Iam using the default whatsap drive backup feature on my Android phone(weekly).

I broke my galaxy s5 phone and cant turn it on.

bought new HUAWEI (without sdcard) and installed whatsapp. I skipped the backup restore coz I wanted to wait to buy sdcard first but still having whatsapp for the day.

Anyway after a day I decided to restore my whatsapp backup anyway (still without having sdcard on my device)

so I removed whatsapp and re-installed - this time I accepted the restore dialog.

It took couple of gigs to download (sounds like backup is working - yeyy)

Crises - after backup finished my chat messages that was shown were only from the prev day (since I installed whatsapp firstly on my new phone ).

but I was wondering how that could be? it downloaded atleast 4GB for a hour.

I checked inside the file system of the phone and found all media content at /Internal storage/Whatsapp/Media/

but seems like the linkage between my backup media and chat history (that came from the gdrive) is broken between my current chat list(or shall i say current whatsapp database).

I tried to delete the database file at /Internal Storage/Whatsapp/Databases/ (perhaps was a bad idea) and reinstalled whatsapp again.

Same behavior it takes only the last 'snapshot' of the prev day with broken linkage to my media and chat content (4gb)

Any idea??

thank you
    10-07-2017 11:11 AM
    Moved to the WhatsApp forum.
    10-07-2017 12:02 PM
    not sure why it's downloading 4gb and then only showing one days messages.

deleting local backup is a bad idea.
    when you had local backup what you would have to do is, first delete Google drive backup, then look for local backup that was made before restore, delete or move newer backups, move backups to the new folder that WhatsApp made in the new phone and try restoring again

hope i was clear, feel free to ask for details
    10-16-2017 07:55 AM