Hi all

I have WhatsApp on my Galaxy S7 which is set to backup to iCloud every 2AM in the usual way. Restoring from the last iCloud backup is straightforward but a few days ago I wanted to restore some messages from a particular day earlier than this. I went onto the WhatsApp website and into the FAQ section where I followed these steps as detailed:

To restore a less recent local backup

Your phone will store up to the last 7 days worth of local backup files (Google Drive will only have the most recent one). If you wish to restore a local backup which is not the most recent one, you will need to do the following:

- Download a file manager app.
    In the file manager app, navigate to sdcard/WhatsApp/Databases. If your data is not stored on the SD card, you may see "internal storage" or "main storage" instead of sdcard.
    - Rename the backup file you wish to restore from msgstore-YYYY-MM-DD.1.db.crypt12 to msgstore.db.crypt12. It is possible that an earlier backup may be on an earlier protocol, such as crypt9 or crypt10. Do not change the number of the crypt extension.
    - Uninstall WhatsApp.
    - Install WhatsApp.
    - Tap Restore when asked.

Problem - instead of restoring the data I wanted (and I know that the backup file I renamed was the one from the day in question) it restored only the last 24 hours of messages.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

Mark
    03-14-2018 12:29 PM
    I moved this to the WhatsApp forum for more specific traffic.
    03-14-2018 05:41 PM