet (slowly) increasing internal storage space. How do I fix this? Clearing the app's data by using that clear data button there is very risky and seems wrong from the next PIC you get by clicking the button, what it says there.

Mobile is Huawei Ascend Y300-0100, but I do think that this issue is common for all mobiles over a long time period.

Thank you very much,
    Krishna
    08-22-2015 05:06 AM
    How big is your internal storage? Also are you able to move the application to external storage (SD card)
    08-22-2015 06:19 AM
    How big is your internal storage? Also are you able to move the application to external storage (SD card)
    2GB I think. I've already moved as many apps a possible to SD card.
    08-22-2015 06:49 AM
    Clearing data there will delete all your personal information in the app, including your chats, account info, preferences changed in the settings, etc. Basically the app will go back as it was when you downloaded it for the first time.

The best thing to do is going chat by chat and manually delete as much information as you can. You can backup that data from the Whatsapp settings, so it will be saved in case you want it back in the future.
    08-22-2015 07:38 AM
    Clearing data there will delete all your personal information in the app, including your chats, account info, preferences changed in the settings, etc. Basically the app will go back as it was when you downloaded it for the first time.

The best thing to do is going chat by chat and manually delete as much information as you can. You can backup that data from the Whatsapp settings, so it will be saved in case you want it back in the future.
    So the ENORMOUS number of messages in the chats sent and received are sucking up the space, right?

Some time ago I deleted all WhatsApp pictures, both sent and received. There was a total of a bit over 4,000 pictures in total. But even after that somehow there was a small increase in the app data size used up, not a decrease at all! Why?
    08-22-2015 08:44 AM
    2GB internal space is small these days, having larger space and you wouldn't have anything to worry about.
    08-22-2015 09:43 AM
    So the ENORMOUS number of messages in the chats sent and received are sucking up the space, right?

Some time ago I deleted all WhatsApp pictures, both sent and received. There was a total of a bit over 4,000 pictures in total. But even after that somehow there was a small increase in the app data size used up, not a decrease at all! Why?
    Yes, at least part of it.

When you delete pictures from WhatsApp you can decide to leave them still in your phone or not. If you just delete them in the chats you won't increase much your free storage.
    Attached Thumbnails HUGE app size, majority is data using up lot of internal storage space-205017.jpg  
    08-22-2015 09:52 AM
    Yes, at least part of it.

When you delete pictures from WhatsApp you can decide to leave them still in your phone or not. If you just delete them in the chats you won't increase much your free storage.
    OK, thanks so much for all help!

To save a lot of time, isn't it possible to delete an entire chat? What if I do the following which I got from WhatsApp FAQ?

To delete an individual chat

In the main chats screen, tap and hold on the chat you wish to delete.
    Tap Delete chat in the menu.

Thank you,
    Krishna

EDIT: I just did it, but for some reason no change occurs whatsoever. Why? Is this normal?

EDIT 2: Well nothing happens to the conversations list, like no change, on my mobile, but on WhatsApp web the chat now deleted would no longer appear on the conversations list. Then if u click on contacts tab and then click on the contact whose chat u just deleted, then a new chat pop up for them. Is this OK for me to do to save time rather than manually delete all messages of the chats? Safe?

Thank you very much,
    Krishna
    08-22-2015 12:30 PM
    2GB internal space is small these days, having larger space and you wouldn't have anything to worry about.
    Actually, 4GB is the internal storage space I got. I didn't even know that myself, thought it was 2GB. Just searched my mobile up online. Sorry for my mistake.
    08-22-2015 02:16 PM
    There are two different actions in WhatsApp. When you long press on a chat and select "delete" it will be removed from your list. The other option is If you open a chat, tap on the overflow menu (three dots top right), tap on "more" and select clear chat. This way you'll delete all messages and files included but not the chat itself.

Also, check in your gallery app for any folder related to WhatsApp. Maybe some of the pics are still there. It's very easy to delete them from there, just long press and a menu should pop up.
    08-23-2015 10:07 AM
    There are two different actions in WhatsApp. When you long press on a chat and select "delete" it will be removed from your list. The other option is If you open a chat, tap on the overflow menu (three dots top right), tap on "more" and select clear chat. This way you'll delete all messages and files included but not the chat itself.

Also, check in your gallery app for any folder related to WhatsApp. Maybe some of the pics are still there. It's very easy to delete them from there, just long press and a menu should pop up.
    Yesterday I deleted a chat, but nothing happened to the conversation list, like no change, on my mobile, but on WhatsApp web the chat got deleted and no longer appears on the conversations list. If I click on contacts tab and then click on the contact whose chat I deleted, then a NEW chat pops up for them. Is this OK for me to do to save time rather than manually delete all messages of the chats? Safe?
    08-23-2015 12:12 PM