Whatsapp Restore stuck at 24%-URGENT

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi All,

I have been trying to restore my whatsapp back up chats for over a week now. I have extracted them from google drive using the whatsapp extractor tool.

When i get to restoring it, the file continuously gets stuck at 24% then fails.

Any ideas on a fix for this??

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
Maybe they don’t respond to each email, but if this is indicative of a bug, then perhaps they’ll fix it if they receive enough complaints.

hmalik144

Aug 4, 2018
Visit site
I had this problem moving to a Mate 10 pro.

Get the whole whatsapp folder from the old phone and put it on the new phone (same directory where the whatsapp folder would go. It might already be there from the previous failed restore).
Then uninstall whatsapp and reinstall it and this time around it should restore locally and everything should be as you left it (and you will not need to download the media again since it is already on your new phone).

hope this helps

Osman Saral

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I've got a response from WhatsApp team :( I've lost thousands of messages

Hi,

Thanks for your message.

Sorry for the inconvenience. We are aware of the stuck on 24% issue and we are working on fixing it in a future update of WhatsApp. Unfortunately, we can't comment on any future release dates at this time.

Stuck on 24% means you have a corrupt or invalid chat database which is unrestorable.

harshdabriwal

Sep 25, 2018
Visit site
Same problem here. Contacted whatsapp support but i think they are aware of the issue and are just ignoring it as they doesnot have a fix. Got a reply "this might be due to corrupt backup database we cannot get your chats back."
I am trying to explain that i am still using my old device because its not being restored to a new one. Waiting for the reply.
But am sure that this is a software issue of whatsapp and i have came across other forums also where the chat history is too long say 3 or 4 or 5 years this problem is there. Hope this reaches whatsapp and they can fix it.

D

Deleted member 3086407

I was facing this exact problem over the past 2 days. I'm not sure if my method will work for everyone but this is what I did.
Restarted my phone to safe mode. Deleted the msgstore.db.crypt12 file under the whatsapp database folder. I restarted the phone normally. I backed up my whatsapp on my old phone, transferred the msgstore.db.crypt12 file into that folder. Then I opened whatsapp and it worked.

bpsingh

Jan 1, 2019
Visit site
I was facing this exact problem over the past 2 days. I'm not sure if my method will work for everyone but this is what I did.
Restarted my phone to safe mode. Deleted the msgstore.db.crypt12 file under the whatsapp database folder. I restarted the phone normally. I backed up my whatsapp on my old phone, transferred the msgstore.db.crypt12 file into that folder. Then I opened whatsapp and it worked.

Facing same problem, message could not restore after 24%. Pls any one help.
Kindly explain step by step process if anyone somehow able to restore message.,

MY database was around 440 MB in size and it contained official, personal messages for the last 4-5 years. I really want them back. anyone help pls....

Last edited by a moderator:

KOVIN RAJ JAYAGOBI

Mar 19, 2019
Visit site
MY database was around 440 MB in size and it contained official, personal messages for the last 4-5 years. I really want them back. anyone help pls....

The best solution is to delete some of your old personal and group messages that you haven't accessed since 2017. Upon deleting, back up your WhatsApp and you should be able to restore back all your messages. Try local back up and google back up. After 2 weeks I finally managed to solve the WhatsApp being stuck issue.

Almegawi Yasser

Aug 12, 2019
Visit site
The best solution is to delete some of your old personal and group messages that you haven't accessed since 2017. Upon deleting, back up your WhatsApp and you should be able to restore back all your messages. Try local back up and google back up. After 2 weeks I finally managed to solve the WhatsApp being stuck issue.

The problem is u cannot access to ur whatsapp.. then how to delete some of the group whatsapp

VALiKOV

Sep 3, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I'm facing the same problem. I'm trying to restore a backup from an Android 4.4.4, with WhatsApp 2.19.230, to 9.0 and the process gets stuck at 24%. Apparently, the database is corrupted. So far

• I've read and followed WhatsApp' FAQ
  • I've deleted archived chats and files, from ...\WhatsApp\Media, before 2017
and still it doesn't work. Would clearing the content from active chats older than 6 months and creating a new backup work? I've asked WhatsApp support this question yesterday and haven't received an answer.

Each installation has increased the verification time, now I'm waiting 48 hours to get another try.

Shuwer

Sep 3, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I'm facing the same problem. I'm trying to restore a backup from an Android 4.4.4, with WhatsApp 2.19.230, to 9.0 and the process gets stuck at 24%. Apparently, the database is corrupted. So far

• I've read and followed WhatsApp' FAQ
  • I've deleted archived chats and files, from ...\WhatsApp\Media, before 2017
and still it doesn't work. Would clearing the content from active chats older than 6 months and creating a new backup work? I've asked WhatsApp support this question yesterday and haven't received an answer.

Each installation has increased the verification time, now I'm waiting 48 hours to get another try.

Hey Valikov, greeting from Brazil.
Facing the same problem here.

I will do it tomorrow (waiting the for my confirmation code haha)
I will try to do the following:

1 - Change my gmail account to my backup be saved in another drive
2 - Delete all my conversations and media (probably all before 2019)
3 - Delete my paste from GB Whatsapp (I used to use GB Whats instead the normal)
4 - Try the backup from my old phone again
5 - Check if it works...

As you have to wait 48hours maybe I will come with good or bad news before you.